Wainwright contract

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wainwright contract

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

To Joe Lunchbucket, neither the game nor the players are defined solely by stats. So a player’s value to the organization isn’t either. Not solely. I do not follow the game like I did, so I likely will not know at any given time who leads the staff in WAR, or ERA, or wins (which doesn’t matter, except to Joe Lunchbucket), but if I happened to notice Waino was scheduled to start I just might tune in to see him. Which is more than can be said about whoever is atop the WAR ranking.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Cardinals didn’t have a bevy of highly talented, promising young pitchers, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to bring Wainwright back again especially since he only needs to be able to give the team 4 or 5 innings to be viable in the rotation. But with things as they are, it makes sense to let Waino step aside and give one of these deserving (and less expensive) young men a chance. Mozeliak once made a comment that there comes a time when a player needs to realize that it’s time for him to get off the train. OTOH, if Wainwright wants to stick around and try to knock down a few more millions, that’s his business.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mark Saxon had a chat today. Either he has a scoop on significant changes made to the March agreement or he is mistaken. Here is his answer to a question about the contracts of Carpenter and Wainwright this season.

“Carpenter’s option is not going to vest now. Wainwright’s incentives won’t trigger. The Cardinals will save some money in both cases, which I’m sure they’re thrilled about given diminished revenues.”

https://theathletic.com/1830328/2020/05/22/live-qa-with-cardinals-reporter-mark-saxon/

From March:

“In the event of an additional interruption or delay, the salary shall be determined by multiplying his full-season salary by the games played by the player’s club divided by 162. Thresholds and amounts for bonuses, escalators and vesting options would be reduced by using the same formula.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2020/03/27/details-of-mlb-players-union-agreement-on-2020-21-seasons/111468538/

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would be shocked if this was the case. The MLBPA would want to protect performance incentive clauses (or, at least the opportunity to earn half the negotiated incentive). In turn, this would be a huge disincentive for players with such clauses in their contracts.

It would seem to me that the MLBPA would have negotiated a method to allow players to earn as much as 50% of the negotiated incentive clauses.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wainwright talks about being in the booth.

As a related aside, I was asked on a radio appearance just today if I thought he would turn down playing in 2021 to join FOX.

I said, “Absolutely not. He is not done pitching and he will be just as desirable as a broadcaster in 2022 as he is now.”

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

5mil guaranteed with 5mil in incentives is the same as his 2020 contract. Glad to have him back.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Book it, Dano. Who is coming off the roster, though?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d say the “roster relief” article would be a good starting point.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The four Cardinals eligible are officially free agents – Wainwright, Molina, Brad Miller and Wieters.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

If there is no NL DH in 2021 the Cardinals might need to bring Waino back for his bat if nothing else.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

too funny!
    +1

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Athletic reports the Braves are interested in Wainwright. Can’t blame them one bit.

https://theathletic.com/2171767/2020/10/30/adam-wainwright-atlanta-braves-mlb-free-agency/

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It would be close to home for him. The Braves have done well lately by picking up players from St Louis in free agency.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Go back to Terry Pendleton and Bruce Sutter.

But hey, the Cards got Ron Gant and Bob Horner and a few starts by John Smoltz on his way to retirement.. 😉

Correction: I went by memory. Gant actually played a year in Cincy between and Smoltz pitched a partial season with the Red Sox in between, so technically I guess they don’t count.

Participant

Paid - Annual

This would the logical landing spot for Waino if he leaves since he is from Georgia. The Braves have had success the last two years with veterans on one year deals with Donaldson and Ozuna so they may try it again.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To be fair, the Braves also got burned by paying an end of career Cole Hamels $18 million (prorated) to make a grand total of one start this past season.

Waino won’t make $18 obviously and will sell some tickets, but gambling on older guys carries more risk.

I doubt Braves fans think any less of John Smoltz because he spent his last year with two other teams. If Wainwright likes the offer from Atlanta better and decides to leave, I will wish him well. It is his career, after all, not ours.

On the other hand, we are probably fooling ourselves if we think the Cards are going to turn around and spend the $10 MM or so allocated for him on others if he leaves. Until I see it, I will assume that is not happening.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Uh, Adam, if you are serious about wanting $15 million, then you should already know why the Cardinals did not insult you by making an early offer…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Newsflash: EVERY free agent is unsure where he will sign. After all, that is how it works.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting take on Waino’s situation. VEB thinks that Waino is ready now but Yadi isn’t. I do agree with his conclusion that brining the two back but letting Wong leave does not make the team better at all.

Eventually, I think this gets done. The desperate financial situation in the game is going to determine Molina’s market value. There won’t be much sentiment-money outside of St. Louis. Once that becomes clear to Molina, he will return – likely for the two years he wants but at a lower price than he’s currently demanding. Let’s say 2/$22M. Wong’s 2021 salary becomes Molina’s 2021 salary and the team is worse for it.

The moment that happens the Cards will sign Wainwright to the same deal he signed in 2020, plus or minus a few million. There will be a big, celebratory press conference, with much rejoicing.

In the end, the celebrations and back-slapping will hide the fact that the Cardinals won’t be a better team than they were last year.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If Waino really wants a “Charlie Morton type deal”, he is going to waiting a long time.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Waino said he would take a Morton type deal. That doesn’t mean he will demand it. I think he is smart enough to know he isn’t getting anything close to $15M. He is just waiting on Yadi.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years