Reds thread

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What are the Reds doing? I thought they signed people a year ago in hopes of making some noise over the next 2-3 years???

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

They went big for 2020, crapped out, and are now cashing in all of their chips. They are going to be competing against the Pirates this year for last. The NLC is going to be awful. I seriously believe 85 wins might win the division going away.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I seriously believe 85 wins might win the division going away.

Nah, they all have to play each other. The team that wins might have 85 win talent but could win 90+ games thanks to a weak division.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

…and will be a heavy underdog in the first round of the playoffs, even if their record on paper is better…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

…and will be a heavy underdog in the first round of the playoffs, even if their record on paper is better…

Absolutely. Just like this year when the Central teams got clubbed in the playoffs. Of course, sometimes teams that aren’t as good managed to find a way to sneak into playoff series wins.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I should probably amend my statement regarding 85 wins. It won’t take that many to win the division since it seems 162 games will not be played. I guess it will be the 85 win equivalent in a 100 or 125 game season.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This touches on another point of potential impact. With an additional round of the playoffs, it is going to be more difficult for an underdog to get to the top.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is a duplicate of comments I made on the Cubs thread, but I believe it should be here, also.

The Reds lost a lot of pitching. Bauer almost certainly isn’t coming back. DeSclafani already signed elsewhere. Gray is rumored to be on the trade block as is Castillo. Their best setup man left as a free agent (Bradley) and they traded away their closer (Iglesias).

With all of those pitchers on their roster, the 2020 Reds finished just one game ahead of the COVID Cardinals.

I cannot objectively see those two teams on the same plane in 2021.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Do little is a perfect fit for the NL Central – except for one team…

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years