Off Season Activities (all teams)

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Off Season Activities (all teams)

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Right. But my point is that the Cardinals could not have accomplished the same trades because I would guess that San Diego’s number 11-16 prospects are more comparable to the top 10 prospects in the Cardinals system you cited.

That’s a fair point. I’d also note that Torres, Hence, Oviedo, Rondon, Nunez, Fletcher and Locey are all rated between 9-20 on the MLB pipeline list. It would be interesting to see what a trade of any four of them could bring back.

Perhaps the Cubs were enthralled with the guys they got on the International market before San Diego signed them away. Hard to know.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Have to disagree BW, the SDP 11-16 prospects don’t break into our top 10 by FV (mlb pipeline).

Diego had 8 prospects FV 50 or better, STL has 9 FV 50 or better. SDP top 5 is just better.

By pipeline we have a FV 50 from 4 through 10 (edit: 4 through 9). The SDP 11-16 traded are all FV 45

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So is San Diego considered small market, mid market, or large market? Whatever they are they are spending a heck of a lot of money. Cot’s has them at $158M right now, which is 4th in all of MLB.

The Cardinals are currently 13th with $126M.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by Avatargscottar.
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

San Diego is similar to St Louis overall. The Cards get better fan support but the TV deals are somewhat similar, considering the Pads signed theirs well before.

Participant

Paid - Annual

In 2019 the Cardinals were 2nd in attendance with 3,480,393.
    The Padres were 15th with 2,396,399.
    That is a pretty big difference.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

True, but the payrolls are reflective of such things. No doubt this is a “go for it” move while there’s an exciting young core of players for San Diego to win with. They’re not a big market, probably smaller than St Louis but within the smallest in the league. They get the comp picks every year.

2020-StL 70m, SD 69m
    2019-StL 158m, SD 70m
    2018-StL 161m, SD 96m
    2017-StL 152m, SD 70m

Those numbers may not be perfect as it was a quick search, but still it would show that St Louis spent a lot more on payroll over the last 4 years (as much as $236m).

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep, I just think it is interesting to see a smallish mid market team this aggressive. They clearly feel this is their chance to go big. Of course they have to deal with the machine like Dodgers, which is no easy task.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj said:

Have to disagree BW, the SDP 11-16 prospects don’t break into our top 10 by FV (mlb pipeline).

Diego had 8 prospects FV 50 or better, STL has 9 FV 50 or better. SDP top 5 is just better.

By pipeline we have a FV 50 from 4 through 10 (edit: 4 through 9). The SDP 11-16 traded are all FV 45

Thank you for that analysis. Something seems off to me, though – not in your information shared, but in the underlying ranking process. If the two systems are comparable except for the top five prospects, SD’s top five must be really, really better than the Cardinals top 5, three of whom are in the national top 100. I say this because we are talking about a huge gap between the #2 system vs. the #15. Something doesn’t register…

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think we could easily match the players Diego sent for Darvish. What Stl is not willing to do is take on salary like the Padres did. Probably very few teams were willing, so the Cubs accept four FV 45’s and call it best we could do.

On the 2 vs 15 team rankings disparity, you’d know better than I. Are the farm systems in the top half of teams so tight that top 100 talent is the deciding factor? I could understand that if true.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Why Not? Keep writing those checks.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The SDP are currently 5mil over last seasons opening day payroll, +3.4%
    cots

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Padres look ready for a run, but just a reminder that it has been a long and painful path to get there. In the last 10 years, 2020 was their first and only season with a non-losing record – and most years, they weren’t even close to .500. They also went 13 years without a playoff appearance.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

jj favorite Casali signs with the Giants, 1 year and $1.5M.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/giants-sign-curt-casali.html

Participant

Free

But at least the Padres are trying. They are doing that much.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

But at least the Padres are trying. They are doing that much

When the perfect storm came along, sure. Since the Padres last won a playoff game before this past year, the Cardinals:

Won the NL Central 5 times (6 if you include the year the Cards beat the Padres)
    Made the playoffs 9 times
    Won 11 playoff series
    Won 3 NL pennants
    Won 2 World Series

Had 1 losing season (2007)

So tell me, who tried harder? If the Cards sit on their pile of cash after next year, then there’s a case to be made that they aren’t trying, but that’s another year off.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

TEX and TBR complete the Nate Lowe trade. Sim says TBR sent 18.0, with TEX sending 17.9, in the six player trade.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

DET signs Robbie Grossman, 2/10mil w/incentives – MLBTR

Participant

Free

Mr. Shill:

What have they done lately? I’m only iterested in what they have done in the last few months. I don’t need to hear how they’ve won 9,000 games since the Dewitts took over. When are they going to get serious. Now, signing Goldschmidt was a good move but that alone is not getting serious. After Goldschmidt you have to also add Harper and another top flight hitter. They add one player and he is supposed to win the WS. They did it with Heyward, they did it with Fowler, they did it with Ozuna and they did it with Goldscmidt. They need to go to 200 million to win the WS. Then they are trying.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mopey mspaid:

Looks like only the Dodgers and Yankees are trying this year. Good call.

Participant

Free

stlcard25

If you throw in San Diego then okay. But with no gate receipts, there’s nothing to do for small market teams. Now, if they are hesitant after 2021 then I’d be concerned that they are content to be mediocre. Nice nickname by the way and if and when they get serious in the off-season in some distant year, I won’t be mopey anymore.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Lindor and Carrasco to the Mets for some prospects. Deal just announced awhile ago. Mets must mean business in 2021. Can they catch the Braves?

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Schwarber looks like he is going to get more than he was projected to earn in arbitration.

Participant

Paid - Annual

How loaded down a team is with big long term contracts might have more to do with this off season’s moves than the size of their market.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Mets basically switched Cano’s salary for Lindor’s. That is a good trade.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Mets basically switched Cano’s salary for Lindor’s. That is a good trade.

And some good fortune that the big salary was negated by such a dumb decision. Although the Mets will still have two more years of paying Cano $24M a year after next year. That’s why they’re probably no slam dunk to sign Lindor and still be able to keep a guy like Conforto, who will probably be a $20M+ a year guy.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years