StL 2019 Game 155 thread: Sat 9/21 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 155 thread: Sat 9/21 at Cubs

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 241 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Man, that is the biggest win in recent memory. Those two shots in the 9th were hammered!

Kimbrel looks different to me – looks like he’s lost weight. Makes me wonder if he was a ‘roid guy who is now clean. Not likely since the testing is rigorous for that sort of thing, but he just looks smaller somewhow.

I felt coming in today we would score a lot. Seems like this club goes into a funk for a few games and cannot score runs, then they explode for double-digits. Not quite double digits today, and the pitching was not good but we score just enough.

That probably finishes off the Cubs. Five losses in a row, magic number is two, and Milwaukee looks to be the team to watch.

1982 willie
    Participant

nah ratsbuddy, I never watch cubs cardinals games at all just cause I hate cubs that much. so I think I won it by watching this weekend

1982 willie
    Participant

what I couldn’t believe was that homerun by yadi. it was way out of the zone. man I love that guy.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who was it that once said “Gant Can’t?” So far this year, Gant “Has” 11 times and only “Hasn’t” once. As things stand now, the cubbies have a greater chance of being 10+ games behind the Cards at season’s end than they do of claiming the divisional title. Who, besides maybe Euro Dandy or Wooster, would have thought that?

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

And we Cardinal fans thank you for the three wins Rat.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

When Yadi came up, I said “Wouldn’t it be something if Yadi tied it here”. And then Bam! At first when Yadi hit it Danny Mac did not sound real excited, and the pitch was up, so I figured he got under it a bit and it would be a fly out to deep center.

Heard the first part of the game in the car on SiruisXM with the Cub crew, and Pat Hughes commented that it was the best hitting day they had there for the last four days or so. And he said especially to the middle of the field. So a good day to take advantage of a pitch up in the zone.

Quick comment on Bader. He seems to have improved in not swinging at balls outside the zone, but still lets too many center-cut pitches go. In that 9th inning, when you have 2 strikes how can you let anything go that is right there? If the guy is ever to be more than a .210 hitter you need to be swinging at those “.350” pitches.

1982 willie
    Participant

I love it. they were showing the blue loss flag at Wrigley field. Al said I love that flag, just priceless. Al hates the cubs as much as I do I think.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

1982Willie,

Al remembers the Cubs and 1974. If you don’t know what happened there just ask BikeMike, I am sure he remembers.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Guys, I am out of town today and tomorrow so not close to a computer so hard to post.

All I can say is that I am estatic! This weekend has gone way beyond any expectations I could have imagined. It is just unbelievable!

Go Cards!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1982 willie
    Participant

well bicyclemike, when you get a fairly good offspeed pitch with two strikes offa guy who can hit high 90s, it can be hard to pull the trigger. you cant be looking for that pitch there, cause the fastball would cause the same thing. bader isn’t the only one that has done that, people just center on him cause he has struggled a lot at times. goldy has doe the same thing a bunch. bader is swinging actually pretty good and for the most part laying off bad pitches, his main problem is he is fouling off those hittable pitches putting him behind.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pirates had three on base in the first, but scored just one. Brewers coming to bat.

1982 willie
    Participant

im not sure the pirates could beat a minor league team right now. they are just ready for the suffering to be over. they have had one of the worst second halves of a team that was fairly competitive before that I can remember.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah, that was something. Bill Madlock toyed with Al’s “Mad Hungarian” routine, and it lead to a big brawl with Ted Simmons clocking Madlock and all sorts of craziness.

You can look it up online and I think there are even videos of the fight out there.

Cubs also hurt the Cardinals late that year, as they took two late series from us and we ended up finishing a game back in the division race.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Pirates have any pride as professional players and has human beings they would try to elevate their game over that disgraceful performance at Wrigley last weekend. That was embarrassing.

Maybe they can beat the Cubs a time or two this next week to make sure the Cubbies don’t make the playoffs.

I wonder where Maddon will manage next year. San Francisco? Philadelphia?

Who will the Cubs get? Joe Girardi? David Ross?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For those marveling at our offensive outburst today, I think the fact the wind was blowing out a ton had something to do with it.

1982 willie
    Participant

if maddon goes, I figure the giants. they still have a decent squad that with some right moves, could be back in the playoff hunt.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Willie1982 and BikeMike,

I am talking about how the Pirates beat the Cubs three straight that helped cost us the division. And Steve Swisher of the Cubs had a passed ball that allowed a game to continue that the Pirates eventually won. We finished effectively one game behind Pittsburgh that year. If the Cubs and Swisher could have done anything we might have won in 1974.

Here’s the Retrosheet boxscore from that game in question in 1974. Check out the Pirates 9th.

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1974/B10020PIT1974.htm

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

A couple of years ago the Supreme Court legalized sports betting. Immediately I thought – well here goes baseball with umps tempted to be on the take but I was thinking HPUs because balls and strikes are the easiest way to manipulate a game. The base guys get reviewed for bad calls. But now I see a way for the base umps to affect a game for a bit of cash – call a balk from 2B. I am not saying that is what happened but balks should be reviewable especially ones like was called today. Even Tim McCarver was right in saying that they should be something that affects a runner or a batter. Anyway, the Cards overcame it.

I thought this was a marathon for a while. I counted something like 4 1/2 hours or longer. MLB will be finding ways to shorten it so those 3 fans that left won’t be disturbed.

CMart 4 days in a row. He made it so no further comment.

Too bad we have to tolerate that lousy Edman on this team. Just a lousy utilityman some have been known to say.

Rizzo must be pretty close to 100 percent as he stayed in for all 9 and even managed to ‘run’ the bases.

GO CARDS – Mind as well do that sweep thing.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<gscottar wrote: I wonder where Maddon will manage next year. San Francisco? Philadelphia?>

Well San Diego just opened for manager and General Manager. So Theo and Joe can ride the same plane out there to apply.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

SWEEP the CUBS!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tell you what…..Shildt has one whale of a lot of composure for having not gone out onto the field and totally lambasting William Anthony Welke for that horrendous call. I was amazed when Shildt didn’t initially contest the call and then when Kemp immediately poked his homer, I thought for sure that Shildt was going to come charging out of the dugout in Welke’s direction. Could you imagine Leo the Lip or Billy Martin in this kind of a situation? Anyway, Welke dodged a bullet because if the Cards had lost that game, he would have rightfully been hated by millions of Cardinal fans for ever and ever. These umps are supposed to be professionals. And as such, it was 100% inexcusable to make the call that he did under those circumstances. This was not merely a bad call….it goes way beyond that. The man should be terminated. And did you catch that goofball cub fan in the stands doing that funky dance after Kemp’s homer? He looked just like Welke….could have been his twin. I would love to see what kind of dance he’s doing tonight.

Tscurlo
    Participant

Free

Well… the Sunday Blue uniforms made the Cub’s fans sing the Blues today.

Hope we can get a sweep out of this. I’m just really amazed that we’ve won
    the first three. So happy that we have…. just wasn’t expecting it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think San Diego is trying to pull a coup and get Bochy to return. He hasn’t denied it yet.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the Cubs have to be so shellshocked right now we have a good chance of getting the sweep tomorrow.

We might as well dance on the grave while we can. They have done enough of it at our expense. I seem to remember a certain team in blue from Chicago celebrating and taking pics on the Busch Stadium turf a year or two ago. Karma is a ______.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 241 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years