Ozuna shoulder irritation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Ozuna shoulder irritation

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 215 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sounds like Mo is trying to cover up his own mistake and blame anything bad that happens from here on out all on Ozuna…leaving himself blameless…

It seems that that is Mo’s M.O.

Goold states the Cards were aware of his shoulder, he took a physical and they were “comfortable” with the results. He also noted Ozuna was on a special program this spring in recognition of his shoulder.

This is also on Mozeliak. That he knew about it makes this whole episode even more perplexing. He did what he is inclined to do…. panic. He bundled up some four prospects and told us that this is our power-hitting, gold glove savior. Much the same propaganda he gave us with Fowler the year prior. Result: not so good because now he has to deal with two problems…. his own doing. Mistakes big enough to keep us less than play-off material…. you bet. I wonder if he is “comfortable” with that.

Participant

I thought the signing of Leake was a head scratcher. But that was just the tip of the iceberg MO outdid himself by signing Fowler. I will never understand that contract.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Trying to hold Ozuna “accountable” now is a little late isn’t it? Who was held accountable for trading for damaged goods? The FO knew full well he was hurt and traded for him anyway and now they want Ozuna to look like the bad guy. I won’t describe in detail what I think of that since this a family board.

Participant

Paid - Annual

And we won’t even bring up the Holland-Cecil deals, GScott.

Participant

I didn’t know they knew he was hurt. I honestly don’t know why they acquire some of they guys they do. If they were trying to make the team lousy they couldn’t do a better job than they already are.

Participant

Free

Ozuna had surgery today

Why did he wait?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think it was because it was done by one of the Dodgers doctors, who I suppose didn’t want to do anything until their season was completed.

Participant

Free

So then is he going to be ready for the season or is he now a lost cause for us…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So then is he going to be ready for the season or is he now a lost cause for us…

Did you click the link? Because it gives you the answer right there.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The plan was set by Boras. We knew it was all going to happen, except for the surgery decision.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Goold’s answers in yesterday’s chat concerning Ozuna were not filled with accolades and optimism. Goold feels that the reason Ozuna went off on his own for the off-season is unknown but says it irritated the FO. Management felt that because the shoulder was a major concern it would have been more prudent to “rehab” in Jupiter where the team could monitor his training.

Goold also stated that the Cards have little or no control over how a player spends his off-season. So Mozeliak plans a trip to the Dom.Rep. to check on Ozuna’s improvement. This just fits into the new team culture of the tail wagging the dog. It has been seen with Fowler as management has bent over backwards to coddle to Fowler’s every concern. It has been seen regarding Molina calling the shots concerning everything “catching” on the team. Most recently, the club signed on TCruz (Yadi’s past caddy) as a coach. And then there’s Cecil wasting a roster spot.

Forcing a roster spot and playing time given to players that were obviously mistakes but they were acquired for big bucks, so they play. Poor management.

To me, it appears that this type of approach could very well be a factor in demoralizing and fracturing the team. Its sets a poor example for others and a worse precedence.

There was a question about the team getting a left-handed starter just to have a lefty in the rotation.
    Goold answered that MLB teams don’t operate that way… the best pitchers start. Why doesn’t that apply to non-pitchers as well? Total hypocrisy. The guys upstairs say that they want to win, you judge if they truly mean it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mo is going to the DR for the first high school graduation class at the academy. He will look in on Ozuna while there. Boras is a factor, too, in the context of how agents can affect client/player behavior.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I do not like the lack of communication Ozuna, and/or Boras seem to have with the Cardinals. And I am surprised the issue wasn’t discovered at the time of the trade when a physical was done. Or maybe it was discovered, but not disclosed? Unless he has a monster year, I would slap a qualifying offer on him, and let him walk. Hopefully one of the young outfielders are ready and can play right field. Move Fowler to left, assuming he is still a starter in 2020.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27, I sense some rumblings in that general direction.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I had the feeling last season that Ozuna was playing for Boras, not the Cardinals’ organization. Ozuna probably should have DL’d for awhile. But any time on the DL would have negatively affected the negotiations for 2020. It was the same kind of thing that’s been going on this offseason. Its as if Boras and Ozuna don’t want the Cardinals to know too much.

Participant

14Nyquist:

The Front office would like to win like all teams but the difference for the Cardinals is that they don’t care if they lose. They’ll draw 3.4 million every year so why should they spend. They can start a slug like Fowler in right field and still draw 3.4. Even if they had done nothing this off-season I doubt if attendance would have fallen to even 3.2. Let’s say it did and they lost 200,000 ticket sales. If each person spends 100.00 dollars per game for ticket, food, souvenirs taht’s 20,000,000. Why should they spend 35 million on Harper or anyone. Why would they spend 35 million to save 20? So before anyone starts an Arenado thread or a Trout thread…please don’t. There is no way Junior will EVER enter into a ten year agreement for 300 million…not EVER going to happen in this Universe or any other. They’ll pick up guys for one or two years every off-season then cross their fingers and hope for a miracle. But a long term deal for a superstar? Not a chance so forget it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What do you call the Stanton trade, Nate?

Participant

Paid - Annual

What constitutes a ‘long-term deal’ given the apparent return to some semblance of fiscal sanity in free agency? I have a feeling that if the organizations are not spending the big money they get, the fans will start refusing to give them the big money to spend. Then, tickets prices will start coming down to where it doesn’t cost $100. a person to go to a baseball game.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

$100 a person? Not when we go. Not even close.

Participant

Paid - Annual

You’re right. I just used somebody else’s number. We don’t spend that much, either. And I don’t buy any 10 dollar beers. But I still think tickets prices for a baseball game should be in the $10.-$25. range. That’s an arbitrary number, too. But to me it makes sense. Its definitely more family friendly. All that has to happen is for teams to stop throwing boatloads of money at free agents, and for fans to start demanding lower prices.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You might be interested in this article.

2018 Cost Increase to Attend Cardinals Game Below MLB Average

Participant

Paid - Annual

Speaking of Ozuna apparently the team asked him to do his rehab in Florida this winter so they could monitor it. He declined so I guess Mo is taking a trip to check up on him. Not a good sign. This is another reason why it makes sense to hold onto JMart.

Participant

It is not throwing “boatloads” of money that’s driving the prices up. The owners are making “boatloads” of revenue. In 2012 despite record revenues that % going to players decreased and has since then except 2015. For 2018 record revenues translated into the largest drop for players since 2012. I am not defending the “greedy” players nor do I think long-term contracts are smart but blaming the player’s salaries only is a bit disingenuous. Maybe shorter but higher annual value contracts may help.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Again, Mo is going to the Dominican for the Cardinals academy’s first high school class graduation. While there, he is going to visit Ozuna. Yes, the team preferred Ozuna rehab in Jupiter, but they cannot force him to do that.

NJ, if the Players did not negotiate into their labor agreement a sliding scale based on revenues, shame on them. They signed an agreement they decided later on that they do not like. Whose fault is that?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 215 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years