StL 2019 Game 150 thread: Mon 9/16 vs. Nats

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 150 thread: Mon 9/16 vs. Nats

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:45 p.m. RHP Dakota Hudson (15-7, 3.38) vs. RHP Stephen Strasburg (17-6, 3.49) FOX Sports Midwest // MLB Network (out of market) // KMOX // WIJR

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Need at least two of three against these Nationals.

As I stated in the other thread, after the horrific loss to the Brewers it was found out that Rizzo had to be helped off the field with what appears to be an ankle issue. Not sure how severe, whether he’s day to day or out for awhile.

r/Esteemed Rat

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We need to win our games. I think the Cubs will have their hands full facing the Reds’ starters. The injury to Rizzo looked nasty. There was a loy of turn on that ankle, I don’t wish things like that on my worst enemy.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Esteemed Rat does.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

A few days ago I posted a summary of the remaining schedule and the dangers it presented to the Cards. Well, sad to say, that is coming true and if the offense doesn’t wake up we will be out of the playoffs again which does not bode well.

Reading the Cubs game post is a laugher. The writer made it sound like a soldier (Rizzo) was killed on the battlefield and the team rallied around their leader to deliver a crushing blow to the enemy (Pirates). Actually the Pirates are about the worst team in baseball at this time and the three game stomping they received was not unexpected. Somebody said that they get to repeat that series in Pittsburgh before the end of the season……………moan.

Two things we cannot overcome – failure of the bullpen and failure of the offense at the same time. GO CARDS

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs have a very deep bench of position players. They can lose Baez, Rizzo, Russell, and they just plug in others and keep mashing the ball. The key to beating them is to keep the game close and get to their bullpen. Their bullpen is the weak link.

This weekend was a disaster for us and frankly this week doesn’t look any better. We could easily go into Wrigley tied or behind. We are going to find out what this Cardinal team is made of real fast.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

The problem has been the same all year. We need an offense. We don’t have one, except in small spurts. This is crunch time. We either string together some of these spurts in the coming days or it’s bye bye division. We can’t sit around and hope the cubs lose, with or without Rizzo.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<Cardinal in France wrote:

The problem has been the same all year. We need an offense. We don’t have one, except in small spurts. >

Amen to that. At times (too many times) our offense is offensive especially when facing no name pitchers. we have beaten Sherzer more than once in the pat. Perhaps it will help to fact ‘name’ pitchers and get our offense rolling. I still feel that some tinkering with the batting order may be in the cards. Despite his dinger yesterday, DeJong is very cold with the bat. The first four hitters yesterday registered an 0-13 with the bat. The player who (according to some) is not an everyday player on a championship team is Tommy Edman. He contributes offensively and defensively and has the speed to intimidate opposing batteries but some say he is lousy in the OF (with no facts to back that up) and is just not an everyday player. Keep on keeping on Tommy. Actions will shut down your detractors.

Anybody else worried about even making the playoffs? The schedulers knew how to take us down this season.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This one is very important. Of course, playing a good pitcher the Cards will probably score 7 runs. Hopefully Dakota keeps the team right in the game and they can get a game closer to clinching. I really wish those two brain fart losses on Dejong throws hadn’t cost the team two games in the last couple of weeks. Four games would feel a lot better than two games.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Offensive stats in the last month:

Wong .344/.396/.522 147 wRC+
    Goldy .275/.383/.520 135 wRC+
    Edman .318/.353/.545 135 wRC+
    Yadi .295/.380/.484 129 wRC+
    Carp .273/.393/.455 128 wRC+
    Dex .263/.387/.455 126 wRC+
    Bader .266/.372/.481 125 wRC+
    Ozuna .241/.317/.435 97 wRC+
    Dejong .210/.299/.450 93 wRC+

All the regulars have walk rates above 10% besides Wong and Edman, who have the two highest slugging percentages. The players may be different but this is about how we hoped the offense to work. Now it just needs to keep working for the next month and half.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Anybody else worried about even making the playoffs? The schedulers knew how to take us down this season.

Darn right I am worried. Losing the division to the Cubs is looking more likely by the day and if the Nats and Brewers keep it going we could be out in the cold altogether.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Just announced Rizzo is in a walking boot for the next 5-7 days but will not require surgery. Obviously he will miss the Cards series this weekend. Not sure about the prognosis for the rest of the season. Blow for the Cubs but they certainly do seem resilient at Wrigley.

If the Cards cant win at least one this weekend in Chicago they may as well pack it in anyway.

r/Esteemed Rat

Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

banner

Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

I will be monitoring Cubs/Reds

We need some power tonight from Ozuna.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice to get a couple of runs early. Strasburg had to throw a lot of pitches and was a bit lucky the Cards didn’t score more. Hopefully they can add to the tally regularly and get to the Nats’ bullpen, which is their bugaboo as usual.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs are already up 3-0 on the Reds.

Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Cubs over Reds 3-0 in the 2nd

Ozuna answered my power demand about a minute after I expressed it! More more, Marcel.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cards have really made Strasburg work in the 3rd. He’s now over 70 pitches. After Ozuna strikes out after the two walks to start the inning, Dejong pops up and we need a clutch hit. Gotta move those runners over.

Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

25: ” After Ozuna strikes out after the two walks to start the inning, Dejong pops up and we need a clutch hit. Gotta move those runners over”

Yup…Hudson better than Strausberg and we need some clutch! I don’t remember the last Card to double.

Siggy1987
    Participant

Free

Another night with the TV on mute. Not at all interested in listening to “baseball according to Jim Edmonds.”

Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Hamel walks in a run so Reds threaten 3-1 Cubs

Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Oops Reds go down

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Hope we’re not fixated on the long ball after last night
    Had 2 walks to lead off the 3rd and end up with nada. Jeez…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hudson was cruising through 2 outs in the 4th and now he can’t seem to hit the plate. He needs to settle down.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.