Thomas out and Hurst in

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Thomas out and Hurst in

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just because fans may doubt it, there’s no way the team is going to move their best infield prospect to the outfield til there’s more certainty that Nolan is here and healthy. I am sure that Gorman could learn to play the OF but there’s still no reason to rush it. They can buy an OF next year and have Carlson in one corner and Bader or O’Neill in CF. Gorman can compete for 2B and DH.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

They could also have Edman play CF and Gorman play 2B. I’m sure Edman could learn CF rather quickly after playing the corner OF.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mlb is full of left fielders who don’t have any speed like Gorman. Not an impediment. Another question might be why wasn’t Nogowski shifted to OF the moment Goldy signed, or at least before now.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This isn’t fantasy baseball. Why not use the excess cash this winter to sign an established outfielder and leave Gorman and Edman alone?

bccran
    Participant

Here’s an interesting idea. Gorman can alternate playing some infield and some LF at Sauget. Apologies for such an off the wall thought.

bccran
    Participant

Why, Brian? Because you and I both know that NA is penciled in at 3B for the next few years and Edman is penciled in at 2B.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There are many options even without the DH expected next year. Edman could return to utility or DeJong could be replaced, for example. The key point is that whatever the biggest need is going to be this winter, they should have enough cash to fill it without another position change for Gorman.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

But if 2B doesn’t work out for Gorman, the OF could be next to try.

bccran
    Participant

Brian, you also know that the Cards don’t want to spend big long term FA dollars on a player they haven’t test driven in a Cardinal uniform.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here’s an interesting idea. Gorman can alternate playing some infield and some LF at Sauget. Apologies for such an off the wall thought.

Gorman’s bat, not his defense, is going to determine his major league impact. Do we really want him spending excess time learning new defensive positions when he needs to refine his hitting? I would like to see Gorman be ready for 2022 and not fiddling around playing musical positions.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, you also know that the Cards don’t want to spend big long term FA dollars on a player they haven’t test driven in a Cardinal uniform.

They did it with Goldschmidt.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think there will be at least one significant acquisition next offseason and maybe two. It could be by trade or FA. Remember that even though we got Goldy via trade he was signed to a long term deal before he every played a regular season game in a Cardinal uniform.

bccran
    Participant

No, but they checked off every Goldy box before they extended him.

They simply aren’t going to make another Fowler type mistake.

This isn’t rocket science. They moved Kelly to catcher. They moved Piscotty to the outfield. If they want Gorman in the lineup every day there’s a distinct possibility it will be in LF. Not for sure. Just a distinct possibility. He worked out there during ST.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Most likely Gorman will be at 2B/DH next year and there will be a significant OF acquisition from outside the organization. And hopefully a significant starting pitcher acquisition also.

bccran
    Participant

Maybe by trade. But not by a huge FA contract. The M.O. now is the Ozuna, Goldschmidt, Arenado acquisition profile. Just hope they don’t dilute the minors too much.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well gorman is going to have to hit a lot better than what I saw in spring training to justify moving him around a bunch of different positions rather than trade for or sign someone that has proven they can hit at the major league level

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bc forgets that the Cards were all set to sign David Price to a huge deal before the Red Sox swooped in. Fowler and Leake were both $$ signings at a time when there was money to be spent, just like there will be this offseason. Good front offices don’t limit themselves to only one type of acquisition strategy.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why not use the excess cash this winter to sign an established outfielder and leave Gorman and Edman alone?

I, too, like the idea of spending Bill’s money. But as to Gorman, what is he supposed to do?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I, too, like the idea of spending Bill’s money. But as to Gorman, what is he supposed to do?

For now, he will need to perform at Memphis and keep honing his defense. If he’s tearing it up there this year, he’ll be a nice problem to deal with next year. There are always plate appearances available for guys who hit. He could (in a perfect world) play 2B 60-80 times next year, 3B and/or 1B 10 times each and DH 50 times and get 130-150 starts in, if he’s playing that well.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran, boaters say it is dangerous to steer a boat by its wake. Just because the Cardinals acquired their last two stars via trade doesn’t mean they will always act in that manner. There are threads on this site and elsewhere that identify how much money is coming off the books this winter. It is significant and the current course suggests more offensive help will be needed.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If he’s tearing it up there this year, he’ll be a nice problem to deal with next year

I think the point is a bit of planning in advance would be a good idea. Not that I am confident we will have drafted a third baseman who turns into a keeper. Mo and his computer have a rather inglorious track record in that area.

bccran
    Participant

Here’s what you have to ask yourself.

1.) If Edman doesn’t play 2B, where does he play? He sure as heck doesn’t fit a corner outfield profile. And as many of you have said, the Cards really like Bader’s defense in CF.

2.) Who’s going to play LF if O’Neill doesn’t get his act together. Name one of our minor league outfielders who can fill that spot over the next 3 years.

Take a risk on a big name FA? Don’t think so. And don’t use Price as an example. Unless you want to show why you don’t want to make that kind of mistake. I’m sure that’s what BDW, Jr. is thinking.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Great that you can read DeWitt’s mind, not only today, but in the future. You will have to excuse the others of us who maintain an open mind about how the Cardinals will act in the next offseason and suspect DeWitt does, too…

There is a big difference between preference and certainty.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman could be the CFer, for all we know. He has the speed and the bat is solid enough. Maybe he plays SS if Dejong can’t get it going. You can never have too many good players.

My prediction is that LF will be Conforto or Nimmo (if Conforto resigns with the Mets). I don’t think we are completely past O’Neill having a shot to prove himself til at least the All Star break. I want to see if he can put together at least one hot steak and what it looks like.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the Cardinals have been pointing to 2022 as their big splash year for quite sometime. The Arenado acquisition was big but we still have baggage on this year’s team. The front office knows that a lot of payroll is coming off the books this next winter and 2022 will most assuredly be in front of full capacity stadiums which means more revenue. It is all lining up perfectly assuming the CBA doesn’t get in the way.

There will be a big acquisition or two before 2022. I am almost sure of it.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 133 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years