St. Louis “Summer Camp” news

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum St. Louis “Summer Camp” news

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 306 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we are going to go back 60 years then yes I am sure we can find some good signings and trades. Why stop there? Let’s go back to the 1920’s. I am joking.

Seriously, I think there has to be some time limit parameters or this discussion is pointless. The bottom line is there haven’t been many good FA signings and trades since our last World Series appearance and that was seven years ago. It is not a strength of this front office but they are good at drafting and developing so they make up for their deficiencies in other areas.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Totally agree, gscottar. They’ve tried with Peralta, Heyward, Leake, Fowler, Ozuna, etc., but it just hasn’t worked out that well. They haven’t been able to find the Beltran, Berkman, and Hollidays.
    The MOTO guys. They’ve also tried a different tack by bringng in some talented minor leaguers from the outside, though. Guys like O’Neill, Thomas, Williams, Torres, Yepez, etc. Time will tell how well that will work out. O’Neill, Thomas, and, perhaps Williams are on the front burner now. I only fault them for not being able to find an outfielder like they found a Brad Miller for the infield.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They’ve tried with Peralta, Heyward, Leake, Fowler, Ozuna, etc

I’m curious why all of these are considered as failures? Heyward got MVP votes, a gold glove and netted us Dylan Carlson or Dakota Hudson when let go (depending on your judgement of the two picks). Peralta was an All Star before his injuries. Leake and Fowler weren’t great signings. Ozuna was average although more was hoped for. Goldy may be the biggest mistake of all unless he gets back on track this year.

Anyway, my point is that the first two were alright attempts. Not what I’d call failures.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t call them failures, 25. I said they didn’t work out so well. I liked Peralta. I thought he brought a lot to the table, and there were no other viable SS prospects in the upper levels of the minors at the time. Unfortunately, he was injured and went downhill too soon. Heyward? They thought they could extend him and they couldn’t. Ergo, it didn’t work out as well as they had hoped.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ok…that’s fair, bccran. I would agree that the team probably had higher hopes for all of those guys than they ended up getting value from them. The possible exception, ironically, was Leake, who was signed to be a middle of the road innings eater and became basically that. He was then traded when better options were clearly available from the system. I think the Cards got pretty much what they expected, but the system produced and they had to pay to get rid of him at market value.

Participant

Paid - Annual

There might have been other reasons they got rid of Leake. He wasn’t a good fit.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There might have been other reasons they got rid of Leake. He wasn’t a good fit.

Maybe, but having Flaherty, Weaver, Reyes, Hudson, Alcantara, etc was certainly a big reason they were able to let him go. Not to mention the presence of Cmart, Wacha, Waino in the rotation already.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rumored deal has been formalized.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Tuesday night’s intrasquad, the first to be streamed, will start at 7 p.m. Jack Flaherty and Austin Gomber will be the starting pitchers.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Is it streamed via the Cardinals home page?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For the intrasquads:

“Fans can tune in on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, or directly via cardinals.com.”

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Update from the Cardinals regarding tonight’s game:

kscardfankscardfan
    Participant

Free

Blacked out…sheeesh

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is the free game of the day on MLB.com. Check there.

Update: Forget that. It doesn’t seem to work.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

kscardfankscardfan
    Participant

Free

It said blacked out in my area but I’m watching it. The site lied and I’m glad.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Tidbits from Mo on the Cardinals stream tonight:

– Wants to replicate Springfield south camp like a Triple-A roster; likes the diversity of prospects and older players.

– Says St. Louis roster will be more “imbalanced”, especially on the pitching side. Roster will go from 30 to 28 after the first two weeks of the season, 28 to 26 after the following two weeks.

– OF competition has been “very competitive.” Says what everyone knows: Carlson has had a nice summer camp but essentially talked about manipulating his service time. If he is not going to play, don’t want to carry him on the big-league roster just to carry him, but they have a couple of weeks to figure it out.

– Springfield camp will be run in conjunction with LaRocque and Oquendo — as previously reported here. Said a lot of the work will be the same as the camp in StL. Most workouts will start at 6 p.m., but the schedule could change depending on the weather.

– Singled out Austin Dean and Max Schrock as standouts. Feedback from coaches has been very positive. Still has high hopes for Schrock – healthy camp was important for him.

– Said Carlos Martinez’s role is still TBD. Mentioned Helsley has also been impressive in the secondary camp. Likes that Fernandez has experience late in games as well.

– Sosa was another player that stood out to Mo. Versatile player. From an offensive standpoint, he’s showing power. Mo said Sosa was the last player he was a part of signing in Latin America. He was down in Panama at his tryout.

– Says Knizner is improving from a flexibility standpoint, which will help him as a receiver behind the plate. Offensive potential is exciting and deserves an opportunity in the big-leagues.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by AvatarDerek Shore.
    Participant

Free

It was different. But just hearing Dan McLaughlin, seeing the St. Louis skyline, live baseball, etc. was music to my ears. A glimmer of hope. Thank you everyone who made that happen. Go Cards!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Their camera sound and video clarity got worse as the sessions progressed. Sorry for the blurry photos.

Tommy Edman says walks come from swinging at right pitchs. Walking is not something he can practice.

Gomber had both breaking pitches working for strikes. 12-6 wipeout curve plus slider. Threw both for strikes.

