StL 2019 Game 121 thread: Fri 8/16 at Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 121 thread: Fri 8/16 at Reds

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:10 p.m. RHP Adam Wainwright (8-8, 4.35) vs. RHP Luis Castillo (11-4, 2.63) FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX

Participant

Free

Has anyone seen the Vegas line for the over/under percentage on Harper getting thrown at next time he faces the Cubs? I’ve watched his walk off grand slam multiple times, and it makes me smile just as much every time!

Going into Thursday September 19th (start of 4 game series at Wrigley), the Cards need to have a 2 game lead in the division to have a chance. They can surely pull one win out of that series meaning they would be tied going into the last 6 games. The Cards then go to AZ for 3 and the Cubs go to Pittsburg for 3, then the final 3 vs the Cubbies at Busch. I’m not predicting it will, but that could be a series for the ages!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Each MLB Team’s Worst Bang-for-Your-Buck Star in 2019

JACOB SHAFER
    AUGUST 16, 2019

As we head into the dog days of summer and toward the MLB stretch run, it’s as good a time as any to examine every team’s worst bang-for-your-buck star.

This isn’t an exact science. But we’ll consider each player’s 2019 salary (per Spotrac) versus the WAR he provides (by FanGraphs’ calculation) and add a dollop of subjectivity.

In some cases, we’ll stretch the definition of “star.” In other cases, we’ll call out admittedly valuable players who nonetheless are vastly overpaid.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2849514-each-mlb-teams-worst-bang-for-your-buck-star-in-2019#slide0

Yeah, I thought so too. But it isn’t Fowler or Carpenter that made the list for the Cardinals… rather its “short pants” Molina.

ps… there’s a bunch of characters on this list. The Cards aren’t the only team that has given out rotten contracts and extensions.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Avatar14NyquisT.
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Going into this series I was hoping for a split. Now I am just hoping we win one of the remaining four games so we don’t get swept.

By the way, Carson Kelly is hitting .264 with 17 homeruns.

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~who got his license to carry a firearm in the mail yesterday.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s face it, most of us were wrong in March when the talk was about Wainwright being able to get it done throughout the long season. Sure there’s been ups and downs but AW has taken the pill every time his spot has come up in the rotation, as well as Mikolas and Flaherty (Hudson missed one start early on due to an off day and a rainout on 4/4). To date no ILs and he has won some important games for us.

We also questioned Wacha and that chatter was 50/50 as Wacha has struggled through ’19. Wainwright has proven that his deal for ’19 was insightful on his part. His a warrior. And that will bring up the subject of his plans for ’20. Let’s see what and how he feels in the Spring. I think he goes for it.

The Cards will be looking for pitching next season as Wacha will most likely be gone so they might be looking at Wainwright as a solution to hold down a back of the rotation spot. I’m thinking that if ’20 means him going to the bullpen he probably won’t be interested.

ps… PonceDL has had three great starts since being sent back to Memphis and his name should come up when the ’20 spring training rotation starts to firm up. Gomber hasn’t pitched since 5/13 but hopefully will be back healthy next season.

Participant

Free

Can anybody explain why the white outlined strike box disappeared during and after the 3rd inning? What made it suspicious is that it did show up on the replays of pitches. It would have been nice if Danny Mac or Edmonds had mentioned it but it seemed that still had it on their feed as they were commenting on placement from time to time. This has also happened previously this season but I have never had Fox Sports Midwest respond to any of my inquiries.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t mean to get into some thoughts of 2020 but rather to point out how valuable Wainwright has been for us in 2019.

We are in a division title race that should prove to be exciting. Da Cubs ain’t all what they are made out to be. And either are we… we’ll be better. Yadi is back and Arozarena could be a spark that pulls this team together. The bench will be improved when JMart comes back. However, either Lane or Edman goes back to Memphis… both will need regular playing time by then.

We’re gonna win the NLC because some unknown player as of now will step up and take us on a ride to glory.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If we could have arranged it where Wainwright only pitched at Busch he might be a cy young candidate. Totally different on the road though.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Edman is not going to Memphis…far more likely that Munoz does before Edman. Edman is a switch hitter…big advantage.

Participant

Free

Some good comments but my teams still in it. New day and another chance. Waios got a toolbox full if pitches and experience. Jeez we took the series last time we played these guys. Castillo has a lower era. That means we gotta get some runs. Time to step up! Go Cardinals!

Participant

Paid - Annual

One interesting stat out of this article: the team leader in rbi’s in August is Lane Thomas and he has started two games.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My gosh! The month is half over. Thomas got to sit on the bench again last night as Edman finished the game in right. Even the backup catcher played ahead of him!

Participant

Free

Brian wrote:
    <My gosh! The month is half over. Thomas got to sit on the bench again last night as Edman finished the game in right. Even the backup catcher played ahead of him!>

Yeah, it’s heck not to be a switch hitter or a LH hitter when a right handed pitcher doing the hurling. Baseball is kinda funny about those traditions and mind sets.

Participant

Free

The infatuation with Edman is something I just don’t get. The speed and fielding is definitely intriguing and I’m not writing him off for the future, but the fact is he has the same OPS+ as Carpenter. But Edman is being praised for it (while Carpenter is being bashed) and Lane Thomas is riding the pine because of it

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah… I think that Edman tells Shildt when and where he plays and where he hits in the order like Molina does. Damn rookies. I guess he figures that he’ll get better.

Participant

Free

Yeah, but Edman hits lefthanded against righties. Just because he actually performs worse against righties than Lane Thomas does is no reason to do something rash and play the player who is the better hitter and fielder.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I hope Edman plays.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I cannot believe this…

Participant

Free

And some people would prefer Matt Weiters to Frank Thomas against righties. Opinions vary.

Edit: Now that I see the lineup, I am ready for this toilet to be flushed. That we are in contention with a registered and obvious moron managing this team is unreal. Does he know that Ozuna is right handed? Why not put Weiters in LF?

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

This whole Lane Thomas business is Jack Flaherty’s fault. If he hadn’t botched his couple of pinch running opportunities, Shildt wouldn’t feel compelled to reserve Thomas for that role.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I thought Thomas was the reserve catcher… 😉

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Jesus Christ, Edman in RF over Thomas and Arozarena? Flush this poo down the toilet.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Because Edman is scrappy?

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

As far as the emergency catcher goes, I can guarantee you that if the need ever arises it will be Edman in that position.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I feel for Thomas. Hits a clutch grand slam and triples, plays one more game, then sits.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years