StL 2019 Game 90 thread: Fri 7/12 vs. D-backs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 90 thread: Fri 7/12 vs. D-backs

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Wonder if we could get something for Carp?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

How many pitches did Holland throw in the strike zone to collect the save against four batters? I think you could count them on one hand. Do the Cards scout opposing pitchers? If so, do the players go over the info? Do the Cards’ players remember that Holland was their teammate last year and why he sucked?

Participant

Free

It’s no longer just one game. It appears to be a way of life for this team.

Almost want to use the s word when it comes to the deadline.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Based on the MLB Gameday it appears Holland only threw 4 pitches in the strike zone. You could argue for a 5th pitch that was called a ball. So he threw 16 pitches and only 4 were in the strike zone, however he gets credited for 9 strikes.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I feel like a quitter saying this when we’re in spitting distance of 1st place, but we need to be sellers. Especially with the large cache of buyers who are bound to overpay for their wants and needs. Let’s face it, there is no way that this cast of Cardinals are going to win a playoff series, let alone a championship this year. They just don’t have “it”. If you look around the diamond, there really is only one position (SS) where one can feel comfortable not having to find a replacement for over the next few years. And that’s pretty darn sad! I love this team, but let’s call a spade a spade….we need an almost complete overhaul.

Participant

Free

858- I was being sarcastic. I get a kick out of baseball cliche people that say that. Every game counts in the record book and this franchise still can’t figure out the same problem that’s been around for years now. Either they aren’t smart or don’t care.

Participant

Free

No I got it!

I’m this close to being on the sell side but I don’t think you’ve got much to sell unless you trade someone young with not much salary attachment. We won’t do that! We’d much rather sign aging veterans and be .500 so we show we tried to be competitive.

The Carpenter and Goldschmidt deals we’re rushed and just plain stupid! God it was so freaking dumb! Someone needs to go for that!

ZTRZTR
    Participant

Free

So far, no one is running away with the division. All we need is one good hot streak to be right there.

Don’t know that winning this division will mean all that much BUT never forget 2006.

You can really say that the Cubs, Brewers, and Cardinals are all underperforming to this point in the season.

Maybe the boys need to stick around after the games, play some cards, pound some beer, and build a little chemistry?

Participant

Free

That 2006 team was hindered by injuries all season and had Pujols, Rolen and Edmonds. This team doesn’t have that kind 0f talent.

Participant

Free

I liked how when Goldschmidt came up in the 8th the booth tried to make it seem like we should be excited about that for some reason.

“A hit up the middle, a run scores, and LOOK who’s coming up next!”

Hey, at least somebody is optimistic, I guess.

Participant

Free

I went to bed last night with such hopes of renewal for my beloved Cardinals, a new, more vigorous life to kick off the second half of a heretofore mediocre season. Hélas, I find this morning it was more of the same. The hitless weaklings were back with the same mushy baseball through which they slogged for 88 games. The only bright spot in this otherwise miserable season is that our competition is almost as bad as we are.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe some scrumptious din-din will provide a bit of relief for CardinalinFrance from our “hitless weaklings”….if only for a while? Last year Fowler drew the majority of my angst . But this year it’s Goldschmidt. He’s been awful as far as I’m concerned! Signs a nice big contract and then in the tank he goes. I’ve seen this so many times that I could scream. I no longer can refer to him as “Goldy”, as that beings forth a measure of endearment towards the player. Even though it takes much longer to type, it’s “Goldschmidt” for me for now on until he gets his act together….if he gets his act together. This team’s future would have looked much rosier if it had done two relatively obvious things….. pursued Yelich over Marcell and have given Voit an honest attempt at claiming the team’s 1st base position.

Participant

Free

Same song. Second verse.

Participant

Free

McLaughlin has a lot of disdain for Martinez – until he hits a home run. Last night he jumped on JMarts case for an error – bobble – that allowed a runner to reach 2B on a single. But then he stretched it out to where that error was critical to the Cards success/failure. He even got motormouth Thompson to agree with him. But when the inning ended with no bad results as a consequence of the error he then added that Martinez got off the hook. McLaughlin does this everytime with Martinez. He loves to try and manage the game from the booth. When he teams with McCarver it gets even more ridiculous. But his favorite player, Carpenter returned to the lineup last night and the praise was evident from the booth. JMHO which I am told we are allowed to express here. I am also told that opinions of my opinion are not to be tolerated….LOL.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Diz, we would not get anything for Carp in a trade. We would have to eat most of the contact for someone to even listen. Why would someone trade for a .200 hitter who is owed more than $40million and well over the age of 30? That extension will go down as one of the worst.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was hoping that the offense would perk up after the all-star break, but at least for one night it seems like more of the same. Hopefully they will find the talent they have here soon but time is running out. They will need to sell if they can’t get some traction ASAP.

Participant

Free

PugsleyAddams…..thanks for my thoughts exactly. Never thought I would watch a Cards team that as a whole just cannot hit for an entire year as they are on their way to doing. This team sadly will not finish .500. They are that bad.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with this take.

Participant

Free

It’s not just that they are losing games featuring a quality start. They are losing games where starting pitcher beats the criteria for a quality start on both IP and runs allowed. And it goes all the way back to those two consecutive 2-1 losses to Pittsburgh several months ago.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Starting pitching was not and is still not the glaring problem with this team. If they are going to do anything, they need to address the problem, not add to the strengths.

Participant

Free

Aré they gonna set the record for the most losses featuring a quality start?

Participant

Free

They way they’re playing they are due to be no hit soon.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep Larry. These guys don’t need to be babied or coddled in the least. Shildt needs to conduct a very long heart-to-heart team meeting, with the theme centered around “why with this much talent can we possibly be this awful as a collective unit?” Shildt should look every player not named “Molina”, “Edman” or “Ponce”, smack dab in the eyes and tell them exactly how he feels….with special attention thrown Goldschmidt’s way. With the trading deadline drawing near, heads need to start rolling very soon. The team chemistry is totally out of whack and the only thing that can be done at this point is to bring in some new blood.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll say it again. Carpenter was taking salsa last year during his hot streak. Goldscmidt’s performance mirrored Carpenter’s performance. Neither of them have any need to take salsa now that they have the contracts that they wanted.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years