Off Season Activities (all teams)

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Off Season Activities (all teams)

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would be surprised if he got more than a one year deal, probably in the $5M-$8M range. His market may develop more once the DH is decided.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jose Ureña, who was talked about as an option here at one point, signed with Detroit. 1 year, $3.25M

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/12/tigers-jose-urena-agree-to-deal.html

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    bccran
    Participant

Exactly the type of trade the Cards should make. See, it can be done. And stay close to budget.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pirates fleece the Nats in this transaction. Eddy Yean is going to be something special.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Whether the Cards logo has anything to do with them being actually involved or not, we know that Kim only has a week or so to sign. I hope the Cards are one of the teams involved and if it’s a similar $$ amount, there may be a good chance to sign if KK Kim, Oh and others have given Ha Seong Kim a good review of the place.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not sure who this guy is exactly, but they claim that the Cards are in on him.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Padres going for it.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rays fans are pretty upset about the deal. I’ve found hardly a peep from a spin through Padres fan sites early this morning, which is odd. Perhaps they’ll wake up soon.

Still, that’s a large haul for the Rays, albeit one with a lot of risk. The Cards system is nowhere near the Padres in overall talent, but this would be something like trading Liberatore, Knizner, Herrera and Masyn Winn for Snell. For an already ace lefty, that’s a risk you might want to take.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would be concerned if I am the Padres. Dealing with the Rays is a big gamble. Snell will probably have the worst year of his career while the four prospects will all become MLB All Stars.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

AJ Preller is trying to become the new Jerry Dipoto.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

San Diego is probably the best team of the interested group, but also offers the least guaranteed playing time. He’s played little or no 2B, so it seems odd that they’d go that route. I’ll predict now that San Diego is not where he ends up.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Upper 20s would be a very reasonable deal for a guy like this. Still don’t understand why the Padres would be the favorite, with only 2B open. Given the terrible market for 2B this year, you’d think a player would shy away from committing that long at 2B. No way he unseats Tatis Jr or Machado in San Diego. Sherman may be right or his source may be misinformed. We will see.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like the rumors are true. I still can’t understand how the fit works unless he got way more money in San Diego. The rich get richer.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe the Cubs are getting Tatis or Machado back from the Pads? o)

No, they are probably going to move Croneworth to the OF.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No, they are probably going to move Croneworth to the OF.

Which is fine for Cronenworth and probably fine for the team, but is career salary suicide for Kim. A 4 WAR 2B like Wong will be lucky to get a 2-3 year, $10M AAV deal at age 30. A 4 WAR SS like Baez, Story or Correa will probably get 2-2.5 times that AAV and 2-3 more years after next year.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Within the last 24 hours the Padres have obtained Snell and Kim and appear to be close in getting Darvish. That is a combined $130M in salary obligations over the life of the contracts, not counting Kim’s release fee.

So much for covid-related revenue concerns.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we estimate H-S Kim at 7.5mil AAV, the current SDP budget sits at 147.3mil (including Snell), down barely (97%) from their 151.5mil 2020 opening day payroll.

They could backload H-S Kim in a 40% / 60 / 80 / 100% arb scale over 4 seasons if the want to add more talent this offseason? TBD.

I can’t remember if the SDP were one of the teams rumored as in on Yadi or not. Wonder if the will try to trade one of Pham or Will Meyers?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Snell to SDP

Simulator says Diego overpaid by 8.0mil in players sent. Also determines TBR received 79% of their trade package back in Patino.
    ————
    Padres close to acquiring Darvish in trade – MLBTR

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can’t remember if the SDP were one of the teams rumored as in on Yadi or not. Wonder if the will try to trade one of Pham or Will Meyers?

I would think that they wouldn’t go for Yadi since they are planning to get one of Caratini or Contreras in the Darvish trade.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agree, if the SDP land a catcher in trade. Found the article where Yadi HAD named the Padres as a possible suitor. If he’s chasing a ring that would have been a good landing spot.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pretty brilliant trading by Preller, really. It may not work out (Clevinger already had the major injury) but not for lack of trying. And they kept most of their best young talents. Imagine Mo acquiring three high end players while keeping at least 4 of Carlson, Gorman, Liberatore, Thompson, Oviedo and Herrera?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25 wondered:

Imagine Mo acquiring three high end players while keeping at least 4 of Carlson, Gorman, Liberatore, Thompson, Oviedo and Herrera?

There is a not-so-slight difference in depth of talent. The Padres’ farm system had been ranked second in baseball coming into 2020 by five national raters. The Cardinals averaged 15th.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is a not-so-slight difference in depth of talent. The Padres’ farm system had been ranked second in baseball coming into 2020 by five national raters. The Cardinals averaged 15th.

Absolutely the Padres have a better rated system. Still, the point was that they managed to acquire these guys from that depth rather than from their top players. That’s impressive.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Right. But my point is that the Cardinals could not have accomplished the same trades because I would guess that San Diego’s number 11-16 prospects are more comparable to the top 10 prospects in the Cardinals system you cited.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.