Cardinals Team Hall of Fame

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals Team Hall of Fame

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 326 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Seriously, Brian. I’m a big Tudor fan. I liked him a lot while he was here. But let’s not get carried away about him. I know wins and losses aren’t a huge deal, but here’s his record here –

1985: 21-8 (terrific year)
    1986: 13-7
    1987: 10-2
    1988: 6-5
    1990: 12-4

Is that really the stuff that makes the Cardinal Hall of Fame?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I understand your point of view, but the Red Ribbon Committee, a group of some very knowledgeable people including Whitey and TLR, collectively voted to put Tudor on the fan ballot several years before Herr.

In all honesty, I would have limited Modern Era inductees to one per year several years ago and will continue to lobby to pull back now that the backlog of obvious candidates has pretty much been addressed.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Do Tony, Whitey, and the Committee have a system? Or is it somewhat the “pet player” syndrome.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C’mon. Do you really think it is a free-for-all? That is insulting.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I want to be clear that I am not advocating either Tudor or Herr, therefore not one over the other. I am just guessing how I think the fan vote might turn out. However, as noted before, since Herr is new to the ballot, there could be some pent up demand. The only player on the ballot I have firmly endorsed is Hernandez.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Come on. What’s insulting about asking if there’s a system, or specific analytical approach?

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Would love to see Bill White get in with Hernandez. Two great Cardinal first baseman.

Can not compare pitchers to hitters as far as “who contributed more”. Tudor was simply great as a Cardinal. He is still the all time leader in ERA (modern era) and WHIP. He consistently gave his team a chance to win. Granted he was not with the club as long as some others, but was here long enough to merit HOF status in my opinion.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Mike – I agree that Tudor was mesmerizing and had some great moments, but here are his starts as a Cardinal –

1985 – 36
    1986 – 30
    1987 – 16
    1988 – 21
    1990 – 22 (was in 25 games)

So he really only had 2 totally full seasons as a Cardinal.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

It’s the Koufax vs Spahn situation. Do you take the guy who was consistently excellent over many years, or the guy who was exceptional over a shorter time frame? I go with the latter on this one due to John’s all time marks in two big pitching categories, but understand there are merits in taking the longer term guy.

In fact I did that when McGwire was voted in. I voted for Hernandez as I felt he contributed more than Big Mac. But fans liked the incredible accomplishments McGwire attained while here, not to mention the Met stigma Keith has with many fans.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Our recap article will go up as soon as all the honorees are announced.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It’ll be interesting if they induct a player who really only had two full seasons as a Cardinal.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That could not happen as any player with fewer than three seasons is ineligible. But anyone of the seven players on the fan ballot is eligible and my experience suggests that people vote with their hearts, far more than by data.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Tudor only had 2 what could be called full seasons.

85 – 36 starts
    86 – 30 starts
    87 – 16 starts
    88 – 21 starts
    90 – 22 starts (was in 25 games)

When he came to the Cards in 1985, he was 31 years old.

Herr came into the Cardinals system when he was 19 and was in the organization until he was 32.

Herr was in 1,029 games for the Cardinals. He was the starting second baseman on the 1982 World Championship team and on the 2015 and 2017 World Series teams.

Tudor only was in 118 games for the Cardinals. He wasn’t on a Cardinal World Championship team, pitched a full season on the 1985 World Series team, and only had 16 starts on 1987 team.

It will be a travesty if Tudor is inducted over Herr.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Herr absolutely. Check my user name. 🙂

Participant

Paid - Annual

Good 1st choice by the fans –
    Tommy Herr.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Tudor over Hernandez?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Big difference between the Herr interview and the Tudor interview.

Participant

Paid - Annual

yes, congrats to all three. no Hernandez surprises me

Participant

Paid - Annual

Fans have memories like elephants……white stuff and then pond scum.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I think you are being unfair to elephants, considered some of the most intelligent beings on earth! 😉

Seriously, I wish I knew what the percentage of opposition on those two points are. The former says the fans cannot forgive and forget, which is really too bad, but at least he was guilty as charged.

The latter makes no sense at all. Hernandez did not decide where he was traded. Whitey is the one who traded him in the division. Do fans really prefer that Hernandez stopped being good after being traded as Herr did? Hernandez is being penalized because he continued to perform at a high level with NY, which is totally wrong. Further, what he did elsewhere should be separate from what he accomplished as a Cardinal.

On the latter point, I also sense that Steve Carlton is being discriminated against because he was too good later on. Again, he was traded in the division due to no fault of his own.

I cannot support that logic and never will. I would have no problem with a player being a member of multiple team Halls of Fame if worthy. Nolan Ryan is in three of them.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Petty Cardinals fans strike again. Snubbing Hernandez is becoming a joke.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I voted for Hernandez and Carlton.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hernandez I believe had critical remarks about the Cards after being traded. Since many people at the time knew Whitey had covered big time for him he was considered a hypocrite. Elephants have great memories. And many fans do too. My comment was actually complimentary of elephants.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My comment was actually not complimentary of voters. I wonder how the view is up there on their high horses, er… elephants! 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 326 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years