Luke Gregerson

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Luke Gregerson

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Please remind me what those “bold promises” were which have been broken. Links would be nice. I have a bad memory. Thanks.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Simply look to who missed bats. Hudson likely remains in a rotation for this reason. Beyond that, look to whoever in the system is striking out more than 10 per nine. Those will be the guys who prove the FO is spot on. History says experience is not the key. Think about Worrell, Lahti, Wainright, Martnez, Rosenthal, Reyes, etc..

bccran
    Participant

StlCard25 may have hit the nail on the head, mentioning Helsley and Hicks. And maybe we should add Hudson to that list. We simply don’t have enough slots in our future rotation for all the strong arms in our system. Some of them will probably be slotted into the bullpen. Perhaps sooner than we think.

Anyone think they may have moving Reyes in mind to co-closer for the time being? A tandem of Gregerson, Lyons, and Reyes, depending on the situation?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

At WWU, Mo reaffirmed that Reyes will not be ready until May 1 but that there is a chance he could be used in the pen.

My personal take is that putting him in the ninth inning right when coming off Tommy John, when control was his weakest link before surgery, would not be a wise move. It is going to take some time.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

For Brian’s request:

Mozeliak after failing to sign Luis Robert
    “People are like, ‘You’re flushed with cash. Roll the dice.’ That’s a lot of money. That money might be redeployed elsewhere now. It will.”
    https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-miss-out-on-cuban-outfielder-robert/article_51ef547d-85e4-5131-bead-4c14b8b74563.html

MOzeliak on upgrading the bullpen
    “But clearly when you look at last year, the one-run games [lost], we definitely feel we need to ramp up the bullpen. So we’re going to try.”
    https://www.mlb.com/news/st-louis-cardinals-seeking-bullpen-upgrades/c-263520186

Mozeliak on the outfield logjam
    “We’re not going to have enough room at the inn. That is something we, as an organization, are going to have to take a very hard look at this offseason and decide what makes the most sense.”

Girsh on outfield logjam
    https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/prospects-pushing-cardinals-to-create-room-by-moving-outfielders/article_ec8e843d-5c5c-5089-bde3-cc22c6107b5c.html
    https://www.cardsblog.com/cardinals-outfield-logjam/

I guess the keyword above would be try. That’s all Mo seems to say these past 3 years…’We tried but we just couldn’t get anything worked out.’ Fans are tired of him saying they are going to make changes only to accomplish the bare minimum and then say everything is fine. Saying the bullpen right now is strong and good flies in the face of everything that was said as the season ended and the offseason began. There is no way Gregerson is a better option than other relief pitchers that were out there which includes Nicasio. We are going into the season with a very sketchy rotation and unproven prospects in the bullpen. *sigh*

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the links, but you reinforced my point. Not a one of the quotes even hint at the word “bold,” nor were any promises made that have since been broken.

Some fans get themselves all worked up, but the team officials are usually very careful not to fan the flames, so to speak.

By the way, Stanton WAS a bold move and it is not their fault he said no. I think Ozuna was, too, but many people seem to blow off adding a proven cleanup hitter still just 27 years old as if it was next to nothing.

I’d love to see them do more, too, and they still may. But I don’t see the current situation nearly as grave as some do, either.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agree on also wishing they had done more, but sometimes your hands really are tied. If Toronto didn’t want to trade Donaldson or Baltimore didn’t want to trade Machado, there isn’t much to fault them for. I’m sure if we offered Reyes, Flaherty, Kelly and Hudson they’d cave but that would be irresponsible.

Maybe we will see it, and maybe not but I would expect more money will be spent soon. Personally I’m not expecting to compete with the Cubs straight up but if the Cubs underperform a bit and the Cards overperform, I would expect the F.O. to make some moves to expedite the division contention process.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    PadsFS
    Participant

NJ315

They said one of the main objectives for 2018 was improving the bullpen. Is Gregerson the best they could do? Why not Reed? Maybe Gregerson will have a great year but the odds are not with him. Reed is 4 years younger. I guess they saved 5 million there is that upside.

It’s not a Gregerson vs. Reed situation. We definitively needed Gregerson for the pen this year. However, we ALSO need a guy like Reed.

Right now, our bullpen is Gregerson, Cecil, Lyons, Tuivailala, Bowman, and Brebbia.

