StL 2019 Game 155 thread: Sat 9/21 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 155 thread: Sat 9/21 at Cubs

This topic contains 240 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Carter Le Grand Carter Le Grand 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 241 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1:20 p.m. RHP Dakota Hudson (16-7, 3.35) vs. LHP Cole Hamels (7-7, 3.92) FOX Sports Midwest // MLB Network (out of market) // KMOX

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hamels has been scratched due to left shoulder fatigue and Alec Mills will make the start instead. Mills, 27, will make his third start of the season after spending most of the year at Triple-A Iowa. He gave up five runs in 10 innings in his first two starts.

Second update

Mills will start Friday and Jose Quintana will be given an additional day of rest and will pitch on Saturday instead.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

This is terrible news for the Cards. 😉

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Heck yeah, we crushed that. I did notice Pugs and Rats missing, suspiciously.

Well, I’m not sure where Pugs was during the game. I suspect since it was Friday he was eating Catfish Fiddlers somewhere. I watched part of the game and then had to head to Vincennes to meet a couple of buddies and eat at Ponderosa. Then we went to the Jasper @ Vincennes football game. The Wildcats of Jasper handed it to the Alices of Vincennes 35-19.

Boy oh boy oh boy, what would you give for another win in this one and put the Cubs six back with only seven to play?

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Some of us still have to work, Rat. But you were 100% correct about the catfish fiddlers, as I did snag 3 of them at lunch today. Here in the great State of Wisconsin, everyone eats fish on Fridays. Speaking of fish, I have fond summer memories of getting up every morning between ages 8-12 and grabbing my fishing pole and a loaf of bread to head on down to the Rock River ( Janesville) to catch tons of carp with bread dough. None of us ate them, but they sure were fun to catch.

No wonder Jasper finally won a game….vs the “The Alices”?….who other than Mel’s Diner would name their team “The Alice’s”??

Go Birds!

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I once visited your fair state many, many years ago Pugs when a friend invited me to join him on an expedition to entertain the northern pike and walleye on an obscure river in the far northern reaches of the land. I still have fond memories of cool weather, tall pines and slippery fish. I also learned a surprising thing while I was there: Contrary to popular belief, most ordinary Wisconsinites do not leave home each morning with large, triangular-shaped slices of cheese on their heads.
    Rah Cardinals!

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

It would be great to have the central wrapped up before the last Sunday to save JF for game 1 in ATL. I believe he would be able to start in 1 and 5 or 2 and 5 unless he goes 1 and short rest for game 4.

Assuming they hold off the Brewers, they would play Thurs, Fri, Sun, Mon and game 5 would be Wed. Doesn’t seem like there is as much time off between games, a lot has changed in the 3 years since I actually paid full attention!

With the way Waino has been pitching, could he potentially be the #2 starter in the playoffs with Hudson #3 and Mikolas at 4? Waino is a bulldog when he’s healthy and even more so when it’s a big game. I keep thinking of Waino as a potential 2011 C Carp!

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Adding on to my previous post as to who would pitch game 2 in ATL:

– Hudson’s road ERA is 1.04 higher than at home, most numbers across the board aren’t as good, Ks are higher on the road however
    – Wainwright, 3.95 worse, all other stats support that he’s not as good, but not 4 runs per 9 worse
    – Mikolas: 2.79 worse, all other stats support it

After a little research, my rotation choice would be JF in game one or two if they need him on the last day with Hudson going in the other game at ATL then Waino in 3 and Mikolas in 4.

They need to wrap it up first though!

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Looking at the box for Friday’s game is really disheartening. A total of 4 hits and 3 of them were by Molina with 1 by Edman. Let me say it again – our offense STINKS. Our pitching is what wins against teams like the Cubs because they are feeling the heat at home and are swinging at about everything.

Umpiring has once again been poor but the same to both teams. They can take back all the other ‘improvements’ to the game as far as I am concerned but bring forth an electronic strike zone. We can put a man on the moon and develop a GPS system that puts you spot on but we can’t tell where a baseball passes a certain point?

Initially I was saying to reorganize the lineup but that would be like saying to reorganize the deck chairs on the Titanic. Ain’t nobody hitting and it seems as if rookie pitchers scare the bejesus out of Card hitters.

So if it is Quintana today, we may be able to get some hits cause he is not a rookie and has been getting splatted lately.

Shildt – please wave a white flag from the dugout as notice to the TV viewer if you intend to use Carlos today. I will turn off the TV for my medical health and read the results later.

GO CARDS

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Quintana has been pretty bad lately and we tend to hit lefties better. I’d not mind seeing Bader have a day off for Arozarena or O’Neill. None of the OF gang has had a good offensive series, so it can’t hurt. I would love to have the Cards knock Quintana out early and eat up the Cub bullpen. A win here effectively ends the Cubs chances to win the Central. Hopefully Dakota is on his game.

Oh, and the Pirates showing some life would be nice as well.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Indeed stlcard25, a Cards win today doesn’t mathematically end Chicago’s Central Divisional aspirations , but with having to leapfrog Milwaukee too in this final week, they are for all practical purposes finished. But if the cubbies can turn the tide and win these next 2 games, things look a bit rosier. How could they not with a trip to Pittsburgh coming up this week and then getting another crack at the Birds next weekend. I’ve never felt compassion towards the cubbies, but Hudson & Co. need to put these guys out of their misery today and get them to thinking of a more realistic goal…… a possible wild card berth.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

The Pirates are playing without Marte and Bell which leaves them kinda punchless.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Another day game today, nice. Great close win yesterday. Hudsons been getting better and better and the other guys been getting worse. Looks like we have a good chance today but? Ain’t no secret we need some more hits and runs. Go Cardinals!

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

You better bank on Milwaukee winning the next two against Pittsburgh and then the Cubs sweeping Pittsburgh. I really believe we need to win one of the next two at Chicago. I don’t want to go into next weekend with the Cubs STILL having a chance.

On another good note, I guess. Arizona has shut down Ketel Marte for the year so we wont have to contend with him next week. And they are just about eliminated in the wild card race.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Wong with “moderate” strain. I am assuming that corresponds with grade 2 strain. Grade 2 strain is 4-8 weeks recovery time.

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Wong with “moderate” strain. I am assuming that corresponds with grade 2 strain. Grade 2 strain is 4-8 weeks recovery time.

That’s bad. But those are the breaks. Looks like Kolton has hit the age where merely running can cause injury. Happens to ’em all eventually.

Guess Carp has his 3B job back imoji

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

A Cub loss today will be the end of their division hopes

imogi

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman has been our best…..rips a 1 out triple. NEED to get him in…..and a soft grounder to 3rd does the trick….1-0 Birds.

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Man O man, EDMAN!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kind of surprising seeing so many unoccupied seats. Maybe the Wrigley beer vendors are on strike and the patrons have to hunt down their own libations?

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

PUGS: Edman has been our best…..rips a 1 out triple. NEED to get him in…..and a soft grounder to 3rd does the trick….1-0 Birds

Good thing he was off with the crack of the bat or he’d been meat!

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Kind of surprising seeing so many unoccupied seats

Nobody rushes to a funeral.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s hope we do in fact bury these guys here today. Starting out good as Hudson K’s Rizzo to hopefully set the tone.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Castellanos doubles, but Bader made it very interesting.

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

looking bad…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 241 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years