StL 2019 Game 22 thread: Mon 4/22 vs. Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 22 thread: Mon 4/22 vs. Brewers

This topic contains 87 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Bob Reed 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well I mkissed this game tonight. out doing stuff. great win, good pitching though still giving up the homer ball. I have to give it to dexter, hes just on it so far this year as far as offense goes. great effort by the whole team

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Well that was fun. Just about everyone in on the act except maybe Marcel.

Lot of good ABs tonight. Not many guys flailing at pitches out of the zone, and some good examples of attacking pitches that can be handled. The Ted Williams approach – swing at the good pitches and let the others go by.

Need Flaherty to be a little better though.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Right now I have JMart and Fowler running 1-2 in the NL MVP vote.

Comment of the night! Lol

A close second…Pugs’ “Dexter for mayor!” exclamation.

A really good game for the Cards. Now let’s keep beating those Brewers down tomorrow!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It sure was a fun night wasn’t it, stlcard25! We need mord of these laughers….and we just may get another in this series as this once cocky Brewer squad is reeling.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Now ahead of the Brewers, in the wild card and a virtual tie with the Bucs for first place in the division. We seem to be trending the right direction.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Give Dexter a little love. He’s now hitting .313. Hopefully he can keep it up. It would be an amazing resurgence.”

After he blamed his terrible 2018 on his teammates, his manager, and everybody but himself? No love from me. I don’t care if he hits .380 and wins the N.L. MVP. I have no respect for the man as a ballplayer. (If he were to loudly & publicly retract his statements about Matheny and his 2018 teammates, I’d certainly amend my low opinion of him. But not before.)

Fowler’s blame-shifting began in October and continued all the way through Spring Training with his nonsensical “I wasn’t given the benefit of the doubt in right field.” He’s the standard-bearer for the modern self-absorbed professional athlete. Even with plenty of time to reflect on his lost 2018 season, months of time, he still pointed fingers everywhere but at the mirror.

I want him to succeed because of the jersey he wears. But I dislike him personally, rather intensely, and I don’t see that ever changing. And for whatever it’s worth, I predicted he would have an OPS 156 points better than last year (on average that’s how much Wong, Piscotty, Voit, Aledmys Diaz, Ozuna, Grichuk, and Pham improved post-Mabry in 2018). That would mean a .732 this year. I’ll stick with that forecast.

On a considerably lighter note, it sure is sweet being in first place — and thumping the Brewers to get there. Yes, they’re tied with the Buccos. But I don’t count Pittsburgh.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Dang Bob I am not his biggest fan either but trying to be a little.positive that they are finally getting something out of him. I want him to succeed as well because of the Jersey he wears that’s why I said it the way I said it.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bobby will be wearing Fowler’s jersey around and have a large poster of Dexter on his bedroom wall, just like we did with Farrah’s poster back in the day, by season’s end. The sky is the limit as to what kind of numbers Dexter will be putting up this year!

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

You can take the Brewers out of their dome home but dem rascals keep bringing their dingers with them. I have always thought that the Brewers could be a WS winning team if they had any decent pitching. It is quickly becoming obvious that pitching is their achilles heel. So while they mash the opponent bloops, blaps and even does some mashing of their own.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

I agree entirely with Bob Reed.

And I will add – the minute he has positive value, trade him.

I am glad he is helping us win games, but I’d rather move forward without someone who is better at running from accountability than he is running from 1st to 3rd on a single.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have not been a fan of Fowler. When we were shopping for a center fielder before he was signed I did a review of possible candidates. Fowler and Ozuna who was playing center field for the Marlins at the time were both on my do not sign list.

But, I choose to enjoy his recent success and give him credit for fighting his way back. I don’t, however see him as the best choice for even right field in the future. I believe we have better options but they need time to develop.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

I must admit that I have been surprised at Fowler’s resurgence. He has been getting some good at bats, which I hadn’t seen since he came. The bottom of the order seems more consistent than the top.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Bobby will be wearing Fowler’s jersey around and have a large poster of Dexter on his bedroom wall, just like we did with Farrah’s poster back in the day, by season’s end.”

Well, don’t bet the rent on that one, Pugs. And I wasn’t a Farrah guy either, red one-piece poster or not. Among the Angels it was either Jaclyn or Cheryl for me.

Sorry if I was too acidic in my comment, Texas. I’ve read so much malarkey lately about what a “great guy” Fowler is, that I just got sick of it. Because there’s nothing great at all about someone who takes zero responsibility for their own actions. My remarks reflected that, as much as my modest expectations for his performance going forward.

As my dear mother told me growing up, “If you can’t say something nice, just go on the internet and say something awful.”

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years