St. Louis “Summer Camp” news

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum St. Louis “Summer Camp” news

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 306 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Add Jack Flaherty’s mom to the long list of people who want to see the Cardinals stream their camp games.

https://twitter.com/JackandGradyMom/status/1282093196927832064

Participant

Free

Why not?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those wondering, the hair color is blond. (Reminder that my Saturday game notes are back on Page 4.)

Participant

Paid - Annual

In Brian’s Saturday notes on page 4 manager has some complimentary statements on Oviedo. Nice to see his progression, had his share of struggles after signing that big bonus.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am with you. Here is my first paragraph from Oviedo’s prospect write-up last winter.

“I’ve been an Oviedo (pronounced “oh-vee-A-dough”) backer all along, with the most aggressive ranking of our three voters for the big right-hander in both of the last two annual rankings here. He was my no. 21 each year, as I couldn’t quite place him in my top 20 until he began to show more of his potential. That is coming. And because of his strong 2019, the others have caught up with me in the balloting for 2020. Welcome to the bandwagon!”

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Speaking of bandwagons, I’ll jump on the rotation bandwagon. Appears we have a 16 game winner lined up in the SP5 role (Hudson), and we swapped out Wacha for Carlos Martinez, who is being praised by his catchers and manager in Summer Camp.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Andrew Miller has the salary of a closer. How nice would it be to see him take charge of the role? He likely has more career saves than the other candidates combined.

Unfortunately the Cardinals aren’t getting the 2016 version of Miller. He can be a solid contributor but those glory days as a lock down weapon are probably long gone.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Andrew hasn’t been a “solid contributor” for us yet, and I hope he “can be”. Eleven mil for a negative war and a 5.19 FIP is not what was hoped for at his signing. My lock down closer scenario is really me not wanting to bash his contract at seasons end 🙂

Participant

Paid - Annual

The way it seems to go these days is a guy who can throw 100 blows out his arm before he learns how to get guys out without throwing 100, so you go on to the next guy who can throw 100. Rinse and repeat. Going forward, with a slimmed down draft and minor league system, it may no longer be possible to keep coming up with enough fresh pitching to feed into the grinder. Something will have to give. Maybe more Millers. Maybe more Webb type guys who have kept their arm together long enough to hopefully learn how to pitch with what they’ve got. More international teenagers. We will see.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sunday intrasquad.

Note: “Beginning Tuesday, we will stream most of the remaining intrasquad games with @DannyMacTV on the call!”

Lineups:
    https://twitter.com/Cardinals/status/1282374542506315776

Blue 2-3-4
    Red 2-4-0

Edman 0-1, 2 BB
    Bader 1-3, RBI
    Knizner 1-2, double, run
    Schrock 1-1, double, BB, RBI, run
    (both doubles off Helsley)
    O’Neill 0-2, 2 K
    Ravelo 0-2, K
    2 errors each by Schrock, Ravelo

Carpenter 0-3, 2 K, RBI
    Molina 1-2
    Carlson 1-2
    Dean 2-2, run
    Herrera 0-1, HBP, run
    Wong 0-3, 2 K
    Molina, Thomas caught stealing

Mikolas 2.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R/0 ER, 2 K, 53/30 pitches
    Cecil 1 IP, 1 H, 12/7
    Miller 1 IP 2 H, 2 K, 22/15

Gant 1 IP, 1 BB, 1 K, 14/7
    Helsley 1 IP, 2 H, 1 R/ER, 2 K, 26/17
    Fernandez 1 IP, 1 BB, 11/5
    Woodford 1.2 IP 1 H. 1 R/ER, 2 BB, 1 K 44/24

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Explanation why run scored against Mikolas with no RBI. His third inning was rolled. Woodford also rolled in the final inning. The Cards scored the game as innings 1-3 and 8-9.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Stupid rule

Participant

Paid - Annual

Let em play

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

During downtime Tyler O’Neill did all he could with body to be in good position. Decided to stay in FL. Did not want to get caught at Canadian border. Worked out with Jeff Albert 3-4x per week.

Trying to be smooth in OF. Slowing down. Working with McGee. Footwork and throwing transfer.

At plate, been playing around with a couple of things. They have some good pitchers in the pen.

It is an adjustment to face teammates. Have to dig down in intrasquads. Have to find fire somehow. Have to stay locked in during shorter games.

Have taken a lot of swings the last few days. Hands are hurting. All is good.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Miles Mikolas on his last inning. Like to not hit a batter. Put him in rough spot. But kept ball on ground. Didn’t leave the infield. Probably DP on normal day. Allowed him to get pitch count up, which was good.

Routine to stretch and get loose is important at age 32. Can’t just fall out of bed and pitch like when younger.

Plan is to mix up pitches, keep hitters off his fastball. Throw strikes with breaking ball. “Any pitch, any time mentality.”

Facing teammates is different. Immediately talk trash or not. Still enemy, trying to get outs. As games get longer, they should be more of an edge, guys getting grittier.

Still thinking of DeJong’s HR in first game. Had to commit more to inside fastball today. Rather hit batter than give up HR. Held back 1st game because teammates. Today: “Get off the plate.”

Fun to pitch against Carp, Wong – good eyes. Thomas is a good hitter. Molina looked at him before game knowing they would face off. Guys coming at each other is fun.

