What is wrong with Carpenter and what should be done?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum What is wrong with Carpenter and what should be done?

This topic contains 148 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Avatar SoonerinNC 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m wondering if gscottar is paying attention.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m thrilled that his bat has come to life although I wouldn’t pop the champagne corks until he at least gets over.200.

My latest quest is for him to play 1B only. It stinks having two DH’s trying to share 1B.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mark my words, this is the week where either Carpenter or Ozuna begin their hot streak…..and it’s going to be a doozy! Fowler? I’m not sure if Fowler has it in him any longer. His hot streak this year may consist of getting a hit in consecutive games while not committing any bone headed plays on the base paths or in the field.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Carpenter is hitting, I’d much rather see him at 1B, also. I thought I could get used to J. Martinez’ lack of defense. But I don’t know anymore. Its really been tough.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The .900 OPS Martinez has a lot of value even if his defense is subpar. At .800, he still has value but probably not more than a “normal” Carpenter at 1B.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

At this point Carp is hot and so Is Martinez. So they both need to be deployed. It just sucks that it’ll likely bite us in the rear on defense once a week.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

At this point Carp is hot and so Is Martinez. So they both need to be deployed. It just sucks that it’ll likely bite us in the rear on defense once or twice a week.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carpenter is fine defensively at 3B when his arm is right. Not sure the issue. He has ample defensive data saying the same thing. He’s plus at 1B, slightly below at 3B, and vastly below at 2B.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pads, when is his arm right?

In the SABR Defensive Index last season Carpenter ranked 7th among NL first basemen at 0.3. Slightly above average.

In 2016 at third base, his SDI was -0.6, 11th in the NL. Below average.

In 2015 at third base, his SDI was -7.2, second to last in the NL. Far below average.

In 2014 at third base, his SDI was -2.1, 11th in the NL. Below average.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With the home run in his last at bat, Carpenter is now sitting at a 101 wRC+ for the season. Quick turnaround from his woeful start to the season to just about average.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Amazingly he has a .951 OPS for May, including his 0 for 21 streak.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW, putting stock in the 2016 data seems wrong since he only had 400+ innings. His 2017 and 2018 limited data looks much better and the pre-2015 time at 3B was better, still below-average.

I’m curious, does the AL just have worse 3Bmen? Because UZR rates players compared to their peers and he hasn’t been atrocious at 3B except for 2015. Your NL ranks suggest he’s awful.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You can view SDI data on the SABR website. https://sabr.org/sdi

The SDI is a combination of metrics, of which UZR is a part. They were chosen by the most knowledgeable experts in the field and are accepted as 25% of the Gold Glove Award scoring, so they seem highly credible to me as a summary of defensive prowess.

400+ innings was considered significant enough to SABR to include him, and they do not include everyone. Three consecutive years of below average data on his defense at third seems definitive and FWIW, my eye test agrees.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Great to have Carp’s old bat back in play. It makes a huge difference when he’s raking. I agree with those that say he should be limited defensively to 1B. Putting him at 2B and 3B is just asking for trouble. We’ve seen it often over the last three years.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While he’s hot he has to play somewhere… anywhere. IMO the best option is 2B.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

he’s looked pretty good defensively at every position he has played…some extremely good plays at 1b and some nice double play turns too

he wont win any GGs but let’s not act like he is flailing away at any of those positions…i hate watching the way he throws the ball as much as anyone else but it tends to get the job done

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Carp shouldn’t ever play 2nd base..

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

he did last night and the team and the defense did just fine

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One game is small sample size, or so I’ve been told.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is clearly a tremendous turnaround and Carpenter’s efforts are considerable.

Having said that, his resurgence has made no discernible effect on the bottom line. In fact, on May 15, the inflection point noted below, the team was six games above .500, at 22-16. Since then, they are just 27-31, four games below even.

Maybe we should say Carpenter has helped keep them afloat. The team clearly could use more hot bats.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Having said that, his resurgence has made no discernible effect on the bottom line. In fact, on May 15, the inflection point noted below, the team was six games above .500, at 22-16. Since then, they are just 27-31, four games below even.

The team is worse when Carpenter is hitting well, and better when he’s stumbling? That is the worse stat that I’ve heard in a long time. Does this even make sense? The team is worse because of the fact that only a few guys are even close to their baseball card stats. And, of course the premier bullpen the FO put together.

You can’t put the current state of affairs on Carpenter.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I think we all know that Ny. It would just make a better story if Carpenter’s resurgence powered the team to some success. On the telecast today, Dan suggested that if Carpenter continued like this and the team makes the post-season, he would be a legitimate MVP candidate. Much better than the time A-Rod won the MVP on a last-place team, IMO.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Carpenter puts this rag-tag bunch on his back and carries them to the play-offs, he should be considered for sainthood. Saint Carp.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cards have needed such a player since Albert Pujols departed. IMO, you cannot substitute quantity for the highest level of quality.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

More Carp numbers.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years