Then you have Sherriff penciled in at the moment, with Gant, Mayers, Lucas, and Wick as AAA backup.

Then you have the younger starter prospects like Helsley, Hicks, Hudson, and including Reyes.

Another elite bullpen guy pushes Sherriff out, which is good, keeps the young guys starting in the minors for another year, and keeps the AAA fodder in AAA even if an injury hits.

NJ315
    Participant

Why did we need Gregerson? Exactly what does he bring to this team?

bccran
    Participant

The Cards have plenty of pitching, but no big names right now. Especially in the bullpen. But are we selling them short when we say the pen is weak?

1.) Brebbia was in 50 games, pitched 51.2 innings, gave up only
    37 hits and struck out 51. Outstanding WHIP of only 0.93. That’s pretty strong, and few are talking about him.

2.) Tuivailala was in 37 games, gave up only 35 hits in 42.1 innings, and had he 1.09 WHIP. He should be a lot more confident in2018 with some MLB experience under his belt now.

3. Lyons pitched in 50 games, gave up only 39 hits in 54 innings, and
    Struck out 68. Also had a 1.09 WHIP. He misses a lot of bats.

Add to this a possibly of an improved Cecil, the addition of Gregerson, Bowman, Lyons, Sherriff, Lucas, Gant, perhaps Gant and Hudson, and perhaps an overpowering Reyes and we may be in better shape than some are saying.

I wonder if they give Oh a one year deal to work under Maddux.

PadsFS
    Participant

Further, the bullpen looks okay right now, not elite, but not bad. What will it look like when an injury or two happens? Not good at all.

PadsFS
    Participant

NJ315

Why did we need Gregerson? Exactly what does he bring to this team?

Gregerson is quite good imo. His HR rate ballooned last year, but that looks like a complete anomaly based on his career. Moving out of Minute Maid Park will help too.

He adds dependability, a veteran presence, a much more likelihood of being a quality replacement for Oh.

PadsFS
    Participant

bccran

The Cards have plenty of pitching, but no big names right now. Especially in the bullpen. But are we selling them short when we say the pen is weak?

1.) Brebbia was in 50 games, pitched 51.2 innings, gave up only
    37 hits and struck out 51. Outstanding WHIP of only 0.93. That’s pretty strong, and few are talking about him.

2.) Tuivailala was in 37 games, gave up only 35 hits in 42.1 innings, and had he 1.09 WHIP. He should be a lot more confident in 2018 with some MLB experience under his belt now.

3. Lyons pitched in 50 games, gave up only 39 hits in 54 innings, and
    Struck out 68. Also had a 1.09 WHIP. He misses a lot of bats.

Add to this a possibly of an improved Cecil, the addition of Gregerson, Bowman, Lyons, Sherriff, Lucas, Gant, perhaps Gant and Hudson, and perhaps an overpowering Reyes and we may be in better shape than some are saying.

I wonder if they give Oh a one year deal to work under Maddux.

I don’t trust Brebbia or Tuivailala to repeat their 2017 performances. Brebbia had a +4 ERA in AA and a +6 ERA in AAA in 2016. His FIP in 2017 was over 3 in AAA and over 4 at STL. The projections have him at a 4.25 and a 3.91 ERA for 2018. Tuivailala is at 3.40 and 4.01 ERA for 2018.

ZIPS, btw, has the following projected ERAs for our relievers:

Gregerson – 3.34
    Lyons – 3.62
    Cecil – 3.26
    Bowman – 3.54

bccran
    Participant

Okay, by why would Brebbia regress? Granted, he was beat up
    in 2016, but he came out strong in 2017 with a 0.79 WHIP at Memphis in 15 games before being called up and excelling in 50 games at the ML level. Maybe the light bulb turned on. He’s only 27. He throws hard enough. Same thing with Tuivailala. Why would zips or anyone else predict higher ERA and WHIP?
    He did well, learned what it’s like to face major leaguers, and should be stronger for it. Lastly, why predict a regression for Tyler Lyons when he has worked hard to learn how to apply the skills he’s developed and now is way up there in confidence after his 2017 performance.

Plus, the influence of Maddux on all three should probably be considered.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Ozuna by himself is not enough. He was a very good start. They need to do more by adding another big bat preferably at a corner infield spot.

Sorry but I don’t trust either pitching addition. I trust them about as much as the guy they shipped off and pay to play for Seattle now.

