Off Season Activities (all teams)

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Off Season Activities (all teams)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Might be a good idea to start a thread that highlights activities of all the other teams this off season. Especially the FA signings.

Today, the White Sox signed Adam Eaton to a 1 year deal for $7 million. Plus a 2022 team option for $8.5 million.

Scratch one of the FA outfielders off the list.

bccran
    Participant

DH/1B Carlos Santana signs with the Royals. 2 years, $17 million.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

28 year old reliever, Matthew Robert Wisler, inks a one year $1.15 million deal with San Francisco’s Giants….. pending the always nail biting physical.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The White Sox, Royals, and Angels have all been aggressive so far. Not every team is curled up in a ball hiding in the corner.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Mets are close to signing James McCann. That’s one less suitor for Realmuto.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/12/mets-sign-james-mccann.html

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And one less suitor for Yadi.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

After the Lance Lynn and Adam Eaton acquisitions, the CWS are currently at 88% of their 2020 opening day payroll.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Rule 5 draft was held today. The Cards neither took nor lost anyone in the MLB portion of the draft.

In the minors portion, the Cards took LHP Garrett Williams from the Angels, and lost RHP Jordan Brink and Ronnie Williams to the Rays and Giants, respectively.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-rule-5-draft-results

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So much for Nashville.

bccran
    Participant

Williams is a 26 year old LHP – former Oklahoma State Cowboy. Had a decent season for the AA Richmond Flying Squirrels in

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

TBR trade Nate Lowe to TEX

simulator says:

TBR sends
    17.7 Nate Lowe
    00.2 Jake Guenther
    00.0 PTBNL
    ——

TEX sends
    11.0 Heriberto Hernandez
    05.4 Osleivis Basabe
    01.5 Alexander Ovalles
    —–

I’m starting to think this simulator is close. The Lance Lynn to CWS trade was within 0.8

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

jj, I’m intrigued. Maybe you or someone provided the context in another thread, but please point me to the “simulator” you mentioned.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry I’m not savvy enough to link Euro, but you could google baseballtradevalues.com

disclaimer: It’s just a fun toy to play around with, FWIW

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As far as that simulator goes, it doesn’t seem to do a bad job, but there are some players that it’s majorly off on. Paul Dejong, for example. They did recently bump him from 4M surplus value to 15.1, which seems absurd for a guy who’s been worth 2-4 WAR per season at shortstop. His contract is 3 years and $19.5M at this point with two options. They literally project him to be worth 4 total WAR in the next three years? Even if you tack on the two options at $27.5M that’s a 5 year, $47M deal (essentially they project 7 WAR over 5 years then) so I don’t get where their math is coming from there.

But for prospects and players with one year left, maybe two I think it probably does a nice job.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

After the Lance Lynn trade, TEX is currently at 47% of their 2020 opening day payroll (153.1mil).

Gone from the 2020 roster are Choo, Kluber, Lynn, Minor, Danny Santana, Chavez, Mathis; and finally wore Prince Fielder (9mil) off the budget.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

After CIN traded Raisel Iglesias to the LAA, the Reds are currently at 80% (117.5mil) of their 2020 opening day payroll (147mil).

After acquiring both Raisel and Jose Iglesias, the LAA are currently at 87% (160.9mil) of their 2020 opening day payroll (184mil).

Art Moreno: Angels’ payroll “Not Going Down” in 2021 — MLBTR

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Thanks for the info, jj & stlcard.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

LAD and MIL finalize the Corey Knebel for Leo Crawford trade. Simulator has both at 0.6

Knebel has an estimated 5.25mil final arb season salary, bringing the LAD current opening day payroll to 189.4mil, 85% of their 2020 opening day budget of 222mil

Leo Crawford as a minor leaguer currently has no impact on the MIL budget. Brewers are currently at 74.5mil, 73% of their 2020 opening day payroll of 102.5mil

bccran
    Participant

Dahl to the Rangers for $3 million per year.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

James McCann’s deal is finalized pending a physical. Looks like 4 years and just over $40M. That means Yadi is probably around a $7-8M AAV player on the market.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/12/mets-close-to-signing-james-mccann.html

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

McCann’s AAV looks about right but I am a bit surprised with him getting four years.

I agree with your assessment of Yadi’s market AAV. The question is will the Cardinals give him the ill-advised “legacy player boost” or will Yadi continue to be offended by the “ridiculous” offers coming his way.

bccran
    Participant

Was that statement from Yadi, or someone in his camp?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d expect Yadi to still be in the 2/20mil range. He’ll have too many suitors. If you convert McCann to a two yr deal, like Yadi wants, his AAV is higher than the 10mil he got on four years.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d expect Yadi to still be in the 2/20mil range. He’ll have too many suitors

I’m not sure he’s got nearly so many suitors as some think. The Yankees aren’t going to cut Sanchez so will they offer Molina 100+ games a year? The Mets signed McCann. The Braves, maybe. People think the Angels, but are the Angels really a contender? I can’t see Yadi playing out the string on a team that wins 70-75 games. So you’ve got a handful of teams that may be willing to spend and are good enough to make the playoffs (which is why a team like the Rangers won’t work). I think you’ll see him down to the Cardinals and maybe one or two teams and will sign for <$10M per year.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.