What is wrong with Carpenter and what should be done?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum What is wrong with Carpenter and what should be done?

This topic contains 148 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Avatar SoonerinNC 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    gmaske71
    Participant

Free

“Gyorko is back. I can’t see why we’re not playing him every day, letting him develop a regular’s rhythm. Oh yeah, that’s right. We have to do something with our .161 hitting leadoff man. I have liked Carpenter for a long time and have been one of his biggest supporters during his latest difficulties. But there comes a time when you have to think of the team. The man is clearly not himself. He’s not doing us any good. He’s hurting. It’s time to sit him down for a significant stretch of rest, recuperation and reflection.”

Since there is no way to directly reply to comments on this forum, I will simply say amen to this comment, with the sole qualification being that I am unsure how much “reflection” helps major league players hit the ball. I realize that on base percentage is the new batting average, and I understand this. But Carp simply isn’t hitting the ball a lot and this spoils his very good on base percentage for me.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think quoting the poster’s comments in your reply is actually a way of directly replying.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Welcome, gmaske71. Yes, there is a button right above where you type called “B-QUOTE”. When you paste in the reply you are quoting, highlight the text, click the button and it puts it in italics, like the following. It is not glamorous, but the function is there.

Since there is no way to directly reply to comments on this forum,

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I still think Carpenter will be just fine. His BABIP is horrendous right now at .190, or 128 points off his career average. Furthermore, a look into his batted ball data suggests he’s crushing the ball for the most part with a LD% and “soft” % both at the same levels as his career year in 2013.

I don’t know how much shifting messes with this data, but it can’t be that significant. I think I just trust the 6 years of hitting data over the one month sample. I also don’t get why someone like Holland gets a spring training pass, but Carpenter doesn’t.

I really feel like Carpenter, Fowler (.191 BABIP), and Wong (.218 BABIP) will pull out of this. Sadly, we have guys on the other end of the spectrum in Gyorko, DeJong, and Pham that will come back to earth at the same time.

More alarming to me is a guy with less of a track record in Ozuna, who is hitting poorly despite a good BABIP, and has terrible peripherals (2.7% BB-rate) Maybe he is pressing, maybe he just plays like this. I haven’t seen him enough to make a solid prediction like with the other three. Our great depth allows us to stay competitive with players that can fill in while the bad luck plays out.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Back in the day, a player would try and bunt when he was in a slump. I know he has been attempting to do so, but I would like to see Carpenter try multiple times per at bat. I don’t even think you have to be sneaky with as much room as there is on the left side of the infield. Just square around and put it within 10 feet or so of the line.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And I will agree with whoever said Matt ruined his swing trying to hit more homers.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Ozuna had a 7% walk rate two years ago and 9% last year. It seems clear he is pressing, probably because the entire lineup is struggling. Despite his terrible OBP and lack of Slugging, he is second on the team in RBI’s. Want him to get dialed in? Put more runners on base in front of him!!! Miami functioned well because players were getting on base. Pitchers had to pitch to either him or Stanton. The Cardinals don’t get on base.

This is the second year in a row Fowler and Carpenter have gotten off to slow starts, and it’s killing the team when it was constructed around the idea of OBP. I thought Wong had a breakthrough at the plate last year, but it seems to be a mirage…

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The bunting idea with Carpenter is a good one, especially when teams employ the shift on him. Another thing I believe Carpenter needs to do is be more aggressive early in the count. It seems he often gets good pitches to hit early, but never jumps on them.

As a hitter you gotta keep the pitcher guessing. The book on Carpenter is likely based on him not swinging at strikes early. So as a hitter you start attacking early in the count. When pitchers start to adjust, you pull back some and be a little more patient.

But the over-riding factor might be the change in his swing, where he upper-cuts more now than he did when he was going good. Supposedly he is aware of this and has worked on it, but in yesterday’s broadcast Rooney said he still seems to dip the back shoulder too much. That is part of the low BABIP, as he hits a lot of fly balls.

gmaske71
    Participant

Free

I think quoting the poster’s comments in your reply is actually a way of directly replying.

Well, sure, but ordinarily direct replies appear under the original post rather than perhaps on the next page of comments following. Makes it rather cumbersome to dialogue, although it probably makes it harder to fight, which may be the point.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d like him just to stick the bat out on every away pitch. That’s the beginning of hitting the ball the other way.

gmaske71
    Participant

Free

Welcome, gmaske71. Yes, there is a button right above where you type called “B-QUOTE”. When you paste in the reply you are quoting, highlight the text, click the button and it puts it in italics, like the following. It is not glamorous, but the function is there.

