Press Conference – Marmol named manager

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Press Conference – Marmol named manager

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    ZTR
    Participant

Free

Gamecard, as of right now neither Schildt nor the Cardinals have said specifically what the philosophical differences were that lead to Schildt’s dismissal therefore no one can tell you.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

This is an interesting experiment for sure.

If they give Marmol the players to win then he will win.

Torre won once he went to the Yankees because he had a superior roster – not because he became a better manager.

Fans just want to win and if they went down to the Saint Louis zoo and got a giraffe to manage the team no one would care as long as they won the division, lol.

bccran
    Participant

The Hollidays and Marmols are close friends. I just gained some insight into the whole situation by listening to a podcast with the Hollidays interviewing the Marmols. Google “Table 40 Podcast Marmol”.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

I like the hire, but I don’t think those knocking Mo are off base. The brains of the front office left for Houston a long time ago, and Mo is still riding Lunhow’s coattails.

That said, I think they’ve finally constructed a roster that has offense and defense. The question, as it always is in baseball, is will the pitching be there. We shall see.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Disappointed that we hire a Mo yes man. I hope I am wrong.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I honestly don’t know enough about Marmol to have an opinion of him but I am not surprised he got the job. The Cardinals have been sending not so subtle messages recently that their intentions are to double down on analytics and they want a manager who will act accordingly. They were never going to hire a veteran manager.

All we can do is hope for the best for him. Maybe he will be as good as Alex Cora, minus the cheating.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He may be a good coach. I dunno, he hasn’t really done much of it, but neither had Matheny and he produced some great teams

But it’s pretty hard not to see him as a “yes man”

You don’t rise from being drafted in 2007 to being the MLB head coach by creating waves or challenging the tops decisions.

He’s cheap and easy and now the philosophy of depending on the farm to fill MLB roles is almost complete. They had a chance to remove Albert with Edmonds and Duncan with Carpenter but that will have to wait it seems (or maybe they don’t want those strong voices)

Best case we get a Matheny type run, worst case he’s gone after a year or two and used as a scapegoat for someone else’s mistakes. That’s usually the ultimate role of the “yes man”

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The hire seems like a continuing of the Shildt regime – bench coach moved to manager. Hard to say much positive or negative about the hire. I do like the fact that Oli is a young guy – cannot really say why but it just strikes me as more positive than negative – maybe relating to the players better, or understanding trends and tendencies better.

It will be interesting to see how he runs the club and uses the personnel. Shildt’s decisions always left room for a lot of criticism, but then that comes with the territory. Maybe Stubby gets moved to bench coach?

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I read that article that you wrote brain. But I fail to see where your take is on it as you said in the article unless I’m missing something. All I read was from eithers Mos point of view or marmols. Like I said maybe I’m missing something.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fair point, 1982Cards. At least the price is right, eh? 😉

The focus is more on reporting what happened today as I heard it. My suggestion is to read between the lines about what they want to do – in the context of what Shildt apparently didn’t do.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I’m sure Marmol is a nice young fellow and competent baseball man, and I’ll certainly be pulling hard for him to succeed, but this hiring leaves me feeling like I just walked into a room full of stale air. Somebody, please, throw open a window! It leaves no sense of something new, something better and exciting on the horizon. Kinda like eating leftovers for the third day in a row. Mo goes on about maintaining the success and progress built over the 2021 season. Except for that final great three weeks which was exciting indeed, I saw a mediocre season that left little to be overly proud of. And Mo promises more of the same.
    What’s the saying about rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic…

Steve60
    Participant

Free

I have said for awhile now that I view Mo and his lack of effective signings recently as the primary reason for the Cardinals lack of playoff success recently and now we have basically made him the manager by proxy! Obviously Schildt had the guts to stand up and say he didn’t agree with Mo and look what happened to him! I think this is a very scary time for Cardinal nation! I hope I am wrong but I think things are gonna get worse before they get better! Eventually someone above him will figure out Mo is the problem, not the ones below him!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

In my mind if Marmol continues to bat Goldschmidt 2nd then, well, let’s just say that isnt good.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I am fine with Marmol.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

“In my mind, if Marmol continues to bat Goldschmidt 2nd then, well, let’s just say that isn’t good”. What would you do? IMO, Edman is the lead-off hitter and some combination of O’Neill, Goldschmidt, Arenado & Carlson are the first 5.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Edman
    Carlson
    Arenado
    Goldschmidt
    O’Neill
    Molina
    Dejong/Sosa
    Bader

I like Molina behind O’Neill. With O’Neill’s speed and Molina’s ability to hit the ball to right there could be quite a few hit & runs in this situation. Of course, O’Neill has to get on, he can’t strikeout all the time. He fanned 35% of the time last year, and, well, of course that isnt good either.

r/Esteemed Rat

Steve60
    Participant

Free

God, if we have to watch DeJong another I’ll be in the insane asylum! I prefer Carlos Correa! Lol!

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I agree! I like that line-up but with the likelihood that their is a DH Nolan Gorman fits in there.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Two observations:

1. “Examples cited include sharing “why players were acquired and how to (best) use them”. I wonder if this is where Shildt ran aground.

2. For some unexplainable reason Oli reminds me of Yakov Smirnoff.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

No problem with the hire but do not trust Mo to fix the holes in the roster. Prove me wrong please.

bccran
    Participant

The message seemed clear. There’s a lot of information being cranked out in several departments at Cardinal headquarters on Clark Street. Some percent of that wasn’t being implemented at all or effectively by the manager. They feel Oli will do a better job accepting it and implementing it. Right, Brian?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For some unexplained reason Oli reminds me of Yakov Smirnoff.

“St.Louis…..what a city!” may indeed have been Oli’s first words after first seeing our fair city. When I hear the name “Oli”, I immediately think of the esteemed Oliver Hardy of “Laurel & Hardy” fame. Let us hope our “Oli” exerts the same class, intellect, spunk and fortitude that Oliver Norvell Hardy put on full display in his many years of entertaining millions of Americans.

mspaid
    Participant

Free

Mo is wrong as usual. Marmol is a puppet. They fired Schildt because he dared to disagree with Mo and Junior. So, are they going to hire anybody who is not a yes man? Let me think…No, they are not. Will Mo tell Marmol who to play? Of course, that was one of the problems with Schildt. Marmol will make up the lineup and then email it to Mo for approval then make any changes Mo directs.

Mo is right about one thing. It is up to the front office to give the manager what he needs to win.
    That has been the problem for years. I wish Marmol good luck because I have been a Cardinal fan for fifty-eight years. But I have no confidence of success since he will be implementing the philosophy of Junior and Mo whose baseball acumen I question.

Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

Just wondering how Mo looks at analytics. He signed Carp to an extension way too soon. He had a great half year, but the other half wasn’t very good. Analytics say don’t play him the last couple years. Shildt keeps playing him too much. Who does Mo blame, Shildt for going against the analytics, or himself for giving him the extension? Contracts are gonna play. Traded Fowler, basically paying his entire salary. Luckily was able to trade/(dump) Leake. How often can he blame others for his bad signings?

Oli will eventually be a scapegoat. Whether before or after Girsch is the question Eventually BDW will wake up and have to look at Mo. Though I don’t know with their “Make the wild card an catch lightning in a bottle” philosophy, all you have to be is in the top 1/3 of the league.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years