StL 2019 Game 22 thread: Mon 4/22 vs. Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 22 thread: Mon 4/22 vs. Brewers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:45 p.m. RHP Jack Flaherty (1-0, 5.00) vs. TBA FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really hope the Cards deal the Brewers some payback for the rude treatment in Milwaukee so far. A Cards sweep with Yelich going 0-14 with 7 Ks would be a nice turn.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

They have had a little payback in their series with the Dodgers.

Milwaukee lost 3 of 4.

Hader gave up a 3 run homer on Friday night to Kike Hernandez.

Hader gave up the go-ahead homerun in the 9th today to Bellinger on a hanging slider.

And Bellinger robbed Yelich of a homerun today.

Need to kick them when they are down. I just hope Bubba Aguilar doesn’t break out against us.

r/Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hader is indeed hittable…..right Rat? I have no worries about this 3 game series with Milwaukee. Our Cards already told us very much about their character in the Dodgers series. They are a team who does not take kindly to getting pummeled. And I believe they are a team who has both the will and the talent to exact revenge. A clean sweep is possible, but I think Milwaukee probably steals one of these three games.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope we kick TBA’s butt. Let’s take game 1, and put them on the ropes for once.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Brewers bullpen is now down to Hader and nothing else due to injuries. They are riding him hard. One of the MLB TV studio guys mentioned last night that if Counsell continues to ride Hader so hard he will end up looking like Andrew Miller. Yikes!

I am really worried about Miller. He isn’t into Cecil territory just yet but he is obviously light years away from his old dominant self. At best he is a decent LOOGY.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here’s some weirdness with pitching stats…the Cards’ OPS+ against by spot in the batting order:

1st-103
    2nd-197 (thanks, Y*)
    3rd-137
    4th-86
    5th-64
    6th-122
    7th-49
    8th-14
    9th-111

Now, which of those numbers stick out? Obviously, Milwaukee’s #2 hitter has killed us. The team has done an OK job against the back half of the lineup, with #8 and #9 standing out.

sOPS+ measures performance compared to the rest of the league. In this metric, 8 hole hitters have a measly 29 sOPS+, which is very good (71% better than league average against 8 hitters) Yet, 9th hitters have an sOPS+ of 192, a whopping 92% better than league average. For some context, the #2 is adjusted to 190 when taken in step with the league as a whole. So in essence, the position primarily staffed by pitchers has hit like Christian Y* and friends against Cardinal pitching, at least relative to how they hit against the rest of the league.

So if it seems like our staff has been putrid tossing against opposing hurlers…it has been. I’m not even sure historically how it would fit in context, but you would think it has to change at some point. Just awful.

14NyquisT
    Participant

With Bader and O’Neill getting ready to start playing an important decision has to be made concerning who will be starting. IMO the three starting now should be in the lineup in the near future while they are all contributing offensively. The thing is that you’d have to put up with any fly ball to the OF that is a hold your breathe situation. Bader will have to play his way back with only spot starts until he starts hitting.

Wong is back to his career AVR. so the idea of batting him second is presently off the options list. I’d still like to see DeJong and Goldschmidt swap places in the order.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’m not 100% ready to dig into the inedible black foul just yet but…. Ozuna is passing out the napkins and salt shaker.

St. Louis Cardinals: Marcell Ozuna is making us all eat crow

Matt Graves— Redbird Rants

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader will and should get his starting spot back when he returns. His speed and defense are too much to keep out of the lineup.

What I’d like to see:

LF Ozuna
    CF Bader
    RF-Martinez

Fowler starts against some of the righties in RF, but generally play the hot hand there.

O’Neill spot starts for Bader against tough RHP, occasionally for Ozuna and pinch hits/late game defensive replacement for the rest of the time.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Moustakas has a broken finger and is day to day. Says it is painful to hold the bat. If he plays, pitch him inside, inside, inside. I would assume tonight Shaw, Arcia, Perez, and Aguilar would be their infield.

P.S. Mr. Schildt please do not pitch to Yelich AT ALL.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I expect Gregerson to be activated off the IL tomorrow.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why is Robinson recalled over the others? Defensive versatility, since he can play the outfield? I’d rather see Sosa, as he is in his last year of options.

On a bigger topic, why do we have so many injuries? Maybe I am biased, but we always seem to have more than our rivals in the division. I really hope Bader comes back soon, as I do not want to see Fowler in center, and Martinez in right playing together. The longer they play those positions, the more exposed our defense is.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Cardinals27, have you seen the Injured List for the Yankees and Red Sox?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

On a bigger topic, why do we have so many injuries? Maybe I am biased, but we always seem to have more than our rivals in the division

I have often wondered the same thing. We currently have 8 players on the IL, which is tied for 6th most in MLB. We have the 2nd most injured players of teams in the NLC, behind only the Pirates.

It seems to be this way every year.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Time to kick the tires on Gio.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brilliant move by Milwaukee. That should just about guarantee 6 shutout innings. 😂

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brilliant move by Milwaukee. That should just about guarantee 6 shutout innings. 😂

No doubt. Two rookies give us one run over six innings and Yelich gets at least one bomb.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Even more reason to kick the tires on Gio Gonzalez with Wacha out. Maybe he comes back in 10 days, but his history says he misses more time.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Too bad Helsley isn’t ready to start, as this could be a matchup of 2 starters from Tahlequah, OK.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m all for Gio. Never in a million years did I think we would be searching for a starter at this stage. Coming into the season, it seemed as if we had about 12 viable starters. Wong plates the resurgent Dexter with a base rap to right and the Birds seize the advantage!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.