Jack Flaherty said it was tough for Gomber to sit out, but he continued to battle. They have talked all the time back to Peoria and lived together for much of that time. Looked pretty good tonight. Really big competitor no matter his stuff that night. Loves competing, games. Slider has gotten better. Gives him something that moves East-West.

Threw 75 pitches today. Would liked to have been more efficient. 90-ish pitches next time and ready to rock from there. Shildt told him he would start Opening Day, but Flaherty said he should wait for Shildt, “Oh, well,” was his comment with a grin.

Hitters really grinded tonight. Hitters worked at-bats too long. Good sign for them. He needs to get ahead and finish at-bats better.

For Austin Gomber, it was harder to get used to being on the mound in the spring. Now he feels same as everyone else. They were ready in Florida and stayed that way.

This season will be about being flexible and versatile (both his role and baseball in general).

On his slider, went back to review 2018. One thing he could do better would be to add a cutter or slider. Now he has it, he has to find spots for curve vs. slider. Rare having both going the same night, but it is fun when they do. Can create new sequences and new looks. Hitters haven’t this this version of him.

Learned cutter from Izzy one time down in Memphis when riding shuttle in 2018. It started to become more of a slider in Memphis last year. Used analytics and technology to decide that he should focus on the slider (over the cutter). First time he had used it.

Mike Shildt confirmed that Flaherty will be the Opening Day starter and he pitched like it today.

Despite six shutout innings, the hitters are in a good place. They took a lot of good at-bats vs. Jack.

Gomber was really sharp. 3 pitches for strikes. Controlled the count.

Webb was fantastic. 14 pitches for six outs. Very impressive.

Gant covered Ravelo having reached. Four-seamer and changeup were good.

Whitley competed to get through inning.

Will have 16-17 pitchers to open the season. Five starters and 12 in the pen vs. 7 or 8 normally. Game situations create opportunity. Sometimes guys will pitch a few days in a row, others not for 4-5 days. Healthy for all guys to want more opportunity, to be #1 starter or closer, etc. Guys like Ponce and Gomber want more, but also accept the team setting. Love their mentality.

Bullpen situations have become normalized. Different situations are high leverage (in 6th, 7th and 8th). Good teams have deep pens to handle all situations. Pitchers know role, but also know it could change daily based on who is available and matchup.

Had multiple conversations with Jordan Hicks. One point was comfort level (given his Type 1). Second was how his health was progressing. His schedule had been to be ready to pitch live game on August 18. But had inflammation after last throw. “A little blip”. That put him in a no-throw period. This “perfect storm” pushed his availability to sometime in September. So his ability to compete in a game setting this season was almost zero. Hardest part for him was leaving team environment. Felt safe there, but if he can’t pitch, there was no sense being there. Will continue rehab in a more private setting.

Carlson is having a good camp. Complimented him for his approach vs. Flaherty and heads up baserunning. Paying attention with defensive nuances. Like a lot of guys, he is having a good camp.

Has high expectations for all to be complete defensive players. Guys in right spots. Mentioned O’Neill play tonight in gap.

Not at point of calling closer by committee. Likes to have structure in pen. Can have committee if the one person is not available on a given day. Without that, you get guys out of position for 6th, 7th and 8th. Beautiful to have options for the 9th. Still open competition. Guys good enough to pitch anywhere.

Will see Brad Miller and Dexter Fowler in next intrasquad, which will be on Thursday.

Wednesday will start at noon (rain threat). Take live BP early. Can wait for a while to get in rest of work if needed.

No updates on any of the (five) players not in camp.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Game line for both teams was 0-3-0.

Visitor (Blue)
    O’Neill 2-3
    Ravelo 1-2, SB
    Edman, Wieters 0-2, BB, K

Flaherty 4+IP, 3 H, 0 R/ER, 2 BB, 3 K, pitches 73/43 strikes
    Webb 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R/ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 14/11

Home (Red)
    Carlson 2-2, incl. double
    Molina 1-1, BB

Gomber 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R/ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 55/39
    Gant 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R/ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 19/14
    Whitley 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R/ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 19/11

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I watched a little of the game amongst other things last evening. Jack looked solid and Gomber looked sharp. The pitching has been clearly ahead of the hitting right now. It remains to be seen whether the Cards pitching is just incredibly good or the offense is primed to really struggle. Hopefully the former.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals struggled to score runs last season and Ozuna is gone.

Good to hear, though, that Dean has looked good. That slash line at AAA last season of .337/.400/.635/1.035 is impressive. He struggled in 34 major league games in 2018 and 64 major league games in 2019, but maybe the third time will be a charm.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Unfortunately for him, Dean looks to be stuck behind a lot of outfielders – and Carlson will soon pass him. He might have a better shot in the 1B pecking order if Ravelo is injured. (Though you will probably not accept this, Dean being on the 40-man suggests he would get a shot before Nogowski.)

Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh, I agree that as it stands now Dean has a better shot than Nagowski. But if Nagowski is needed, there’s always a way to get him on the 40 man.

I just think about a player in the Royals organization that finally did nicely with the Cardinals when given a real chance –

2017 – .309/.379/.518/.897
    2018 – .305/.364/.457/.821

Maybe Dean can follow that pattern.

Participant

Free

I was a big advocate of Gomber getting a rotation spot coming out of Spring Training 1.0, he looked great, lefty, long term potential to be a top rotation arm, etc.

That being said, with him getting the “opening night” start against JF, could that mean the Cards might be leaning toward him getting a spot in the rotation? Or maybe I’m reading into it to much?

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 306 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years