Sonny Gray

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Free-agent RHP Sonny Gray finalizing three-year, $75M contract with Cardinals, source tells
    @TheAthletic”

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Nice move by the Cardinals.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

It’s astounding to think that a 34 year old pitcher receiving $75M for 3 years of work has become commonplace.

Marilyn Green
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s a very underwhelming move.

They will have to do this all over again next year. Probably plenty of old and cheap guys to get though.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think I predicted this signing recently in the “what it is going to take to fix the Cardinals” thread.

The Cardinals are counting on Gray to be the ace. Hopefully he can deliver. I don’t have a big problem with this move except we lose a second round draft pick.

Anyway, the heavy lifting is now over for the Cardinals. They might still trade O’Neill to creat space for a bullpen addition but that is probably about it. See you in Jupiter.

1982 willie
    Participant

I think it’s a lot of money for gray. It’s definitely a gamble. I think if our offense does it’s job ad he’s healthy, it will work out as a great move. Id rather have the Japanese player if only one just due to his age but who knows maybe we get him too but the 25 million a season may make that doubtful. For me at least No has at least made the effort on a free agent pitcher who is not over the hill. So I’m fine with it even if this is it but I still think there may be another player coming even if not the Japanese guy

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Because the Central Division is just as inept as the Cardinals its hard to predict where they actually finish next season. But with the completely uninspiring signings I’d say their ceiling is second place and the floor is next to last. So third or fourth is my guess. It was laughable to think they’d actually spend on the talent required to win anything of substance.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Why do so many act negatively all the time? IMO, it is a good move. They probably aren’t finished.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

I love this! Finally a solid number 2 rotation guy! Now we Yamamoto and we are all set!

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Id rather have done this move

neither of Lynn and Gibson…use that money (23) to sign a better pitcher and go with Zach Thompson for the 5 and let the other kids fight for it, maybe go for a cheap veteran 1yr deal for a Rich Hill type to be safe

now we have a 1 that is a 2-3 in G ray
    a 2 that is a 3 in Mik
    a 3 who is 4-5 in Matz (who cant stay healthy)
    and a 4 and 5 that are 5’s at their best in their careers in Lynn and Gibson

not the most encouraging moves

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

sigh

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I always suspected we’d sign either Gray or Imanaga and then sign someone like Gibson. Those 2 moves are solid moves and seemed very Cardinals-like. I’m still hung up on signing Lynn. I really thought we’d get that third starter in a trade. I was looking for someone with just 1 or 2 years of salary arbitration left. That makes me overall disappointed. I’m not upset. Just a little disappointed. But I guess they may not be finished.

Right now, Gray is an upgrade to Montgomery – probably anyway. Gibson is an upgrade to what we got from Flaherty. And Lynn should surely be an upgrade from what we got from Wainwright. I don’t really think Matz or Mikolas is likely to decline much from last season. And we’re replacing Woodford’s and Liberatore’s innings with Thompson and whoever else is pitching well at AAA. That should mean we are better. I’ll take solace in that. Onto the bullpen . . .

14NyquisT
    Participant

“Because Gray received and turned down a qualifying offer from the Twins earlier this month and his deal exceeds $50 million, Minnesota will receive a compensatory 2024 Draft pick after Competitive Balance Round A. St. Louis, meanwhile, will lose its second-highest 2024 Draft pick, as well as $500,000 from its international bonus pool for the upcoming signing period, because it did not exceed the Competitive Balance Tax threshold in 2023 and did not receive revenue sharing support”.

With all the “con”s attached to getting Gray Mozeliak has put himself out on a limb. IMO…Gray doesn’t have the mound stature that a #1 should have. 5’10” is short in pitching circles. Losing the 2rd rd. draft pick is disturbing.

But if Gray can earn his contract salary…. I’m fine with this move.

Marilyn Green
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They are likely done with the rotation and will add some bullpen arms and be done.

There is nothing inherently wrong with Gray. He is 34 years old and will not be good for three years.

The problem is they haven’t done anything for the long term. They are just putting things off for another year hoping to get lucky with the arms in the minor leagues. That strategy hasn’t worked out in a long time.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I bet that they are not done.

PadsFS
    Participant

One thing this does is buy time for Roby and Hence. They won’t be forced into the 2025 rotation.

However, if they don’t develop (nor anyone else steps up) 2026 will be like 2023 in that we could have 4 free agent starter positions open.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Marilyn, you might want to read the prospect countdown. The team has never had this quality and sheer surplus at AAA and AA.
    Liberatore, Thompson, Graceffo, McGreevey, Rom, Robberse, Kloffenstien, Roby, Hence, Rajic, Bedell, Hjerpe, Hansen, etc…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Id rather have done this move

neither of Lynn and Gibson…use that money (23) to sign a better pitcher and go with Zach Thompson for the 5 and let the other kids fight for it, maybe go for a cheap veteran 1yr deal for a Rich Hill type to be safe

now we have a 1 that is a 2-3 in G ray
    a 2 that is a 3 in Mik
    a 3 who is 4-5 in Matz (who cant stay healthy)
    and a 4 and 5 that are 5’s at their best in their careers in Lynn and Gibson

not the most encouraging moves

Some of that is true but you might be underestimating Gibson. He would have probably been the second best starter in our 2023 rotation and may be second best in 2024.

Marilyn Green
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There have always been prospects that have promise. When was the last time the minor leagues produced a No. 1 starter?

It looked like Flaherty might be, but injuries derailed that.

They have been trying to make Liberatore into a starter for a while. He hasn’t worked out.

Thompson has shown something lately but I am not holding my breath. The rest are lottery tickets.

I personally am not counting on any of them.

1982 willie
    Participant

Yea losing the pick is not great though more times than not, we don’t seem to pick well anyway. But might have been useful in a trade.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gray is a very reasonable alternative to signing a younger guy to a longer, bigger contract, and enduring the risk that comes with that.

Marilyn Green
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It appears the Cardinals’ excessive risk averseness and reluctance to spend money has rubbed off on some people. It is a shame.

Starters who have shown they have the stuff are less risky than relying on arms that haven’t. You can always trade a longer term contract.

I have no problems with hoping on minor leaguers as long as you mitigate that with some proven talent. The Cardinals don’t do that. They just sign the shorter term contracts on the middle tier pitchers and rely on their ever dwindling luck of the draft.

PadsFS
    Participant

I really don’t think we will go through this again next offseason. Both Lynn and Gibson have options.

Marilyn Green
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yay! The pitchers who lead in home runs allowed and hits allowed all have an option.

I get trying to make the best of this. I have just lost my ability to cover for incompetence.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 158 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.