Press Conference – Marmol named manager

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Press Conference – Marmol named manager

Viewing 16 posts - 76 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why might Skip come here for the same job he has? He’s a SoCal native and lives with his family in San Diego.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You may think Skip’s job security in San Diego is stronger than it really is. If the Padres were the Cardinals, they would have already hired him as the new manager. But that isn’t how it is going down.

When Jayce Tingler was fired as Padres manager, all the coaches were given the freedom to pursue jobs elsewhere. Depending on the identity of the new manager, Skip may not have a job. They have interviewed a number of experienced MLB managers like Rojas, Guillen and Shildt, guys who would probably want to pick their own bench coach rather than take a holdover from the prior regimes.

But that is just my feeling from afar….

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

ZTR: That reminds me of a remark I once read from Warren Spahn who said he was probably the only guy who played for Stengel both before and after he was a genius.

bccran
    Participant

My guess for bench coach would be Stubby first and Skip second.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why might Skip come here for the same job he has? He’s a SoCal native and lives with his family in San Diego.

https://redbirdrants.com/2021/10/25/cardinals-rumors-st-louis-skip-schumaker-coaching/

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Is Skip not a candidate for the Padres manager’s job?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is Skip not a candidate for the Padres manager’s job?

It is hard to say for sure but from what I have read they are looking for someone with more experience.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good point Brian, I had forgotten that Managers can normally pick their bench coach.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I’d say it’s more than possible his road to a head job might be better in STL than SD however it’s hard to deny the allure of living in Southern California especially if you’re from the area.

I mean he may be a tad turned off my not getting and interview and might want a change of scenery. Also consider some of the ego’s in the SD clubhouse while giving him praise might be another thing he privately doesn’t want to deal with.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Só Will Maddox have full control and final say over pitching changes? If not I think a bench coach with experience in handling pitchers would be helpful

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting perspective, CC. Does a minor league manager’s handling of pitchers count? If not, please be more specific about what experience you would think applies. Would the bench coach need to be a former pitching coach?

Thanks.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

It counts if he was good at it! Light isso depend on the number of years. I would think Major largue levei experience would be more important. Fromer pitching coach or manager? I would say manager would be better. But really not sure

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why would Marmol not have final say over pitching changes? The pitching coach, hitting coach, and bench coach are just consultants and advisors to the manager. If the front office doesn’t think Marmol can handle that duty then why give him the job?

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Yeah I would think Marmol would at least have control over in game decisions guided by statistics and who he has to work with.

14NyquisT
    Participant

It has to be Marmol’s decision…. ultimately he would take the heat if someone else’s decision goes sour. He’s been in the organization long enough for the FO’s knowledge to hire him based on past MiLB decisions.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

You’d have a serious unity of command issue if Marmol doesn’t have final say on pitching changes. Pretty sure that would violate any respectable management approach.

Viewing 16 posts - 76 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years