Minor league salaries

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league salaries

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 395 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So to be clear, the $1 MM per club is NOT earmarked for minor league players. Apparently not for umps, either.

Participant

Free

It almost makes you cry to see that they are dealing with the 40 man people first instead of the minor leaguers. Who do you think is the most desperate for money. They don’t all live with mom and dad.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals make a move to help the minor leaguers.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The way Joel Sherman worded his tweet that I posted on the previous page leads one to believe that MLB and MLBPA will do something for the minor leaguers but not until they finalize the plan for the 40 man players.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We will have to see, but it would not surprise me if universal per diem coverage is the blanket answer from MLB. Good the Cards made a move to do something before it was agreed to by all teams. On the other hand, the MLBPA has no interest in the minor leaguers. I didn’t see anything in that tweet to suggest otherwise.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It looks like the Cards are catching up with some, while ahead of others…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is from the former GM of the State College Spikes.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals were a day ahead of the league-wide mandate.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If this AP writer is correct, and I have no reason to doubt him, this is substantially better.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Participant

Free

While not exactly great, this is much better than the $25 a day was initially reported. That’s roughly $1200 a month and should help substantially with housing, etc.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some teams were paying per diem only, which is the $25/daily. This mandate from MLB standardized $400 per week across MiLB for the next two weeks only. For that reason, I would recommend not extrapolating that into monthly pay.

What happens from April 9 on is TBA.

At that point, hundreds more minor leaguers would normally be reporting to extended spring training, normally eligible for per diem, but not pay. Whether MLB plans to pay them something, too, could change the overall picture.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A minor league players advocacy group has been formed, but is not a union. Their stated goal is to double salaries to $15K per year. Among its leaders is the lawyer leading the class action pay lawsuit.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/former-mizzou-pitcher-now-a-st-louis-attorney-helps-organize/article_54deb6ce-45bb-50d6-acda-e447022a292a.html

Participant

Free

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Impressive.

P.S. The rough math if all the money goes to Cardinals minor leaguers is close to $1,000 each.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I only wish he had made it a matching gift based on his less generous teammates chipping in another $250k.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good news if the rumor comes to pass. The EST players are at the bottom of the salary pyramid.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The $400 per week per player runs though May 31.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s tells you something about them when MLB players who are making so many millions of dollars are so uncaring and/or greedy that they won’t join Wainwright in helping to support the minor league kids during this difficult time for them.

Participant

Free

Mudville I have no solid information but I think there is a requirement for major league players at some point in their careers to participate in a charity of some sort to help their community. Most will have a foundation with their name on it but those foundations have mostly been aimed at helping the underprivileged or poor sections of their cities. I just don’t think that minor league players needs have ever been in the equation. This is a first but I wholeheartedly agree with you that other players or their foundations could contribute to the cause.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I do not want to appear non-appreciative of the wealthy who contribute to others less fortunate. That is not the case. However, it is also fair to note that those in high income brackets (in any field) can gain significant tax benefits by creating a charitable foundation. There is also a lesser PR benefit. Many do wonderful things, but those charitible endeavors driven by less than full sincere motivation perhaps can disappear when a performer’s popularity and income drops.

I am not aware of any rule or contract that requires an individual in any field to create such a foundation or donate a portion of their earnings to charity. Many do voluntarily, some entirely out of the public eye. Other times, perhaps like Wainwright here, they make an announcement in part to encourage others to join them.

No matter what, such efforts are good for them and good for those who benefit.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 395 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years