Spring training team news

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Spring training team news

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 165 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Its 12 degrees in Montreal right now, wind chill of +1. It will be cold, very cold there next Mon and Tue. It should get the team acclimated for their opener a week from Thu. vs. NYM. New York is also having a cold snap that will continue into next week. A 5-8 inch snow is forecasted for the 21st and another coating on Sun. the 25th. What a lousy month its been around the metro NYC area, 2-4 in. snowfalls every five days or so, cold and windy. Not welcoming for baseball.

Participant

From MLB’s Joe Treeza:

If shortstop Paul DeJong avoids a sophomore slump and second baseman Kolten Wong continues to improve, St. Louis’ offense could rank abmong baseball’s most dynamic.

When one looks at the Card’s lineup, “baseball’s most dynamic’ doesn’t come to mind. Very optimistic outlook loaded with ifs.

Participant

Just guessing that many contributors here were wrapped up in the tournament. How are the brackets looking?
    If you have 1/2 of the sweet 16 teams….. you’re doing well.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Doesn’t Olympic stadium have a roof now? I can’t remember.

Participant

Free

It’s always had a roof. It’s was retractable at one point but it was such a piece of junk they never really opened it at all. I do believe they replaced it but in general Olympic Stadium is one of the biggest architectural blunders in North America.

I just hope no one gets hurt or some concrete falls on anyone.

Participant

Paid - Annual

My recollection is that back in the 70’s and 80’s it was an open air stadium but then a roof was added later. Regardless I don’t think weather is going to be an issue when we play there at the end of this month.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The roof was always planned, but the original project dragged on so long, it was not added until a decade later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Stadium_(Montreal)

Participant

Free

Yes it was open air for a few seasons. I stand corrected. However I only remember the dome being closed almost every time we went to Montreal.

God reading that wiki page almost makes me wish Montreal never gets another franchise. What a mess!

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Montreal should get another team for the simple reason that their owner was a con artist who not only screwed Montreal over but somehow managed to screw over Miami as well. MLB and Bud Selig (who for the longest time I thought was the worst Commissioner ever until Rob Manfred said: Hold my beer) went along with Loria.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You mean Cooperstown Hall of Famer Bud Selig? 😉

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I wonder if the baseball commissioner’s job is one where no one can truly succeed? The job is really not powerful enough to escape the control of the owners, who tend to be a bunch of too-rich executives who made their money elsewhere, and think of a baseball team more as a toy they got for Christmas. Has there ever been a great commissioner? Landis lent a tough hand when baseball really needed it, but was not able to change with the times later in his career.

Since then there have been some real questionable choices, like Ford Frick, William Eckert, Bowie Kuhn…

Bart Giamatti might have been a good one, but ended up being sort of the “William Henry Harrison” of baseball commissioners. That would make Fay Vincent the “John Tyler” of commissioners, sort of a “His Accidency” in ascending to the role. Like Tyler, he was probably better than people thought he would be, but nothing special.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Selig wasn’t that bad really. Yes, he oversaw the steroid era and the “all star game that counts” fiasco but he also presided during a period of robust growth and profitability and labor peace.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

IMO, Selig was not a commissioner as much as being essentially the lead owner. Giamatti and Vincent were the last semi-independent commissioners. That will almost certainly never be allowed again as the owners have too much money at stake to risk losing control.

Is “robust growth and profitability” – when much of it has been at the expense of the fan – a good thing or bad?

Participant

Free

Bud Selig presided over labor peace? News to me.

Participant

Paid - Annual

IMO, Selig was not a commissioner as much as being essentially the lead owner. Giamatti and Vincent were the last semi-independent commissioners. That will almost certainly never be allowed again as the owners have too much money at stake to risk losing control.

Is “robust growth and profitability” – when much of it has been at the expense of the fan – a good thing or bad?

I think it is usually a good thing when the teams are healthy financially, although it is better when they reinvest those profits into on the field product instead of going into their pockets, which we are familiar with in St. Louis.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bud Selig presided over labor peace? News to me.

There was one strike in his roughly 23 year term and that was early in his “acting commissioner” days.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

MLB is lobbying Congress to include an exemption on federal minimum wage laws in the new spending bill for minor league players in order to end the law suits against them.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2018/03/19/mlb-is-reportedly-lobbying-congress-to-keep-minor-leaguers-from-earning-minimum-wage/111140308/

Participant

Free

Actually I’ll disagree Black Hills! The stadium fiasco was before Loria and is the exact reason why Montreal shouldn’t be allowed a team again. The town allowed this mess to happen. You really think it couldn’t happen again?

I don’t care how full Olympic stadium will be next week. I won’t sign off on a team there until someone puts a proposal there that isn’t half assed. I won’t sign off on a team playing in Olympic Stadium either! It’s Miami 2.0 as far as I’m concerned with the fan base. Baseball in Florida has been a failure for the most part.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I agree with where he is coming from, but I still remember Shane Robinson’s glorious spring of 2013, too!

Participant

The forecast for metro NYC is +/- 14″ today. Not much of a warm up next week… so there will be many parking spots at Citibank covered with large amounts of snow for the Metsies home opener. Play Ball.

Participant

It seems strange that Votto is having such a slow ST… 5 for 36 .169BA and 0-XBH. He’ll probably kick it gear when the season starts up.

Participant

Free

Imo mayers is and always was trade bait. It isn’t that he’s a bad pitcher. I think he will be fine in a bullpen role.

It is that we have so many guys who will do perfectly well in a bullpen role at aaa and just signed a bunch more.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I recently read a quote from Pham saying his eyes were not an issue. Now they apparently are – again.

Participant

This is not good news. Pham has always been a streaky hitter… long streaks, good and bad. The consequences of him not being able to see pitches and having to go to the bench or DL will cause changes that will effect the team’s strategies. Many folks planned to have Pham repeat his ’17 numbers and hold down CF.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years