Spring training team news

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Spring training team news

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 165 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wainwright discusses why he does not want to discuss his future.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals were reportedly among 20 or more teams attending a Tim Lincecum throwing session Thursday in Washington state.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/mariners-among-several-teams-in-attendance-for-tim-lincecums-showcase-in-kent/

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian-keep trying to access the story on page 1 about Prospects in camp and site keeps telling me to login and when i login it takes me to my profile page.What is going on?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If you are logged in, it will say “WELCOME, your name” at the upper right of the page. (Since you posted here, you are surely logged in.) If you click on the article and it says you must first log in, it means your web browser stored an earlier copy of the article in your cache and thinks it is doing you a favor by displaying its stored copy rather than taking the extra time to download a new one. The solution is simply to refresh or reload the page (after you verify you are logged in). Your browser should have a button near where the URL is shown that looks like an arrow in a circle shape. That is the reload button.

P.S. I used to run into this problem all the time with Insider articles on ESPN and was frustrated until I learned how easy the work around is. Unfortunately, it is just the way web browsers work. If you forget to log in before trying to read an article the first time, the browser stores the unlogged in copy and keeps showing it until you tell it otherwise, by reloading the page.

Participant

Ben Hochman wrote about Dexter Fowler last night for the Post Dispatch:

And Fowler has seemed to take the move from center to right field in stride. I remember his introductory news conference, after Fowler signed with St. Louis, and asking him about possibly someday moving to a corner outfield spot. I remembered the look — his eyes screamed, “Come on, man!”

Fowler has PICKED where he wanted to play in ’18. In the majors Fowler has played ONE game in RF… ONE inning in RF and that was TEN years ago, but he wants to play there saying it will save his legs. So some on the job training this spring should have him ready to start in RF for the Cardinals. Where else can he tell the FO where he wants to play? They are doing everything possible to avoid the fact that they made a big mistake in signing him up. So maybe they didn’t know about his non-flexibility in RF. They had signed him to play CF, never thinking that he wasn’t really able to. How could they possibly have known that?

Maybe they’ll have to move Ozuna to RF if Fowler can’t play right… his MLB defensive resume may be an omen? I just don’t get this whole dilemma that the FO has brought upon itself.

I really don’t care much for overrated under achieving players.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So before ever seeing Fowler in right, you have determined he cannot move there from CF and do an adequate job? Do you have anything to back that up other than your oft-repeated dislike of his contract?

Participant

I believe you were one of those praising his CF prowess when him first showed up in St Louis. Did he live up to all those expectations. I see you used the word “adequate”, what is that implying?

Very few have ever seen Fowler play RF in the majors… you would have had to be at that ONE game in COL on Sept. 16th, 2008 vs. SD. No balls were hit to him so he has never seen a ball hit to him in RF in the majors. To put that into perspective, on that day in CIN Brad Looper started for the Cardinals and lost a 7-2 game.

Why is he allowed to tell the team that he wants to play in RF when he has but that ONE inning playing there…. 10 years ago? In my estimation he is a primadona, one with a large ego. And why not…. he is paid like one.

Participant

David Carlson of the Post Dispatch provided this headline:

Cardinals Dexter Fowler arrives to spring training early.

Its now a headline when Fowler arrives anywhere early.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m trying to think of a player that has been this disparaged in the last 10-20 years and I can’t think of one off the top of my head. Pretty bizarre. It is like an obsession with some people.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just as Fowler has only one career game in RF, so does Ozuna. That is right, just one. The latter is your newly acquired star who you want to make feel at home with his new team in hopes he stays beyond his current commitment of two years. Further, the new man also happens to be the reigning Gold Glove Award winner in left field.

So which one does the objective person move to right? The guy who has to be moved anyway or the guy who has been the very best in the league precisely where he is? Have two of the three outfielders in new positions or just one? Seems pretty simple.

I believe that your concern over his contract distorts your vision of all else about him.

Participant

BW, your tendency to use reason is killin’ me. 🙂

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I’m just glad your Sunday vision is clearer than your Saturday view. There may still be hope! 😉

Participant

Is that a vote of confidence? 😐

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not good news for those who want to see Jose Martinez play more. Good for Jedd Gyorko, though.

Participant

It seems that the Cards like Voit’s offensive approach. Giving him time in the OF and even mentioning catching (his college position), to me says that the organization is in on Voit, if he can prove some flexibility (usually a must for a guy in his position).

It goes without saying that if JoMartinez hits like its 2017, he’ll get plenty of ABs. The more he hits the more ABs. It will be interesting to see how this plays out during ST.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Well at this point its just laughable.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Not good news for those who want to see Jose Martinez play more. Good for Jedd Gyorko, though.

STL Cardinals News
    @STLCardsNews
    Carpenter, whose back is stiff, will work mostly at first base https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/carpenter-whose-back-is-stiff-will-work-mostly-at-first/article_887568dc-5aef-5ebc-8c2b-faf08f12297f.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=dlvr

11:39 AM – Feb 18, 2018

Carpenter, whose back is stiff, will work mostly at first base
    Veteran infielder will move to other positions later this spring. Full-scale drills will begin on Monday.

stltoday.com
    See STL Cardinals News’s other Tweets

After reading the article it sounds like a temporary situation to me. We are still six weeks from opening day. If JMart hits he will play.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Of course, Carpenter’s back will be downplayed. The players just reported to camp.

And the problem may just be first-week soreness that goes away. Or not.

It is hard for me to forget about the mysterious shoulder injury that wasn’t a problem but clearly was for most of last season. The one that supposedly went away with rest. They may have zero connection, but Carpenter is now 32 years old. Those formerly small problems get bigger with age.

Participant

He just got there and already has “back” problems. We will see what happens during the season but Carp mya have a few visits to the DL this year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well if he has a few DL visits this year that just means more at bats for JMart.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

I’ll be watching Piscotty, Grichuk and Diaz to see if they can bounce back to past successful form. Naturally, Alcantara be interesting to follow at TB and the sleeper of the departures can very well be Gallen. I wonder how intent the Rays were to get him.

Participant

That’s the second time that I confused the Rays and the Marlins. What’s up with that? Two lousy FL. teams.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years