Ozuna shoulder irritation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Ozuna shoulder irritation

This topic contains 214 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by bicyclemike bicyclemike 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 215 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That would be a bit much, but it’s also a huge exaggeration compared to what the Brewers actually gave up.

Pre 2018 prospect rankings (per Fangraphs):

Lewis Brinson 13
    Monte Harrison 52
    Isan Diaz 87
    Jordan Yamamoto NR (22nd on Miami rankings)

Alex Reyes 16
    Tyler O’Neill 61
    Jack Flaherty 65
    Carson Kelly 85
    Hudson NR (13th in STL rankings)
    Hicks NR (11th in STL rankings)

Sure, it seems like a “huge exaggeration” now that the Cards’ prospects are playing well in the Show, but it doesn’t reflect the reality of the way the players were valued at the time of the trade. The Marlins got 3 top 100 position player prospects in the deal, and as position players are always more costly than pitchers, you could make an argument that Flaherty would be a bit too light as the best player in the deal compared to Brinson.

Even if you add value to the Cards’ guys to reflect proximity to the majors, *maybe* that changes the last guy to someone more like Zac Gallen.

If you hybridize who they actually did trade for Ozuna, you’d have a deal like Flaherty, Kelly, Alcantara and Gallen. Like you said, you’ve got to give a lot to get much back.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

I don’t know about that. Sierra and Mercado were traded. Now, with Ozuna ailing, Pham traded, O’Neill has something going on, we’re down to playing a guy with a bad wing, Bader and JoMartinez who really has no business being there.

Not only that but the F.O. has traded for a 31 y.o. starter with some good creds but hasn’t pitched well this season (Holland comes to mind). WTF.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

To those who complained about the Front Office, I’m glad more have been wakened to see what the poor management has done to this team. Little foresight, poor vetting, poor judgment in giving long-term contracts no prudence whatsoever, and they need to be held accountable!

DeWitt should be looking at this team and be wondering what happened. Mr. owner was playing around with that ballpark village thingy while Girsch and Mozeliak wasted a lot of his money and are trying to cover it up. Playing Ozuna, playing a .175 overpaid acquisition and now using Schlitz as their puppet, and will blame another manager for theit short-comings.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Like I said, Mo and his other FO cronies will run the team into the ground…

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

It seems that they already have.

NJ315
    Participant

O’Neill to DL. Adolis Garcia up.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, I missed that trade for the 31-year old. Who did the Cards give up for him?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo knew all along that the Cards would need a proven LF. So that’s why he got Adams… ?

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

He irritated that arm on a throw that he shouldn’t have made in the first place. He had no chance at home, and he allowed the other runner to reach second on the throw, which was a weak one. Major league outfielders should know which base to throw to.

Poncedeleon goes down? He has pitched well enough to be a rotation regular.

MagnoliaCardFan
    Participant

Free

Poncedeleon going down, instead of Weaver? I think there’s more to this than meets the eye. Could get down to remaining options. IMO, Poncedeleon has a higher probability of being a Cardinal a year from now than Weaver.

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Re Ponce going down – St Louis has two days off in the upcoming week – Thursday and Monday. They can go with four starters until late next week which is…Sept 1st.

And as Brian said in his Take on the Trade, Memphis badly needs a starter to anchor that team for now. Optioning him to Memphis puts him in line to start game three of the four-game series against second-place Nashville and push Lyons back to game four, if needed.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I think Ponce is better suited for a late inning bullpen arm than starter. That;s just me though.

Could be they didn’t need a starter due to the day off or maybe the little tantrum he threw last night made the move that much easier to make. I like him, I like his fire but there might be something of a learning tool for the guy.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Also, supposedly they detected a flaw in Weaver’s mechanics, that has been corrected. So the thought may be that he will be better from here on out. Although he was not particularly effective in the second game of the Dodger series, he did not walk anyone.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Scott Boras says that Ozuna’s injury is “nothing serious” and he should be ready to go by September 1. I hope this is the case but what if it isn’t? Do the Cardinals feel comfortable going with O’Neill/Munoz in LF the rest of the year or do we look elsewhere before August 31? Andrew McCutchen has cleared waivers fyi…

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Dr. Boras was the same guy who pronounced Holland ready for MLB action after throwing to some kids this spring at Boras’ workout facility.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Exactly!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Sounds like Mo is trying to cover up his own mistake and blame anything bad that happens from here on out all on Ozuna…leaving himself blameless…

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Really? I took it as holding Ozuna’s feet to the fire to take his readiness for next season seriously. Who couldn’t see his shoulder wasn’t right all season?

It was reported recently that Ozuna turned down using the Cards medical/training team for the off-season and is using Boras people instead, which is his right. That also means the Cardinals will not be supervising whatever his 2019 readiness plan is.

So all those who were angry the Cards didn’t make Ozuna have surgery, a team can’t do that. While they have a contract for his employment, it is still his body.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

I was more upset that didn’t we know that he had a problem with his shoulder and traded for him anyway, if so then it is Mo’s problem…

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That certainly doesn’t paint Ozuna in a positive light, and doesn’t make it look like there’s much chance of an Ozuna resigning, even if he has a good season next year.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Goold states the Cards were aware of his shoulder, he took a physical and they were “comfortable” with the results. He also noted Ozuna was on a special program this spring in recognition of his shoulder. So where did you hear they did not know about it?

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/how-much-did-cards-know-about-ozuna-s-bum-shoulder/article_e56cace6-21a3-51cb-b7b6-8954ebd64959.html

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

If I were his agent, I would advise him to do the same thing.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 215 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years