Not concerned about shorter camp. Guys stayed ready.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Lane Thomas was standing there when Mikolas mentioned him. All teammates want each other to get better.

Good facing guys who know me to see how they pitch me. Also good to get a feel for the strike zone again.

During off-time had a good group in Knoxville. Worked out at his high school with group including Nick Senzel and Mike Minor.

Regarding expectations for this season. Not many get this opportunity. Not taking situations for granted, Not taking selfish at-bats.

It is different from AAA, as the decision makers got reports, but here it is good to perform in fron of those making decisions.

Not trying to outplay everybody. Get locked in for when at-bats matter.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mike Shildt thought it was a vintage Miller situation today. Carlson got base hit to right. Dean got a hit. Bunt play and Miller made a nice play to get runner at third. Got Kolten on a good slider and heater to Carp on a full count.

Happy part of intrasquad was Miles. Really sharp, got soft contact. Threw a lot of good pitches. Not clean defense. Happens occasionally. Not going to overreact.

Zack Thompson initially tried to do too much. Getting after it vs. being timid. Regrouped and caught himself. Backed off and made more quality pitches at end. (Thompson threw live BP, facing Carlson, Dean and Williams.)

Top of 9th, score was 3-1, then gave up 2 runs. Set up game in respect for Miles to have first three innings, then set up relief situations in last two.

Same rules for all intrasquads but don’t come into play until pitch count gets up to 20. Hadn’t happened before today. Roll inning with two outs, team gets one run. Roll with less than two outs, team gets two runs.

Jake Woodford also worked in relief in spring last couple of years. If he comes up and helps this season, it may be in that role. They gave him enough time to be ready to go in relief.

Tyler O’Neill very conscientious to become a complete player. Started last year and worked in off season. Know offense will be there. All the nuances (positioning, routes, throwing) add up. Seeing improvement.

Not clarity to talk roles for O’Neill or Thomas yet. Both in good place.

Cabrera, Sanchez, Montero tested positive again. Still asymptomatic. Chomping at bit to get back. Reyes and Gallegos still trying to get back. Will be a challenge to make the team. When they get back, how can they get ready without rushing them?

Taking day off Monday. Work in camp has been solid and efficient. Guys came in ready. Competition has bene clean. Feels like they are in a good place in a lot of areas.

Edman walked twice. Had a great year last year. Don’t want to change his DNA. He looks to hit. Tommy recognized late last year and this spring that maybe he expended the zone more than needed and got himself out. Needs “proper patience”. Be “patient-aggressive”, still take good swings.

Would be nice to play against outside competition (though Royals game not yet official). Good for fans to see on TV. Good dress rehearsal for team.

Applauds game for recognizing injustice and oppression. Game itself is not prejudiced. It just cares if you play right and respect it. Has seen injustice with African Americans and Latin players and it always bothered him. Creating awareness and fairness in competing. Wants to find solutions. Now have more people’s attention. Create and maintain even playing field.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jake Woodford also worked in relief in spring last couple of years. If he comes up and helps this season, it may be in that role. They gave him enough time to be ready to go in relief.

Tyler O’Neill very conscientious to become a complete player. Started last year and worked in off season. Know offense will be there. All the nuances (positioning, routes, throwing) add up. Seeing improvement.

A couple of interesting notes there. I know one of the writers on this site (Derek, perhaps?) liked the idea of using Woodford in relief.

Also caught my eye that Shildt believes that O’Neill’s offense is a given. Bccran will be disappointed to see that.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

He’ll be absent until Bader cools off
    *wink*

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d be delighted if O’Neill and Bader had great years. But what are the odds?

Participant

Paid - Annual

gsc:

Unfortunately the Cardinals aren’t getting the 2016 version of Miller. He can be a solid contributor but those glory days as a lock down weapon are probably long gone.

The Cards rarely get what they paid for. Acquiring players in “those glory days” and then we watch them go down the tube. You all know the suspects.

Participant

Paid - Annual

14 – what about Berkman, Beltran, Walker, etc.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

14 – what about Berkman, Beltran, Walker, etc.

It doesn’t fit the narrative. Haha

All clubs hit on some signings and miss on others. Some have taken it to an extreme that they just won’t spend any money on the risky vets. Others accept that not every one will work out and plan accordingly.

I will admit that the Cards generally have not done as well on the bigger name, older free agents of late than they did earlier in the decade. That doesn’t mean they should all be avoided though.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards have been fairly successful with veteran fill ins they’ve signed to shorter term contracts. Take David Eckstein as a perfect case in point. Where they’ve been stung is signing longer term deals with guys like Fowler, Leake, Cecil, etc.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Dick Allen
    Ronnie Belliard
    Carlos Beltran
    Lance Berkman
    Bobby Bonds
    Bobby Bonilla
    Tom Brunansky
    Lew Burdette
    Chris Carpenter
    Orlando Cepeda
    Eric Davis
    Octavio Doyle
    Dennis Eckersely
    David Eckstein
    Jim Edmonds
    Cal Eldred
    David Freese
    Mark Grudzianek
    Pedro Guerrero
    Al Hrabosky

Etc., Etc., Etc.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 306 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years