Wainwright contract

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wainwright contract

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Perhaps, but the way I see it, a Morton-type contract that doesn’t include Morton-type money, makes zero sense. It is the very most basic of contracts – one year, $15 MM. That is it.

Trying to give Wainwright the benefit of the doubt, maybe he meant that he no longer thinks he should have to accept an incentive-driven deal since he hasn’t been hurt in two years. But if so, and he thinks he should get a straight salary offer at 39 years of age, that would be at least as much of an non-starter for me as if he really wants $15 MM.

Given the current financial climate, my guess is that the Cards will want to hedge their financial bets more than ever in 2021. If he wants a base-only contract, then it would have to be half “Morton-type” money or less to get my interest. There are going to be a lot more pitchers on the market in just a few days, including many younger and lower health risk options.

Bottom line, I cannot spin that remark positively unless it was said in jest…

Participant

Paid - Three Months

Young pitching is the opposite of young hitting in many cases. We are getting minimal value on guys like Gomber, Cabrerra, Helsley, et all. Wainwright is eating up that value in addition to his salary.
    On the other hand, Adam is one of my all time favorites, and I am interested in a base under eight figures.
    Both Yadi and Waino have made far more money than they could ever spend. I wonder how important respect for the fans, the game, and the world’s current economic state is to them.
    I suspect Adam will be back, and Yadi will be an Angel.

Participant

I suspect Adam will be back, and Yadi will be an Angel.

That’s about how I see it. I hope that this will pan out.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s about how I see it. I hope that this will pan out.

If Yadi is gone, I don’t want Waino back. We have other pitchers, but we have a giant black hole at major league catcher. This team will win 75-80 games next year with what we have behind the plate.

Participant

Free

I took Waino’s comment as him saying that he would sign right away for that much. It would be like Knizner saying he would take a deal like Trout’s, he doesn’t expect it but he would take it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bottom line, I cannot spin that remark positively unless it was said in jest…

I think it was said in jest. My take is that Waino would probably sign whatever the Cardinals offer, within reason, but he first wants to see what Yadi is going to do. It may be a long wait because I think Yadi and his entourage are living in fantasyland and will have to learn the hard way what his value is.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe it’s Adams way of saying he’d play elsewhere, especially on a Morton type deal. “I’d sign today…”

Surely Yadi and Adam have a yrs/$ they’d like to sign for, and I wouldn’t expect them to wait around on STL to get it, especially this winter.

It’s surprising Adam doesn’t know if STL will make him an offer, after his last two contracts got done immediately.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Waino’s comment was not presented in any context, so we can only guess how it was delivered. However, I have to agree that he cannot be so far out of touch with reality that he expects $15 MM.

It was said to a Chicago writer, so perhaps Waino meant that it would take at least that much money just for him to wear a Cubs uniform. 😉

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m thinking that Waino hasn’t heard from anyone yet, and he’s beginning to worry that his career as a player might be over. That’s all. It’s hard to imagine Waino pitching anywhere else, but if Yadi goes to the Angels, he could follow him. Both Yadi and Waino could really help the Angels, IMO.

If Yadi and Waino leave, it would truly mark the end of an era. I’m inclined to agree that 75-80 wins might be all for the Cardinals in 2021 without Yadi behind the plate. But the transition has got to happen sometime. If O’Neill finally becomes the offensive presence many expect him to be, and if Carlson turns out to be the star many expect him to be, and if we find some offense for 3B (Montero?), this team will still be good enough to compete in the Division.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s surprising Adam doesn’t know if STL will make him an offer, after his last two contracts got done immediately.

Two differences this time would be the Cardinals don’t yet know what their budget will be and Yadi is also a free agent. The two players seem to be linked together like Thelma and Louise.

I would say there is an 80% chance that both return to St. Louis. It is just going to take awhile to get done. I think the Cardinals are in the driver’s seat because other teams aren’t going to factor in the legacy angle in negotiations.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Very interesting analogy, remembering how Thelma and Louise ended…

P.S. Being a car guy, I was more concerned about the Thunderbird than the characters… 😉

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

“Wainwright, for one, said his agent has yet to receive a formal offer from any team…”

https://twitter.com/markasaxon/status/1336833109342507008

Participant

Free

If any rumor of mutual interest in Joc Pederson is real. It’s my opinion that Adam Wainwright would be the payroll to slash. They could look to Asia to fill the void but IMO they’ll look internally to fill his spot and IMO they’d seriously consider it. We have some arms to throw out as a 5th starter.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Adam just carried our staff again. He put up 65 IP and Hudson, Flaherty and Kim all come in at 39 or 40 IP. I’d want Wainwright back and use Molina funds for a bat, if it’s pick one.

Jason Castro or Curt Casali would be fine with me to pair with Knizner, and much cheaper on a one year deal.

Flaherty may be viewed as our ace long term, but it was Adam last season. No starter competes better on our staff, that you can count on.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Adam just carried our staff again. He put up 65 IP and Hudson, Flaherty and Kim all come in at 39 or 40 IP. I’d want Wainwright back and use Molina funds for a bat, if it’s pick one.

I totally agree with this. I would choose Waino over Yadi everyday of the week.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

well…id like to act outraged, but it would be feigned outrage. I like adam, and i always will. Also, id take his word over an ex angles staffer unless he has proof via text etc. If anything maybe this causes him to just come to the table for real talks with dewitt.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s probably the spray on stick-em’ from Yadi’s chest protector!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wainwright would be the LAST person I would ever expect to knowingly cheat. They had better have solid evidence before making that kind of accusation.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hmmmm … I seem to remember a ball getting stuck to Yadi’s chest protector during a games last season. Am I remembering correctly?

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

You are remembering correct 1964.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Time flies. It was in April 2017.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Goold in his chat today:

“It is entirely possible that Adam Wainwright is not with the Cardinals on opening day, but Adam Wainwright is a Cardinal by season’s end.”

Participant

Paid - Annual

I wish Goold would translate that.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years