TCN Pitchers/Players of the Month – 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum TCN Pitchers/Players of the Month – 2019

This topic contains 81 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Playing in the All-Star Game has not seemed to have been a primary consideration in the past. I do agree with UConnCard that clinching could be a factor though, especially given how bad the first half has been elsewhere. There is a very close three-team race currently in the FSL South. So for whatever reason, they may move a little slower with promotions out of Palm Beach. Bryan Dobzanski is another FSL All-Star who seems ready for a shot at Springfield.

P.S. Oddly, in some of the leagues, the All-Star Game is not the midpoint of the season.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Even as good as Fernandez was, I can’t see a reliever taking the pitcher of then month honors. Not to downgrade what Fernandez did, as good relievers are in short supply in the minors as of now.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

How are they going to keep Carlson at AA for much longer. Yeah, it’s only two months but the guy is showing that he is more than an AA player and with Memphis sorry record (Springfield is no better) he deserves a chance to play at a higher level this season. He leads AA nationwide in 3 categories and that is impressive. I have just got to drag my sorry butt down to Hammonds field to see him before he is shipped out.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As of now, there is nowhere for Carlson to play at Memphis with Thomas, O’ Neill, and Garcia the starters. Although Garcia’s poor contact rate is disturbing, he still is a run producer, and plays good defense.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards have seemed content to let Carlson move a level per year. I don’t see that changing a lot now. Even if he’s not at Memphis now, he will be on the cusp of the big leagues by 2020, which is fine for a 21 year old. With the MLB outfield well stocked for now and O’Neill stuck at Memphis, he should be right where he is. Next year with no Ozuna and possibly no Jmart, he could be next man up in case of injury.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Well they could do with him what they always do – make him a catcher…..just kidding of course. I would not be heartbroken to see ONeil traded as, last heard, his strikeout rate hasn’t improved much even against AAA pitching.

BTW: I am one of those saying that Ozuna will extend and will deserve to be extended.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

This is Carlson’s age 20 season. Do they send him up to Memphis this season? Tough call. 2020 will be his age 21 season still young for AAA but he might get a shot at the big club next season with continued success at AAA.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ideally Carlson would stay in Springfield this year, spend 2020 in Memphis, then be ready for St. Louis by 2021. 2021 is Fowler’s last year on his contract.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looking at the numbers, I would have went with Arozarena over Nogowski and certainly over Ravelo (who was really a part time player with the callup). The OPS difference is not much and Arozarena hit a very robust .374, had more at bats, extra base hits, homers, total bases, runs, walks and steals while getting a promotion. I know it’s not necessarily a “best month by a prospect” award, but Randy gets the edge in my book.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Brian, does Nogowski play any other position? I think it would be wise for the minor league managers to insure that their 1B players have an alternate position otherwise they will fall into the Matt Adams, Luke Voit trap only this time it is Goldy who will hold them down.

Real tragedy about Tyler Skaggs. He was one who pitched against the Cards in the last LAA series. RIP Tyler.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would think if Nogowski’s glove is that good, he could be an MLB backup. Too bad he can only play first. Interesting comparison between Nogowski and Ravelo. The difference is position flexibility versus quality of defense. They seem to have nearly the same hitting tool, although Ravelo might hit a few more extra base hits.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am very pleased about our pitcher and hitter of the month. Fagalde and Nogowski are two of my favorites in the system because they just produce despite their lack of pedigree. I like the blue collar types.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s too bad Nogowski is blocked. At his age and pedigree, he isn’t worth a lot in a trade. I still believe Goldschmidt is going to be worth the acquisition cost.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nogowski was tried in the OF and the experiment ended. I thought Ravelo was blocked, too, and he stuck with it. You never know.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25 wrote:

Looking at the numbers, I would have went with Arozarena over Nogowski and certainly over Ravelo (who was really a part time player with the callup). The OPS difference is not much and Arozarena hit a very robust .374, had more at bats, extra base hits, homers, total bases, runs, walks and steals while getting a promotion. I know it’s not necessarily a “best month by a prospect” award, but Randy gets the edge in my book.

Well, since Arozarena had 24 more at-bats than Nogowski, yes, his counting stats should be higher. Even so, Nogowski had more doubles and RBI.

Using rate stats, Arozarena’s batting average was lower, his OBP and OPS were lower, and even his SLG was only .005 better. Though his promotion and level were not considerations here, one reason he was at Springfield was that he had struggled at Memphis previously.

I will stick with the guy who batted .410, but I won’t be surprised when the Cards pick Arozarena.

P.S. On Ravelo, the line is the line. He had more than 60 at-bats, so he was considered. And if a promotion is positive for Arozarena, why not for Ravelo? That was the best promotion of all!

Also, one reason that I like to share the numbers is to have discussions like this. No view is right or wrong. In my book, more prospect discussion is better!

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Nogowski was the right call. but I believe the Cardinals will pick Arozarena. As far as Fagalde goes, maybe he’ll be the next Kyle Hendricks? I hope he proves us stuff mongers wrong.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As was predicted in our discussion here…

Cardinals Name Arozarena, Seijas Top June Player and Pitcher

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fagalde got hosed.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fagalde got hosed.

Agreed. Too much bias against the “non prospects.”

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

0.31 ERA vs. 2.20. Not even in the same area code. But it was predictable. Two straight months for Fagalde being passed over despite superior results.

At least if they called it “Top Prospect of the Month”, it could be defended…

P.S. I’ve been asked at different times why we do player awards when the organization already selects their own. This is why. I also strive to get ours out first.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s not hard to root for players like Fagalde, Nogowski and Ravelo. They have put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into the game. I sure hope Fagalde beats the odds.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Amen to that. I love it when the blue collar guys overcome the odds and make it to the show. Guys like Brebbia and JMart came from nowhere and made it so Fagalde, Nogowski, and Ravelo can do it too.

Meanwhile, our “uber prospect” Alex Reyes can’t seem to do anything right.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years