StL 2019 Game 139 thread: Wed 9/4 vs. Giants

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 139 thread: Wed 9/4 vs. Giants

This topic contains 92 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:45 p.m. RHP Michael Wacha (6-6, 5.07) vs. LHP Madison Bumgarner (9-8, 3.62) FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Martinez has been sending a message to those who didn’t trust him because he was giving up too many base runners.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

So I understand they are in a pinch with the 4 games in 2 days, but they still have a rested Genesis Cabrera who hasn’t pitched since getting recalled. With Wacha’s shoulder issues I just don’t like move at all. It really feels they are playing with fire here.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would hope that Wacha will have a very short leash in that start. They should have Helsley and Cabrera ready to roll at that point so no excuses if Wacha gets in trouble early.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Madbum has been good lately and with Wacha having to pitch on short rest, it might be an uphill battle for the Birds. Bumgarner has been both much worse on the road (OPS allowed of .808 vs .597) and against RHB (.739 vs .551) The lineup could really be stacked with righties if Shildt wanted to.

RF Arozarena/Fowler
    3B Edman
    1B Goldy
    LF Ozuna
    SS Dejong
    C Yadi
    2B Muñoz
    CF Bader/O’Neill

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Wong will start again, hitting 2nd, with Edman hitting 7th.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Wacha was really good last time out, definitely don’t want him to get hurt. Helsley has been looking pretty good too. Interesting stat on mad bum Stlcard. May be an opportunity to capitalize on that.Go Cardinals!

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Bleacher Report came up with this topic, Beneath is the Cardinals dilemma.

Each MLB Team’s Biggest Dilemma of the 2019-20 Offseason

St. Louis Cardinals: Should They Re-Sign or Replace Marcell Ozuna?

It’s been a struggle for the St. Louis Cardinals to generate offense in 2019, but they’ve at least been able to count on Marcell Ozuna. He’s bounced back from a rough 2018 with an .846 OPS and 25 homers.

Unfortunately for the Cardinals, Ozuna is due for free agency. And given how little talent will be available this winter, the market for him could lead to a bidding war that exceeds his practical value.

The Cards are bound to be involved in some capacity, but there might come a point when they’re comfortable falling back on their many in-house options. Between Tyler O’Neill, Randy Arozarena and Dylan Carlson, they have plenty of young outfielders waiting for their shot.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think we will lose two to free agency this year. Ozuna because he will not accept a qualifying offer and Wacha because he will not get one.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I would make Ozuna a reasonable offer and if he walks, he walks. I certainly would not get into a bidding contest. He’s a good baseball player, but not an outstanding one.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

If Ozuna gets hot here the last three weeks plus and ends up hitting around .280 with 30-35 dingers and 90+ rbi’s I might make him a pretty solid offer. If he doesn’t take it, bye bye.

If he doesn’t get hot the last three weeks plus then make him a good offer and if he doesn’t take it, bye bye.

These last three weeks plus will probably determine what happens with him in the off-season.

r/Esteemed Rat

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I say take our draft pick for Ozuna and move on to O’Neill/Arozarena/Thomas starting 2020, and Carlson midseason in the mix.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In the case of Ozuna, I hope he gets so red hot in September and October that he gets a gigantic deal somewhere else. 🙂

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s win tonight and take the series. Again, I hope they have a short leash on Wacha. Helsley and Fernandez should bridge middle innings, if needed. Get Madbum early. If they can get a good lead, pitch Cabrera, as he has not pitched since his gem for Memphis.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Ozuna LF
    Bader CF
    Carlson RF
    Fowler RF/Bench 2 more years
    Arozarena OF
    I like this as the OF the next 2 years. Two switch hitters in Fowler and Carlson is nice to have the option of 2 LH bats in the line-up.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is my sincere hope that these last two victories have not lulled our boys into a state of forgetfulness. IF they still have a clear vision in mind of how rudely the Giants treated us during our last trip to their fair city, then they will return the favor and complete this much needed sweep. I’m calling this one 8-3 Birds with Mr. Thomas Hyunsu Edman ralphing a long one into the upper crevices of Big Mac Land.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I have always thought the strike zone was based on the batters stance in the box just before the ball is delivered but whomever determines the top and bottom of that white outlined strike box must march to a different drummer. Yelich stands straight up before the pitch yet the top line of the box was BELOW his belt. With many others it is at the belt line. On some the knee line is high or low. Question is: Who determines where that white strike box is drawn – Fox Sports Midwest producer or some other person? Sometimes the lines match AFTER the pitch is thrown and the batter scrunches down. I never realized it but Bader is one who squats when the pitch is thrown. Anyway that is my noncontribution for the day. I don’t eat chef prepared meals or exotic food (i.e.Subway today) so I can’t contribute in that area.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I just finished a distinctly unexotic dinner of filet of cod with mashed potatoes and corn out of a can. It would make my French neighbors shudder if any of them lived within a half mile, which they don’t.

Anybody still remember announcers saying vigorously: “Fastball, strike at the letters.”?

I must be showing my age.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“We don’t need no stinkin backups!”

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In Goold’s chat, he suggests they are using Wacha once through the lineup as an “opener” and then going to the bullpen. Should be an interesting evening. Hopefully the Cards can get 3-4 runs off Madbum.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Looks like they’re going for it against Madbum tonight. MM3 the zone is based off the batters stance.Used to work with a real umpire and we talked once a whole hour about the strike zone. Hes workin his way up part time. Up and down its nipples to the knees in a stance( bent over). A really tall guy is not gonna get a bigger zone by standing straight up. Inside to out its the gap to the plate to the edge of the batters box is strike zone. Some umps will give up to a half a ball width into the box as strike zone. Some umps will call anything touching batters box a ball. That box on tv frequently is only approximate. I really like the gameday pitch tracker, you can track the pitches on your phone while you watch the action on your tv

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m going to say 6-3 Cardinals with Yadi hitting a 3 run dinger. I like the idea of an opener given Wacha short rest.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am in the club who believes we should attempt to re-sign Ozuna. If he wants more than 5 years, let him walk. Definitely make a QO. We shouldn’t get in a bidding war and only try to sign him to a reasonable contract. Although, it would require a 1 or 2 year spike in payroll. I also want Cole to complete a top notch rotation. (Cole-Flaherty-Hudson-Mikolas-Waino??)

Carter
    Carter
    Participant

Free

I predict the sign in LF will read IG AC land when the smoke clears.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hey Carter. Without doubt you have the best avatar on this board. However, just so you know, she somehow obstructs some of the words that you post…..like I said, you have a simply marvelous avatar! Please never change it.

Not your normal 5 star din-din, CardinalinFrance, but certainly nothing to sneeze at. I’m having a tuna fish (onion and celery included) sandwich, wild shrimp cocktail, Cheetos and get this……for dessert a $19 piece of chocolate cake that the wifey brought me home from the restaurant she had lunch at this afternoon…..which is ridiculous.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years