Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Viewing 25 posts - 826 through 850 (of 2,872 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we do a blockbuster trade with the Rays I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kelly go there.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t mind seeing Kelly go in an Archer deal. If they could do it without giving up Reyes, that would be quite the rotation for the next 4 years.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Rays are likely asking for too much. There’s a good chance that a trade with the Rays doesn’t happen.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Pads, what do you see Kelly doing in the next three seasons? Molina has that left on his new contract. And I’ve read that it’s Matheny who has given Kelly more instruction. It seems that Molina would rather have a MLB backup catcher on the roster instead of someone capable of replacing him permanently. I don’t blame him that’s human nature. What peeves me is that he will be telling Matheny who catches and when. But please respond to the question on the opening of this comment.
    Keep in mind that after Knizner at AAA, the catching depth chart gets thin. There will be two catchers on our top-50 countdown list. Kelly and Knizner.
    What should we do, trade Kelly (see him blossom elsewhere) and wait for Knizner and then go out to find some depth somewhere else. (like the signing of Pena).

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

None of the top free agents have signed yet. Very unusual. I wonder long it will be before Boras starts talking about collusion, how unfair the system is, the luxury tax, and how no one would listen to him when he pointed out the injustices in the last CBA.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Other organizations would kill to have our catching depth. 3 guys like molina, kelly and knizner is nearly unheard of…

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Phillies signed Carlos Santana 3/60. Why? Do they expect to compete? They have to be at least 3 years away.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Angels sign Cozart 3/38. Simmons available for the right price?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Do we know yet whether Santana got no-trade protection? If he didn’t, I think we can guess what is going to happen in late July.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Angels say they signed Cozart to play third. No indication they plan to move Simmons. Since they also say they want better infield defense, trading their all-world fielding SS would seem counter-productive. They also just added Ian Kinsler to play second.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder what Cozart’s asking price was. 3/38 sounds pretty reasonable given the kind of year he had last year, and taking into consideration how the market usually responds to one really good year.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Billy Eppler is doing an amazing job with the Angels given what he had to work with when he took over.

There is no way the Angels are trading Simmons, they are building a defense that doesn’t let balls get out of the infield…

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Maybe instead of trying to pry Donaldson away from the Blue Jays, the Cardinals should just focus on their relievers….

Toronto relievers

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Both JD Martinez and Dexter Fowler play rather statuesque defense. Martinez is a MOTO bat. Maybe we should flip Fowler to Toronto for a reliever and sign Martinez as a second MOTO.

Dominic Leone’s stats look pretty good.

The problem is Fowler’s NTC.

Well, also the Red Sox

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Actually, the more sensible solution would be let Boston sign Martinez and trade JBJ.

Cards acquire JBJ.

Cards ship Fowler to Toronto (which was one of the teams the Cardinals outbid for him last year) for relievers.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think JD Martinez is going to SF Giants.He has stated he doesn`t want to be a DH and wants to play OF.Giants shed some 9 million in Matt Moore trade and are looking to shed more.
    Concerning TB i think that ship has sailed (TB asking too much) and i think MO/Girsch sign another bullpen guy who has some closing experience (Adison Reed,Tony watson,or Bud Norris etc; but not one of the high dollar closers (wade Davis,Greg Holland).
    I also think Cards shift gears to adding another solid bat from the LH side who can play 1B-OF (Logan Morrison,Mitch Moreland) cheaper veteran bat.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

I agree that I think Mo & Girsch are moving on from Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay is notoriously difficult to deal with.

If they want a reliever, they should work on a trade with Toronto, since evidently that is the commodity Toronto is willing to move. Toronto also needs an OF and 2B, and what do you know, we seem to have some extras.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is a option although i think Cards might keep Grichuk around as 4th OF/bench bat since Bader has options left and can play everyday at Memphis.Jose Martinez can only play corner OF or 1B.I think Cards keep ONeill and J A Garcia for Memphis OF with Bader.If Grichuk is traded then Bader would be your main OF reserve with ONeil and Jose Martinez as LF-RF backups.O`Neill has played CF but is he ready for a big league gig in CF ………..i think his comfort zone would be RF-LF.Thats another reason i think Grichuk stas.Maybe Toronto might be interested in Mercado instead?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Don’t forget that even if Pham is named the every-day CF, Fowler would be the primary reserve. As noted, Grichuk is expendable. If an injury occurs, they simply call up Bader as the reserve and start Martinez in the corner.

The make up of the 2018 roster is unclear. If they go with eight relievers, which is quite possible, there would be only four bench spots for hitters, making Martinez’ versatility even more important.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I thought Moore was a guy Mo should/would look at. Low hanging fruit 🙂 He had a reasonable contract, could eat some innings, would come cheap, and had the potential to break out. Oh well.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

There is another way for the Cardinals to get two very good relievers without giving up a Fortune.

Miami is in fire sale mode. They want to dump salary as much as possible. They have two relievers who put up awful numbers last year, but are in the final years of their respective contracts – Zeigler and Tazawa. Combined, they are set to make $16 million this year.

Cardinals want cost controlled relievers, Miami wants to dump salary.

So trade Grichuk (Miami still needs outfielders) + Connor Jones for Zeigler, Tazawa, Barraclough & Streckenrider.

Cardinals cut Zeigler and Tazawa immediately, and are left with Barraclough and Streckenrider.

Maybe also give the Marlins Breyvic Valera to clear an extra roster space.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I really liked Matt Moore at Tampa Bay, but I have to wonder what happened to him in San Francisco. He turned awful, leading the NL in runs allowed this season. The Cards don’t need another highly-paid starter on the downside of his career. They already have Wainwright, who coincidentally led the league in runs allowed in 2016.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If MO is counting on Pham/Fowler for a whole season without injury or vision issues he is smoking something.Jose Martinez plays OF poorly and is barely adequate at 1B.I count him in the Pham group- never done it before and probably never will again.I don`t think you get the light to come on at 29-30 and stay at that level.I look for regressions on both this season.That is why i hope grichuk sticks around.He plays good defense at all OF spots and offers pop off the bench and runs the basses well.As for roster versatility
    CATCHER-Molina kelly
    INF- MCarp-Wong-DeJong-Gyorko-G Garcia-
    OF-Fowler-Pham-Ozuna-Grichuk-Jose Martinez( 1B-LF-RF)
    that is 12 position guys.If hthey keep Jairo Munoz as a INF/CF reserve that means 12 pitchers. 5 starters 7 bullpen.
    As of right now my guess
    SP-C Martinez-Wacha-Weaver-Mikolas- Wainwright
    BP- Lyons-Cecil-Gregerson-Bowman- Tuivailala-Alex Reyes-Brebbia or Sherriff

If Wainwright isn`t ready i expect Flaherty to SP
    If alex Reyes can`t go i expect Josh Lucas or John Gant to RP.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

I like what Cozart said to Eppler:

Cozart-Eppler

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

More on Cozart signing

OC Register

Viewing 25 posts - 826 through 850 (of 2,872 total)
  • The topic ‘Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018’ is closed to new replies.