What is wrong with Carpenter and what should be done?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum What is wrong with Carpenter and what should be done?

This topic contains 148 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Avatar SoonerinNC 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I wanted Carp traded in the offseason. That didn’t happen and look were the team is now…

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

I understand the point of a cardinals forum is to discuss these things, but cant those who are staunchly in the “trade carp” camp (been there for years) admit that if you want to do that you need to at least play him to get close to his career avg #s?

I’m not firmly in the “trade” Carp camp. I am firmly in the “bench” Carp camp for a more productive player. Use Carpenter as a bench bat. Use Fowler as a bench bat. Let your more productive players play, and you will win more games. This isn’t rocket science.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Not sure if you are being ironic BHC but last I looked this team was in first place.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hear that statement all the time CC but it is pretty weak actually. We are in first place despite Carp and Fowler not because of them. Big difference. If we had some production out of those two we might have a comfortable lead. As of now we are one game from fourth place.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Is there any way Carpenter could be sent down to Memphis to work on his hitting for a week or two? Same with Fowler?

r/Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is there any way Carpenter could be sent down to Memphis to work on his hitting for a week or two? Same with Fowler?

r/Rat

I don’t think so. They would have to give their permission which would never happen.

The only options are:

Continue to start them.
    Put them on the bench.
    Trade them.
    DFA them.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know Carpenter took an 0 for 4 last night. But I have a feeling he’s on the verge of a break-out. To me he just looks more determined, more focused than he has in awhile. I hope I’m right because he’s going to be on this team this year and next, regardless of what’s happening now. He has no trade value, so he’s not getting traded. They can’t DFA him after building him up to be a face of the franchise for the last several years. In his current condition he would be a drag to this team as an unproductive bench player, so you couldn’t really hide him there. IMO, if he doesn’t come around, the only thing they can do is play him until they can find a reason to DL him. But he couldn’t have lost his talent, and I doubt that he had it taken away from him by the devil which was Kurt Warner’s explanation for his demise as a Ram. So it seems highly possible that Carpenter could go on an offensive rampage at any time.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pass me the koolaid mud.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You have to apologize if I’m right.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh I will but I guess we have to define what breaking out is. At this point I would be happy if Carp and Fowler could at least get their average up to .200. Isn’t that sad?

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

But he couldn’t have lost his talent

Sometimes that happens though, mudville. Some guys don’t age well, or they develop bad habits and can’t seem to come out of it.

Carpenter seems to have lost something. I think he goes to the plate with a mindset that he is going to work for a walk first, and only swing if he has to. Then often he falls behind in the count, and the pitcher has the advantage.

He did actually swing at the first pitch once in a game I watched last week, but it was not a particularly good pitch. It was on the outside border, and he fouled it off. I think he needs to get more aggressive early in the count, but only on pitches he can drive. He’s just really messed up and is defensive in his approach, but this has gone on awhile.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice observation and comment, Mike. I think I was seeing hints of Carpenter righting his ship. Hopefully, its not just wishful thinking.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If I thought my job was on the line, which could be the case for MM if we don’t make the playoffs, I would become very pragmatic and go with current producers instead of historical producers.

grayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

serious question: is jedd gyorko discounted primarily because of his appearance?

I read an article re carpenter this am lamenting the fact that we are now resigned to have jedd as a starter, as a know quantity he (jedd) “is what he is”…excuse me?

Unlike carp, jedd was an elite hitting prospect…i remember before his draft year, and after his rookie season people talking about him as a realistic future 285/30 home run guy…and yes, he took a few years to develop. But developing he certainly has been. He has progressively improved in every area of his game including defensively. Not only is he a great replacement, i think he is a good starter in the NL and certainly the AL.

The only problem i can see people having with him is that he looks like the guy you call when someone calls in sick for softball and need a bench spot..your life insurance salesman or your CPA. At 29 years old, im perfectly comfortable with him as our starting 3b for the rest of this year and next.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great observation, Grays! We all know of a certain RedSox pitcher-Yankee slugger from yesteryear who made a pretty good name for himself and was not exactly as buff as a buffalo.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No, I don’t think Jedd is getting passed over because of his looks. He seems to be neglected due to the fear of overexposure, which is ironic because we have a few other players who have been completely overexposed but continue to play.

Jedd may be closer to a .275 hitter instead of .325 but I will take that with is solid defense and consistent pop compared to what we are getting out of Carp.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Please explain “overexposure”.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Until today…

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In the recent games I’ve been able to see, it looks like Carp has been going the other way more. Statistically I don’t know if that’s true but he’s had some oomph on shots to left that just haven’t found gaps. This offense badly needs him to go on a mudville tear.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes!

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Playing him more than he should be playing. See end of 2017. Guy was running on fumes.

It’s a concern! I don’t see him as a guy who can take 140 games in the infield and at the plate. However he looks in extremely better shape than his previous couple of seasons. So maybe that will give him a little more stamina.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Please explain “overexposure”.

When a player plays so much that their true tendencies come out and and can’t get by on luck and hot streaks.

This could happen to Jedd offensively but not defensively which is why I think he should play everyday. We need to focus on the things we can be good at.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carpenter has doubled his season doubles total in five games. His batting average is up to .194 from .140 after the first game in Minnesota.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe Marp took mud’s musings to heart. Since he got the seal of confidence, he’s hitting .400/.444/.640. Does it count as a mudville tear™ yet?

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years