StL 2019 Game 2 thread: Fri. 3/29 at Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 2 thread: Fri. 3/29 at Brewers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:10 p.m. RHP Jack Flaherty (8-9, 3.34 in 2018) vs. RHP Freddy Peralta (6-4, 4.25 in 2018) FS Midwest // MLB Network // KMOX

1982 willie
    Participant

I expect Flaherty to pitch well. lets get in to their pen early being hader went two tonight

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think “Flair” will come up big tomorrow too, Willie. Last year these guys were better than our boys…..this year they are not. Cards with a resounding 8-3 victory in this evening affair. Just a programming reminder….. we’ll be in the PBP saddle at 7:05pm(CST) for this year’s maiden victory. Be there….or be []

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully this will be a better game for both the offense and pitching…gotta get on a winning roll here.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We need to get a split in this series. All of these division games are so important since the NLC is going to be such a dog fight.

And for the record, I do not like Goldy batting second. It makes no sense to me.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t say it makes no sense. It’s probably a more idealized lineup than hitting your best hitter third where he’s often up with no one on and two outs.

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2011/4/14/2110082/why-dont-sabermetric-gms-have-sabermetric-managers-and-shouldnt-they

NJ315
    Participant

I agree Goldy should bat third. I don’t like DeJong in that spot.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What major league baseball has become was never more on display than opening day yesterday.

Homeruns
    Strikeouts
    Relief Pitchers

r/Rat

1982 willie
    Participant

yea count me in the camp that doesn’t like goldy batting second. putting him at the third spot gives him more of a chance to hit with somebody on in the first inning plus he still comes up in the first inning either way. I as always don’t like bader batting eighth. why would you put the one guy on your team who can regularly have a chance to steal a base in a spot where if he gets on, most of the time you are gonna have the batter who is the pitcher most of the time, sacrifice. baders speed, while still useful, is a lot less useful. I know there was an article that said he stoled about the same amount regardless of spot last year but that’s more because he doesn’t try to steal enough in my opinion. it just makes sense if hes on in front of a pitcher they are gonna sacrifice or sometimes hit and run. also like yesterday, if the pitcher fails to get the bunt down, are you gonna steal with say two outs and carpenter, a home run threat up, more than likely not. so again baders speed is nullified to a certain extent. it just tells you how far the game has fallen for the cardinals since the teams of whitey Herzog.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Piling on here, as I mentioned in the opening day thread that hitting Goldy second is not how I would construct our lineup. It might be different if you had a legitimate 3-hitter, but DeJong is not that. He is really a 6 hitter at this stage in his young career, but we probably need him at 5.

And you have two guys with great speed that can be utilized to put pressure on the opposition with the run producers following. By putting them at the end of the lineup, they do not get as much chance to make an impact on the bases.

Was hoping Shildt would “get it” more than Matheny, but in this regard I am not so sure.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Whether Shildt “gets” what some of us may want or not could just be coincidence. What I wonder is what he is being fed by the Cardinals analytics team through the new game coach. Is he using some, all of none of it?

One thing for sure is that any MLB manager today is not lacking for people who think they know what he should be doing differently. It would be easy if they were all saying the same thing, but of course, that will never be the case.

As Al Davis used to say, “Just win, baby!” and you get second-guessed a whole lot less.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah, I always say that whatever we think needs to be taken with a large dose of salt. We are not in that clubhouse everyday, not dealing with the personalities, and non-statistical factors that impact decisions and games. 

But Shildt’s batting order reminds me of something Matheny would do. One thing about Mike II though, he is much better at explaining his reasoning. Matheny tended to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder when it came to questioning his methods.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Did Albert Pujols ever bat 2nd?

Your best hitter ALWAYS hits 3rd.

r/Rat

NJ315
    Participant

Same lineup today as yesterday’s

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1982 willie
    Participant

well i would rather have Martinez in there for fowler but oh well. i expected the same today. to do it differently the second game would just be admitting the opening day lineup wasn’t right. hopefully the top hits a little better and the bottom keeps it up.

1982 willie
    Participant

sad thing is for me they got pacers basketball on my hd fox channel so i got to watch it on a standard def channel. wouldn’t be so bad if i had a regular full hd tv but i have a 4k tv. it really makes it look bad but i am getting to watch it. first world problems i guess.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cards are making Peralta pitch a bit early on.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldy bomb!! 2-0, Cards!

1982 willie
    Participant

you could definitely see that homerun coming. ozuna still cant keep his front foot in there.

1982 willie
    Participant

big hit yadi

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yadi cracks a double in the gap to drive in Ozuna!! 3-0!

1982 willie
    Participant

this is a guy fowler should own if hes right.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One thing of note for the Brewers…their defense wasn’t anything special last year and they’ve got guys out of position again this year (Moose). Sounds like Knebel is out for the year. It’s the little things that make a huge difference, as we have seen with the Cards the last few years.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The bullpen is already warming up for Milwaukee.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.