Minor league salaries

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league salaries

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 310 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It would have been even classier if they would have been first. At this point, the leaders have shown their hand and others may be shamed into following. But progress would be progress.

Participant

Free

I think Toronto did it last season but it wasn’t at the rates announced recently. But it was a pay raise nonetheless. (Note to grammar police – I am not sure about that last word. 20 lashes with a wet noodle if it is wrong to cojoin three words….LOL)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I just saw this and it seems appropriate… 😉

Participant

Free

Nonetheless is a word. You win a toaster!

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

So, they’re using the player’s names and likeness but the players aren’t receiving a penny from the deal. Wow. Even the NCAA had to stop doing this because potential lawsuits from their “student”-athletes.

(For the older people reading this, MLB The Show is a video game played on gaming systems like Playstation and XBox)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The bottom line is the same. Minor leaguers have no representation so they get taken advantage of. In this example, the video game makers profit.

Participant

Free

The bottom line is the same. Minor leaguers have no representation so they get taken advantage of. In this example, the video game makers profit.

I don’t think they need a union to win this lawsuit. NCAA players didn’t have one. Their bigger issue is that they weren’t allowed to be paid. MiLBers don’t have that issue.

Now, those guys need to cough up some of their $300 a week and get themselves a high-powered attorney!

Participant

Free

ATS if you read the article all MiLB players sign a contract that basically strips them of their rights. They sign away their likeness and names so I don’t see how a lawsuit will help them. The only thing that will help them is a union where they can stop this.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ATS if you read the article all MiLB players sign a contract that basically strips them of their rights. They sign away their likeness and names so I don’t see how a lawsuit will help them. The only thing that will help them is a union where they can stop this.

Right. While I’m sympathetic to their cause, in this case their status as paid professionals does leave them no real room to bargain.

Could minor leaguers theoretically sign endorsement deals? It would seem like it.

Participant

Free

They signed contracts for how much they got paid, too, but yet the class action lawsuit(s?) live on.

For that specific term, it can be declared a contract of adhesion, and throw it out.

NCAA players signed similar things, and yet they won their lawsuit for the exact same thing. The difference is that NCAA players names and numbers were a much bigger part of the game than are minor leaguers in an MLB game. They can go back to putting random names and numbers, and game rev would hardly change.

Participant

Free

ATS you’re gonna have to show me a scholarship contract the NCAA players signed that said the NCAA, etc. can use their names, faces, etc. for marketing purposes and the players get zero.

Participant

Free

Here is an article from right after the lawsuit they won.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-ncaa-waivers-met-20150326-story.html

And here is the relevant passage. I don’t have time to find actual documents, but I’m sure they are somewhere in the ether.

Before the start of every season, college athletes must sign an NCAA “student-athlete statement” to affirm their eligibility. It covers things such as educational records and drug testing, and for years it included a passage in which athletes gave permission for the NCAA and related parties “to use (the athlete’s) name or picture to generally promote NCAA championships or other NCAA events, activities or programs.”

Participant

Paid - Monthly

It allowed their images to be used for promoting ncaa events not for private entities (video game makers) to use their image. That is why the athletes won their suit. The minor leaguers sign over their rights for private use. That is why it would be much more difficult for them to win a law suit.

Participant

Free

Here is an example of waiver. Also a good example of a contract of adhesion.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/chi-northern-illinois-nil-waiver-20150326-htmlstory.html

These documents don’t come out at trial because the schools (and other entities that make you sign things like this) know that it won’t hold up. The purpose of these documents aren’t to win at trial.

The real problem that the minor leaguers have is that if they choose to make a stink of it, the video game will just take them out – and most of them like the fact they are in the game. Again, we are making them victims of our imagination.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

ats wrote:

The real problem that the minor leaguers have is that if they choose to make a stink of it, the video game will just take them out – and most of them like the fact they are in the game. Again, we are making them victims of our imagination.

You speak very definitively and confidently about something it would be almost impossible to actually know.

Participant

Free

Almost.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

Host families would be really good for a lot of those guys – really good. Not only would they save money, they would eat better, they would party less, and they’d get in less trouble.

I’ve always wondered why they don’t have these more places (I was thinking they had some of them in the low minors, but I could be wrong). Many of the guys who played in college have already had experience living with host family during Summer ball, and many of those lead to life-long friendships. It would be good for fans and players (though there would certainly be some “incidents” that would have to be dealt with).

Great idea, and I really hope it takes off.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The host family program is not new. They’ve been doing it for years in Peoria, SC and JC. Always a good idea to bring more attention to it, though.

Participant

Free

Yeah, it is pretty amazing how willing a lot of fans are to help out minor league ballplayers. People are pretty amazing sometimes.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A familiar non-roster player thinking aloud about the personal financial impacts of a delayed season for them (and all minor leaguers).

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The COVID-19 relief plan Pres Trump and Sec Mnuchin discussed in the press conference today will help most of these guys during this severe crunch. I assume they will qualify for it. Mnuchin said they plan to have the checks issued to people in a couple weeks. As the post above said, $800 is significant to many of these guy, and this should be more than that.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years