Ozuna shoulder irritation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Ozuna shoulder irritation

This topic contains 214 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by bicyclemike bicyclemike 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 215 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If I thought Ozuna was one of our three best OF’s I would say be patient and ride it out but I honestly don’t think he is. I think O”Neill and JMart both are as good or better so let’s go ahead and play them and get on with it. If Ozuna comes back healthy later in the season and can win his spot back then good for him but until then let’s put the best players on the field.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you want to put the best players on the field there is room for both O’Neill and JoMartinez and they should be playing.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Clearly washed up. Note that is “beginning” of the 2017 season, which later became his best year.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I will move the Ozuna discussion from the Dodgers 4-8-19 game thread to here.

To summarize I posed the idea of removing Ozuna and Fowler from the everyday lineup (actually from the roster) and replacing them with O’Neill and JMart.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Ozuna wants to prove me wrong by hitting a HR every other day I am all for it but I remain skeptical. He has never shown the consistency here that he had in Miami. Again, I would be glad to be proven wrong but I suspect O’Neill or JMart could put up the exact same name numbers as Ozuna or better if they played everyday, and at a fraction of the cost.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hard hit HR, nobody on = 1 run. I’d rather see a ball squeaking over the fence with two on =3 runs. Hard hit…. what does even mean? Is there a point to posting it? It might excite some fans. I guess it makes for good highlight shots.

A single off a 99.3 mph pitch… yeah, so? A double on a Texas-leaguer is better. Starcast = meaningless.

Please don’t tell me about some meaning that the hitter is somehow better with high starcast #s if he is batting sub .200. This is like the Dave Kingman Syndrome.

Put the most productive players on the field and not the ones starcast would have you believe are better.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Starcast = meaningless

i disagree. There is a strong relationship (correlation) between the speed off the bat (exit velocity) and the likelihood of a batted ball becoming a base hit. If you want to see a graph and become a believer, I will find you one.

Secondly, hitting fast fastballs is a rare skill, a good one for a batter to have, associated with higher batting average.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When you have already made up your mind, data can be a meaningless irritation.

Ozuna has a long way to go still, but is not the lost cause some are asserting. For those who live and die by small sample sizes, please take a look at Jose Martinez’ current stats and get back to me with why you believe he should be starting. .150/.150/.200/.350 while often swinging wildly. It is the “backup quarterback syndrome” in spades.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I get that so cal. I can tell from my naked eye if a ball is hit hard. I was referring to hard hit home runs. Hitting a over the fence still suffices.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I am convinced Ozuna’s shoulder is not affecting his hitting much (unless there are good days and bad days with the shoulder). His throwing ability is another issue.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Despite his slow start I would make the argument that JMart has been the best hitter on the team for the last two years (2017 & 18) so there is that. And as a friend of mine likes to say JMart has a lot of “give a da**”, which is more than I can say for Ozuna or at least that is the impression he gives.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Avatar gscottar.
    atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

I entirely agree with the idea that exit velocity is a good indicator. But cherry-picking a tiny sample of exit velo is a red flag.

This team needs Ozuna to be the guy he was in his career year, or something close to it. I’m fine with patience with him. But he needs to really hit well to make up for his defense.

If O’Neill gets healthy and starts hitting, though, he needs to go to RF and put Fowler on the bench (or waiver wire) – not LF. Ozuna’s defense is far less of an impediment when he is competing with Martinez. And I really like what Martinez can do off of the bench.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

So Ozuna embarrases himself with his mouth this morning saying his arm is 55% after saying earlier it was 80%. No matter what if it is 55% why would you let other teams know that?

The he goes out and embarrasses himself with his body at night.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have no idea how this guy won a gold glove in Miami. I was complaining the other day about his offense being so inconsistent but at least his defense is consistently bad. We can always count on that.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

He bought it at Walmart.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On that terribly awkward catch attempt, I wondered if he was trying to make a spectacular play instead of just catching the ball, maybe trying to do too much because of all the criticism. He isn’t a rookie and has proven in the past he can play a credible left field at least. This seemed mental, not physical. It was curious to me.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Ozuna was not the only one who thought that ball was going out. Dave Roberts said he also thought it was going the distance. No doubt he overplayed the distance but nobody is perfect and had he not done the wall climbing show it would have just been scored as a fielding error (was it anyway?). I admit that when Marcel comes up to bat I don’t get a lot of confidence but he does have his surprises. One of the more interesting observations this season will be to see if he gets an extension. Based on his play to date (so early in the season) I will say that any extension will depend on the showing of the muscle man or maybe JMart. But there could also be enough talent in the minors (read Dylan Carlson) to hold off on an extension until the season is over. It will be interesting to see what Ozuna could bring as a free agent.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Unless he reincarnates his 2017 self I would be shocked if he got an extension. In my mind the real question is will he get a QO?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Brian, I too had that thought of Ozuna wanting to make a highlight reel play. Whether that is because he has been feeling fan pressure in STL or just the Sportscenter mindset zI am unclear.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In the last six-plus games, Ozuna has four home runs and nine RBI. Had the manager been as impatient as some fans, Ozuna would have been riding the bench instead…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m glad to see Ozuna hit some bombs but I still maintain that O’Neill and JMart could put up the same numbers as Ozuna if they got to play everyday, except for $11M cheaper.

The Cardinals pride themselves on being financially prudent and frugal. I am trying to save them some money here.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The homeruns are nice but his defensive antics give me a brain and nerve irritation.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 215 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years