They have given no indication they plan any other moves. If anything they have all but said they are done. That is not comforting at all. As it stands this is not remotely a playoff caliber team.

bccran
    Participant

10 Cardinals made it to St. Louis for the first time in 2017. It’s what we do – build from within.
    Those players know now what it takes to be successful at the major league level, and are working out hard in the off season to be prepared to show how much they belong. Best to consider that when assessing how successful this team could be in 2018. That grass always looks greener…..

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Yet those 10 players who made it to sTl did nothing but lead us to 3rd place finish, if that is what you want then we should just keep doing what we are doing, but we are not winning this division any time soon and most likely not even making the post season. Doing the same thing over and over and failing is reason # to do it differently..and last 2 years have been failures but the Cards front office either to stubborn or to stupid to see it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In another thread, I asserted that 2017 was a transition year as a lot of older players were cleared out before, during and after the season and replaced by farm system products. In hindsight, being able to do that and still make the playoffs would have been admirable. Having said that, however, one would hope for increased stability and bottom line improvement in 2018.

Bottom line, you can argue that you don’t like what they are doing, but saying they did nothing different is inaccurate.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Dont agree in the slightest brian.

“We are going to try” generally is a non sensical statement meant to put off or pacify. And they use it liberally.

A rather famous muppet once said “do or do not… There is no try.” Now while I don’t always agree with the philosophy he espoused (to put it mildly), the point here is that if all you are doing is trying, you’ve got issues.

Getting things done in the real world takes a different mindset… For a multitude of reasons.

Other teams figure out your line in the sand and outbid you. Or just wont work with you. Or other things.

At the end of the day, they keep ending up with mediocre players because they dont have the stones to pull the trigger on big ones. That takes TRYING… Which is the definition of the word that I use.

His definition of trying is most definitely different from mine. His hits a wall and he quits.

Mine goes and gets what we need to be a better team.

If you are going to try and win, you need to actually go after good players occasionally… Or you arent trying.

NJ315
    Participant

I do see they have done some things. Ozuna was a very good addition. But it seems every year they also get a reliever Cecil last year and Gregerson this year and then Leake and Fowler type signings that really didn’t make much sense. So far they have avoided the perfunctory free agent signing so that’s good. I think Cecil will be ok. I do not like the Gregerson signing at all but I will be more than happy to be proven wrong on this. Will they do more? who knows.

2018 will answer many questions, how good is Pham?, is Carp durable and good as he ages?, who is the real Wong?, will Grichuck step up? which Gyorko will we have for the year 1st half or 2nd half? Can Martinez become an ace? Can Wacha build up on last year? and finally what do we have in Waino?

Should be interesting.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s one way of looking at it, Nooner. But its not the only way. Anyone can be successful without having to dominate.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brianpnoonan, I am confused over what I said that you are disagreeing with. I never mentioned trying to do anything.

PadsFS
    Participant

bccran

Okay, by why would Brebbia regress? Granted, he was beat up in 2016, but he came out strong in 2017 with a 0.79 WHIP at Memphis in 15 games before being called up and excelling in 50 games at the ML level. Maybe the light bulb turned on. He’s only 27. He throws hard enough. Same thing with Tuivailala. Why would zips or anyone else predict higher ERA and WHIP? He did well, learned what it’s like to face major leaguers, and should be stronger for it.

Lastly, why predict a regression for Tyler Lyons when he has worked hard to learn how to apply the skills he’s developed and now is way up there in confidence after his 2017 performance.

Plus, the influence of Maddux on all three should probably be considered.

Great response bccran. I don’t know why ZIPs/Steamer predicts certain things, but I personally don’t think that either Brebbia or Tuivailala will continue to put up sub-3.00 ERA’s, at least in the upcoming season. That’s difficult for anyone to do and neither of them have the minor league pedigree that would give one reason to EXPECT that level of performance. I do have hope that they will. Plus, it’s not horrible to have a couple young guys getting 4.00 ERAs in the majors.

I am much more confident in Lyons. ZIPS is probably factoring in his time as a starter and thus not accounting for the overall package he brings as a reliever.

My overall point is that I fully expect that they will sign another reliever to complement this bunch, despite missing on Reed and what they were quoted as saying recently. Shifting Brebbia/Tuivailala out of the more high-leverage roles and keeping Sherriff and Gant in AAA is something that needs to happen.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Mo did

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.