StL 2019 Game 90 thread: Fri 7/12 vs. D-backs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 90 thread: Fri 7/12 vs. D-backs

This topic contains 77 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 5 days, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m. RHP Adam Wainwright (5-7, 4.31) vs. LHP Robbie Ray (6-6, 3.96) Fox Sports Midwest // KMOX // WIJR

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Molina, Ravelo, and Webb out.

Carp, Knizer, and Shreve in.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Hmmm, seems curious. And I wonder if the one addition I’d like to see there gets any real action.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

A sweep to start the 2nd half would sure be a good thing. Arizona is no slouch as they are still in the middle of the wild card race.

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~~who is thinking about buying himself a pitching machine

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What is the logic for bringing Shreve back? He hasn’t been very good for Memphis. Hopefully it is only temporary.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Apparently, this is the explanation.

“Since June 1, he’s posted a 1.72 ERA (15.2 IP) with 21 strikeouts and just three walks in 15 games for Memphis.”

Mrperkins
    Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

I don’t have the numbers to back it up but my eyes told me Webb pitched well in games out of hand but tightened up in tough spots. Maybe go with a guy who pitched a lot in NYC. Or maybe front office wants to make voit trade look better.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shreve seems like a AAAA kind of guy.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In my mind, it has more to do with the Voit trade than performance. But I guess we’ll see.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My goodness, so some of us really think the team is concerned more about validating a trade from a year ago than trying to win? Why did they remove Shreve from the 40-man earlier, then?

If they want to keep having two lefties in the pen, who else would it be?

Don’t you think Shreve (or whatever other lefty they had) will lose his roster spot the second Will Smith (or equivalent) is acquired, anyway?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It just seems some players we hold on to like grim death. If we wanted a second lefty, I would rather have tried Cervenka. Better yet add Fernandez. He seems greatly improved this year, let’s see what he can do.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Shreve and Webb are both inter-changeable. Both have epic levels of suck in them. Sometimes they do and don’t

The Molina hope was I guess mislead. They wanted him for after the ASB if you remember. lol this medical staff and team are legendary.

Cervenka would have to be added to the 40 man. Where do we stand? 39? Might not be able to make a deal without an open roster spot if that’s the case.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The All-Star break affords every team the possibility of starting the second half anew. It’s a second chance to right their ship and mend their error filled ways. Of course, some teams such as the Dodgers and Yankees probably did not welcome the stoppage in play, but unfortunately our Redbirds must have literally rolled out the red carpet for it’s arrival.

Scanning over today’s NL slate of games finds two interesting pitching matchups. In Milwaukee this evening, it’s Anderson getting the nod for SF vs Anderson for the Crew. And in the Mile High City, it’s Gray dealing for the Redlegs vs Gray for Colorado.

I see the Esteemed Rat is contemplating the purchase of a pitching machine? The only thing I can say is that any neighboring window that is within 430 feet of Rat’s home plate is in severe danger of getting taken out. How about giving your neighbors a break….or a non-break as it is, and only bat left handed, Rat?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shreve’s stay could be short if we get Will Smith.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

The better question is why did they bring Shreve back if they want to win, especially considering he wasn’t already on the 40 and they claim to be buyers. A short “good spell” in Memphis means nothing with this guy. He can’t get lefties out even when he’s doing okay by his standards. I guess they can always DFA him again when the time comes.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro, you answered your own question.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

so some of us really think the team is concerned more about validating a trade from a year ago than trying to win?

That has become Mo’s MO. Trades or extensions that haven’t been exactly prudent has put the team’s staff in lock down territory. Do I have to go over the list for the umpteenth time. Start with Fowler’s ’18 season and go from there. If that wasn’t for validation it couldn’t be justified at all.

And the beat goes on….. la-da-dot-a.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I get that folks don’t like Shreve. I also don’t think he is a difference-maker, but he may be better than Webb has been. Suggesting he was re-added to the 40-man and called up to validate an old trade makes no rational sense. Let’s be honest and call it what it is – a reason for those who look for ways to criticize the front office to keep doing so.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I look at the Webb for Shreve swap as a “throw it at the wall and see if it sticks” move. Webb has been ok but nothing really more. Shreve may be ok or he may be bad, so it probably won’t cripple the team to find out for a short stretch.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I called it before the season that Gallegos would end up being one of the top 2-3 relievers and get a handful of saves (tried to find where I posted it, but no clue). The Voit trade isn’t that awful when he’s taken into account this year.

Would it have been better to know what they had in Voit vs giving him, Kelly, Weaver, etc up for a solid BP arm and a $130M commitment….

I expect a big 2nd half from Goldy and Carp, if not, let the complaining about missing the playoffs 4 consecutive years get started!

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I don’t know what the lineup is going to be tonight. But if Carpenter and Goldschmidt are in the lineup – and I assume they will be – I hope they don’t strikeout their first time at bat tonight.

r/Esteemed Rat

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I criticize the FO and especially Mozeliak because I firmly believe that is where the blame lies for what the organization looks like now and the near future. I don’t like what I see and have concern that my team will stay in a downward trend if the direction of the culture doesn’t change. The promises routine is dated and not seen as credible any longer.There’s too much money wrapped up in players that don’t give the value in return, and the minor league system can be seen as a mess right now. I fear for this team.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cubs a 1-0 lead in the 7th over Pittsburgh. Bryant a homer in the bottom of the 7th to break the scoreless tie. Cubs now threatening to score more.

r/Esteemed Rat

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years