Press Conference – Marmol named manager

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Press Conference – Marmol named manager

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Looks like they’re going to have a press conference tomorrow morning at 10:00am. Hold onto you hats. Here we go.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Tells me it’s Marmol

bccran
    Participant

Why?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If its naming the manager this fast it has to be an insider. What gets said besides the usual pap may be of interest.

JLaf
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    bccran
    Participant

A total insult to Cardinal Nation. Nothing but a Charlie McCarthy.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I am not insulted. What has Marmol done to you?

bccran
    Participant

He’s a 35 year old guy who has never managed above A ball. Totally unqualified to manage a Major League Baseball team. Nothing but a puppet. Management by computer. Sycophant.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

How will he manage differently than Mike Shildt?

bccran
    Participant

Shildt pushed back on some things.
    Marmol won’t. Total puppet. Will be a scapegoat someday.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

What did Shildt push back on? How do you know that Marmol is a puppet?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The front office might have had a mutiny on their hands if they hadn’t given the job to someone close to Shildt. I don’t know what they’re really up to, but it’s going to be interesting finding out.

bccran
    Participant

I know Mo, and I just lost total respect for him as a baseball executive.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Bad choice. Wish him well but I am not expecting it.

r/Esteemed Rat

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Bc is right. Marmol is a yes man puppet. At 35 he’ll be the youngest manager in the majors and younger than a few of his players, lol.

This doesn’t mean the Cards won’t win but it does mean that Mo is actually managing the team.

This hire is more than a little disturbing.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Marmol or whoever else they might hire will be a puppet because the front office does not want another manager that disagrees with them. They want a yes man who will do as he is told immediately without comment. Marmol will be that puppet.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is a great hire. There’s many reasons why Marmol was hired now, but maybe the biggest was that they were going to lose this guy if they didn’t pull the trigger now. Most of we present Cardinal Nation posters could be long gone from this planet by the time he ends his run as manager of the St. Louis Cardinals.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Will be a scapegoat someday.

This comment speaks to me more than anything else written here. This is more important than the puppet aspect of the hire. Put Marmol in line with Matheny, Budaska, and Shildt I guess when things go awry down the line. Takes the heat off Mo and DeWitt for their screw ups. Mo has irked me for a long time and I find it hard to trust a guy like him who communicates with intentionally cryptic and vague messages. It’s his style and it seems like there’s always a preemptive CYA flavor to it. Maybe I’m wrong and he’s a straight shooter to real people on the job, but I doubt it.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Someone, please tell me why Mike Shildt was let go…what did he not agree with management on? Since Shildt and Marmol were close, they must have philosophical differences too if Marmol is going to be puppet-like Manager some posters know to be the case.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well all things pointing marmol. Seems all coaches coming back. So we are continuing this living on numbers and hope. Having a guy whose really young and never led a team at a high level just means we really don’t have a manager in the dugout anyway. Mo talked about possibly making changes in mid summer, and then fired shildt in October, I wonder when he is going to fire himself.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Seems like a low hanging fruit type move, but he may turn out to be a decent manager. I suspect that we are going to see less veteran preference and more of the young guys playing under this new regime. We will see how that works out.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

If it is Marmol that is just a middle finger to most STl fans, nothing more than a yes man who has zero exp or anything…what a joke this regime has become!

Pork Twain
    Participant

OMG…this is sooooo insulting and they have hurt all six of my feelings. I will need to contact management to see if I can get compensation. Maybe would could do something class action?

Seriously though, I think this is a great move. People saying he is a yes man or a puppet, have no idea if he is and it is insulting to him to say that is the case. Get over yourself.

Marmol Article

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If it is Marmol it could be really good.

He has been an exceptionally fast riser in the organization. That could mean 1) he is a good politician or 2) he has exceptional talent. If the former is the case we have more of Mo running everything. If not, maybe some important changes on how things are being run.

If the Cardinals are making this move to keep him in the orgainzation what will they do to keep him in the future. May even interfere with him less than many feel they interfered with Shildt. Maybe give him more authority in player transactions.

I have been a Shildt supporter and think he not only did a good job but a better job than many on this site felt he did. I hope for the best for him but baseball is full of traditionalist and I think it is hard for them to accept that someone who had not played professional baseball could be a good major league manager. Even hard for the press to accept.

I am normally not a conspiracy theorist but if you have a young talent who you believe will be a superior major league manager and other teams are already sniffing around what are you going to do? Use the conflict with Albert to make a change. I really don’t think they would dump Shildt just to keep Marmol. The sloppy handling of the announcement of the firing hints that mild mannered Mike decided it was time for them to treat him with respect and it got out of hand.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep, I think the analytics crowd won this battle for sure. Mo and the front office are really angling to move more toward the SABR end of things and Shildt probably wasn’t 100% there yet. They likely see Marmol as more data driven and believe that his lineup construction will more fit that approach. This is good news for guys like Dylan Carlson and Edmundo Sosa, and bad news for players like Tommy Edman and Paul Dejong, IMO.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years