Off Season Activities (all teams)

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Off Season Activities (all teams)

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

FA catchers: I’m guessing the NYM signed McCann to avoid Realmuto’s expensive long term commitment. They have their catcher and haven’t unloaded half their magazine. I think the same will work in Yadi’s favor, that there will be more suitors in the 10mil AAV range, who also have other needs to fill.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian,
    Why would the Cards release their 2019 pitcher of the year in the Dominican Luis Andujar?
    ERA and the fact he was their POY screams keep him, no?

Participant

Paid - Three Months

DM, I was surprised they released Luis Andujar also but he is a second baseman. He hit .321 and had a OPS of .843 in 2019. He will be 21 in January but still thought he deserved a look in the GCL.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

David Martin asked:

Why would the Cards release their 2019 pitcher of the year in the Dominican Luis Andujar?
    ERA and the fact he was their POY screams keep him, no?

I need to clear up a couple of misconceptions. Luis Garcia’s award was given by us, not the Cardinals organization. It was based off stats since we have no eyes on the DSL teams. The Cardinals know a lot more about the potential of their overseas players than we do.

Second, it was RELIEVER of the Year, not Pitcher of the Year. While he had a very good season in 2019, from a prospect perspective, a DSL reliever who signed in 2017 and turns 20 years of age in February is not likely to reach St. Louis one day. Playing the percentages is what happens behind the scenes.

As I tried to show in the article, fewer roster spots is going to mean earlier releases in some cases.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Was that statement from Yadi, or someone in his camp?

What difference does it make? Even if the statement was from his brother or agent I haven’t seen any kind of retraction from Yadi.

Participant

Paid - Annual

thanks Brian.
    your website remains AWESOME

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

I was listening to MLB Radio this morning while driving to work. Steve Phillips and Jim Bowden both absolutely roasted the Rockies for non-tendering Dahl and getting nothing in return. They think the Rangers got a steal at $3M.

Participant

Paid - Annual

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is a good signing for TEX, hope it works out. At least COL didn’t have to pay Dahl to go away (Wong).

Teams just walked away from dozens of healthy players for nothing in return, wouldn’t you agree?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pretty amusing that two fired GMs are ragging on one who is still employed…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Teams just walked away from dozens of healthy players for nothing in return, wouldn’t you agree?

Yes it is very strange. I would hope they exhausted all options on a trade before just giving up.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d say the flood of players at the deadline confirms your suspicion.

Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They also mention the Blue Jays. Are the Jays not interested in anyone who’s a free agent? Haha

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

KCR adds Holland, currently at 93% of their 2020 opening day payroll.
    BOS adds Renfro, currently at 80% ………………”………..

Participant

Paid - Annual

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

SP DeSclafini signs with SFG at 1/6mil coming off of a terrible 2020 (66 era+).
    Over the last 3 seasons DeSclafini is a 97 era+ over 315 IP

How does that affect Wainwrights market?
    2020 137 era+, 105 era+ last three seasons over 277 IP

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How does one factor in the reality that DeSclafani is nine years younger?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d say DeSclafini’s age helps his market value today, especially if Frisco is expecting a longer season than 60 games. Of course Anthony has to get back on track and pitch well, to earn the IP and utilize said age.

Adam did very good over 10 starts last season but I do wonder how he holds up over (edit-possibly) 20 or 25 GS next season.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

Adam has sort of established his own value through the last two deals he has signed. He is just being the consummate teammate by allowing them to use his roster spot.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hoping that is a tongue in cheek comment, Nigel.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

I am somewhat serious. Adam has a family who would be seriously impacted by a move. Adam will re-sign, and the amount will be reasonable based on his willingness to allow circumstances to dictate the terms and totals of his last two deals.
    He wants to have the best possible roster around him, and rushing the process to ensure personal financial security has not been his priority up to this point.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I also think that while Waino is obviously still wanting to make money, he’s indicated that his baseball career may be more funding his philanthropic ventures at this point than simply about building his bank account.

Yadi may or may not have similar things in mind, but he’s definitely shown that his contract offers are a sign of respect or disrespect in his mind lately.

Participant

Paid - Annual

What are the chances anybody throws money at Braun?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years