TCN Pitchers/Players of the Month – 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum TCN Pitchers/Players of the Month – 2019

This topic contains 33 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Was thinking Gorman would be POTM, but Toerners stats are very, very good and is deserving of the honor Gorman has adjusted like we hoped he would, although I’d like to see him walk a little more. Toerner has increased his pop, while not sacrificing his OBP skills.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Coming in, that is what I expected, too, but Toerner came out on top.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What kind of potential does Toerner have? Seems like a very good hitter, good fielder, great on base guy. A Carpenter comp, before focusing on power would be the high end. If he can prove this isn’t a fluke he could move into the top 10-15.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals chose Oviedo over Parsons.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oviedo has been fabulous so far…. but Parsons got robbed. WTF.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, Oviedo is a better prospect than Parsons. I suspect Toerner was just so good they couldn’t give it to Gorman. The Cards historically often pick the best prospects of the month rather than the best players of the month. Years ago, that is why I started doing our own awards. Deserving guys who aren’t as good of prospects who had great months were not being recognized. Another reason is that we can also highlight many other players, not just the winners. This way, readers can compare the results and make their own determinations.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Everybody, take one step forward…

Cardinals Promote Top April Minor League Pitchers

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope that going to Springfield doesn’t have an effect on the way Oviedo has been pitching. I’m not sure how much going to a bottom dwelling team can cause a player to loose some of his mojo. The atmosphere will be less than upbeat, and most likely less than the Palm Beach dugout. IMO, Springfield (1-7 in the last 8) is playing uninspired ball. Last in team batting and pitching >>>(WHIP=1.68 is clearly an indication of poor effectiveness.

I’ve been anticipating Oviedo’s promotion and how he will go about being part of the S-Birds. We’ll just have to see how he fares… every player will be effected differently with adversity. I say adversity because none of our plus-rated prospects are meeting expectations and most are well below their career numbers. Young guys see things differently, but its tough to be optimistic when the team is dragging.

Oviedo needs to take the ball today and show the MWL what he has been building on.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I think much bigger factors could be the smaller ballparks, long bus trips and high familiarity (only eight teams) in the Texas League. Double-A is a big step fairly quickly for Oviedo, especially considering he was kept at Peoria all of last season.

Personally, I believe that if Oviedo is not motivated enough by being put on the fast path to the majors, something is wrong with him.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s too bad for Peoria losing their ace. They just ended a long winning streak yesterday, and need pitching. Palm Beach gets to replace one ace with another. Parsons should handle the challenge. Oviedo should too, but the A to AA jump can come with some early struggles, and it easily the most difficult jump in the minors.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I feel bad for guys like Ravelo and Nogowski who hit well in the minors but have no chance of making it to St. Louis. How long do you figure those guys will want to stay in Memphis or try their luck in a different organization where they might have a chance at the big leauges? They aren’t getting any younger.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It appears there will fewer choices for Pitcher of the Month. Save Rondon, another safe bet is that pitcher will likely come from the Palm Beach squad.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ravelo is in his third year with the Cardinals and he didn’t have to come back. Nogowski went though indy ball on his rebound and again, chose to return. Perhaps respect and having a stable home has value, too.

I am working on Pitcher of the Month now and you pegged it well, C27.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ravelo is in his third year with the Cardinals and he didn’t have to come back. Nogowski went though indy ball on his rebound and again, chose to return. Perhaps respect and having a stable home has value, too.

True, I admire those guys for sticking with the organization.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It takes a network of many to help these players to chase their dreams. Late one afternoon during spring training, I struck up a conversation with a young woman who was patiently waiting on a bench outside the media area. Totally by chance, it was John Nogowski’s girlfriend. She was there to support her man. There are a million stories like that.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fagalde (6’3″-225) has been Mr. Consistent since camp broke. You can expect a very good to great performance when his spot comes up in the rotation. Only one blemish on 4/27 when he didn’t eat his Wheaties. The thing is that career-wise he is 25 at Adv-A. He needs to make his way up to AA this season. His GS for May = 66.2 for his five uninterrupted games.

The S-Cards have used two bullpen games in the last to trips through the rotation. That spot may be filled by Roberts when he returns. He has pitched way beyond the expectations for a 30th rounder (’17).

Certainly close enough behind Fagalde was Rondon who got up to AA on 5/18 and has pitched well while advancing, and Rondon will be just 22 in Dec. That’s something to be cognizant of.

Dobzanski has been nearly flawless in coming out of the PB bullpen, and should get notice here. His 10inn pitched is a small sample but if you combine that with what he has done all season his WHIP is still 0.92 and 220Ks in 17.1 IP. I’d like to see what he can do at Springfield.

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Another factor in who mans the PB rotation may be clinching a playoff berth. I know player development has a higher priority than team wins but PB is the only club in the hunt for a first-half playoff berth and we’re not that far off from the end of the FSL’s first half.

They may keep Fagalde at PB until then.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Florida State League All Star game is June 15. Fagalde earned the right to play in that game so I guess it would be nice to see him stick around long enough to do it. After that he should go to Springfield IMO.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years