Thank you, Brian.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is part of the low BABIP, as he hits a lot of fly balls.

Carpenter’s FB% is lower this year (44.1%) than last year (50.8%) and his IFFB% is lower as well (4.8% to 0.0%)

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gmaske71, no, the function you’d prefer is not being withheld to inhibit fighting. We tried a variation of direct replying called nesting last summer, but the community gave it a thumbs down because the indenting made the discussions harder to read, so I gladly shut it off.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I think Marp will eventually start to hit again. He’s still got the eye and he says he’s not injured so you figure he will get it turned around. The lineup certainly could use the boost that the “normal” Carpenter provides.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

FIP,DIP BullSh*t.The fact remains neither Carpenter or Fowler are hitting worth a crap.Add in that neither plays defense worth a damn and you have two guys who need to go places .Carpenter to the DL and Fowler anywhere else.Carpenter in a Lefty Ty Wiggington now.Fowler is simply the Danny Jackson of OFs.Send him packing anywere .

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fowler and Bader should platoon in RF and Carp and JMart should platoon at 1B. Gyroko and Wong should play everyday because they at least bring defense to the table.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

blah blha blha… Fowler and Carp will turn it around just like they did last year…guys go into funks and if they are around long enough they work themselves out of them…we haev fine options to spell them when needed
    both Carp and Fowler both had game tying late or walkoffs to win us games last week with their terrible bats

if we were sitting on 8 wins or something like that…and hadnt played well against the DBacks and Mets then maybe id be more concerned about their anemic batting average…but right now for whatever reason we have been able to play pretty good without them doing well..and even in that case their terrible play have single handedly provided us with wins

to me…they get one more month to show improvement after that benching and pure platooning is the way to go…and the leash is always longer if the team is winning with them in the game

sometimes a guy can be hitting poorly but helping in unquantifiable ways…or obscure quantifiable ways

i cant run the numbers on this but maybe someone can

things like Carp sees a lot of pitches in ABss but doesn t get a hit or gets a walk may help the other gusy to get more time seeing pitches so they can be better prepared…the way he fights off ABs even if it ends terribly can still be a boon if it gets the pitch count up and so on

also..Fowler’s bat being a switch hitting one also can allow for harder to see advantages even if Fowler doesnt do well in the AB…the presence off a switch hitter changes the way opposing teams gameplan and manage the rest of the lineup and game and inning etc.

Fowler’s defense has been fine…and Carp has actually played pretty well even if peopel dont want to see it…and even if it looks ugly…it might not chart out well but he is making the plays in general that he needs to…

the organization will not throw away these players for nothing so if that is what you want then expect to be dissatisfied and not shocked when it goes away from what you want…that way you haven no reason to be upset…it’s a waste of time and is boring to read nationally or in forums

NJ315
    Participant

If it is boring why comment?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here’s some more boring words but IMO true.

When you have two or three players in spots in your lineup that aren’t producing its got to be a major problem. I don’t feel that other teams are too concerned about them right now, switch hitter or not.

Carpenter is playing the worst of anytime in his career, but he is a lifelong Cardinal product. The FO is more likely to wait and see on him. Honestly, its sad watching him play.These Cardinals are not helping us offensively or defensively. As for the RF spot we have a younger guy ready to step in everyday.

The person occupying that spot is ” last in and first out of the clubhouse”. But I don’t think that we can get rid of him anyway. His salary, no trade contract and the fact that he has little value prevents a trade. He should be on the bench now. The idea of “they get one more month to show improvement after that benching” doesn’t help this team in ANY way right now. Our RFer is an albatross.

Wong has gotten every possible chance to succeed. Being a #1 draft pick gets him special treatment. I don’t think he should be replaced, but man he is getting stale.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Avatar 14NyquisT.
    Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I find it ironic that someone thinks it is boring to read about other opinions concerning players and its a waste of time after that someone writes “War and Peace” length posts portraying fantasy trades etc;.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW, I was going to comment about that but I’m going to let it go today.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Matt Carpenter has already K’d three times tonight including one caught looking. Why is he playing over Gyorko?

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Matt Carpenter has already K’d three times tonight including one caught looking. Why is he playing over Gyorko?

The other part about this that doesn’t makes sense is Gyorko has absolutely destroyed his old team since becoming a Cardinal

grayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

I understand the point of a cardinals forum is to discuss these things, but cant those who are staunchly in the “trade carp” camp (been there for years) admit that if you want to do that you need to at least play him to get close to his career avg #s?

If hes done, hes done..i dont buy that but i firmly believe hes fading..but maybe the cards dont want to have two assets sitting on the bench, fowler is close.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years