Kwang-Hyun Kim signed, Adolis Garcia DFAed

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Kwang-Hyun Kim signed, Adolis Garcia DFAed

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As I see it, the roster is no different from last year other than Kim is here instead of Wacha. They made it work last year and they will this year, too.

Returning Martinez to closer would be my most likely scenario if everyone is healthy and productive (which odds are won’t happen). I am surprised there has been no talk all winter about the closer opening.

Depth is something I would almost never trade away unless it can help me get another piece to fill a gap elsewhere. Currently the biggest need might be a bat, but the outfield seems to me to have more surplus than the pitching side. Then again, there are plenty of free agent options out there that would not cost players in return.

All of the young guys on the roster have minor league options so there is no urgency to trade anyone. (If there is a depth-driven trade, I could see it at the end of spring training to free up 40-man space, as they did in recent years with marginal MLB guys like Breyvic Valera and Josh Lucas.)

Having said that, I think the older starters (Ponce, Gomber) are eventually going to get pushed out. I just recorded my DannyMac podcast for today and I brought up this very point.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

It seems that Kuechel is the kind of pitcher the Cards like to hit AGAINST so why hire him to let others blast us?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have no problem with the Kim signing. The Cards probably would have gone after more of the name brand pitchers like Madbum, Kecuchel, or Ryu had they had the payroll space but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kim put up numbers almost as good as those three.

Brian, I have been concerned about the closer situation and have posted about it numerous times. I have advocated going after Brad Hand or Edwin Diaz and other posters have as well. I did not feel comfortable with CMart as closer in 2019 and I won’t feel comfortable with him as closer in 2020.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I am fine with Carlos until Hicks returns.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Might consider adding Corey Dickerson from the left side.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With starting pitchers only throwing 4, 5, or 6 innings, long relief is more important than it ever was.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like this signing a lot, nice and short, low money, swing or starter, nasty slider and curve, worst case scenario he is a lefty out of the pen and for 4mil or so, that isn’t a bad investment…best case scenario we get a solid 3-4 lefty for the rotation…

i really don’t like the idea of Dickerson though…to me he is a box score after the fact guy…his stats may look enticing but watching him play i have been extremely under impressed every time i have seen him out there

Calhoun is more interesting to me as a bullet for power from the left side even with the K’s. He’d fit as a nice complement to Oneill or Bader potentially… still i don’t like him much either

For a lefty bat (non super impact trade) I’d rather look at Akiyama, who might be 31, but has a blend of power and average, as well as speed. If we can nab him on a low cost deal, he might very well fit right into the platoon for the OF. Maybe 2yr 15m with 3rd year mutual option?

I would rather take a guy with limited power but can hit for average…which almost no one on the team knows how to do. And as lefty that is a bonus. IF he could hit .270 with 14 HRs, i’d be happy with that kind of player…instead of the all or nothing types we currently have on display

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, you are right. Some have suggested trades to address the closer opening, but they aren’t necessarily guys known to be available so I pay less attention.

My gut is that the Cards would be far more likely to add a reliever via free agency who could slide into a setup role when Hicks returns than to try to pry loose a good closer who makes good money (eg. Hand) or take on a reclamation project (eg. Diaz) that would cost them players in return.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The related 40-man roster move is Adolis Garcia being designated for assignment. My prediction is he will be traded in the next week (or at least claimed off waivers).

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not a surprising move. Garcia is clearly the lowest on the pecking order of OFers, and could easily be traded or claimed by a rebuilding team. I could see him being a useful piece on a team like Miami or Pittsburgh.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“the outfielder’s slide…”

A simple word play or…an homage to the sole lowlight of Garcia’s St Louis career? Hard to say…hopefully Garcia puts in some solid time in another system and gets a big league run.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Adolis Garcia might be a good fit for the Marlins. Supposedly they were looking at Puig. Maybe they can double down on the Cuban angle and sign both. It might be a good PR move for the demographics of their fan base.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Garcia has much more upside than Ravelo in my opinion.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Brian, I consider the pitching depth better than it was last year. We have more guys who are major league proven. More that are major league ready, and as many or more than last year probably major league ready by the end of the year. I dont consider it a problem just pointing out the consequences.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good points in both posts, CC. On the former, one could argue that Garcia might have more upside, but isn’t Ravelo the better player now?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

My gut sense on this signing when first hearing about it was positive. The Cardinals have had a good track record getting pitchers from the Asian leagues, and the guy is left-handed and a former top dawg over there.

With the financial terms, now I really like the signing. Like Bob, I get the sense Kim will be real good in 2020. But if he goes like the other guys, he will regress quite a lot in ‘21.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I don’t know that Ravelo is the better player now – particularly if you consider defense in the equation. And since neither one is likely to play much next year we should be looking more for their 2021 impact. I would argue that peak Ravelo isnt going to.help us much where if we get peak Garcia he might.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Age difference: Garcia 11 months younger

Defense: Garcia has plus arm, Ravelo also plays first base

2019 Triple-A OPS:
    Ravelo .856
    Garcia .818

2019 Triple-A wRC+
    Ravelo 111 (11 percent above Triple-A average)
    Garcia 89 (11 percent below)

My prediction: I will be surprised if Ravelo ends 2020 with St. Louis.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This guy is going to be a lot of fun…..if he can get outs. It would be like hitting the jackpot on something you got for cheap at a garage sale or flea market.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I hope this becomes important, meaning he did great and they want to keep him. Due to his time in the KBO, does he automatically become a FA after the two year deal? I recall cases where it has went both ways.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would assume that he would have a clause in his contract to make him a free agent, similar to Mikolas or Oh.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the signing … adds pitching depth at a very reasonable price. You can never have enough pitching depth in my book. We have seen how this depth has helped the Redbirds over the years.

Understand the García move. Had hoped He would have been able to help at the Major League level. Was a bit surprised the Front Office had not moved one of the outfielders via trade by this point.

Any take as to why the team did not designate Cecil? Could they have taken a shot at asking him to move to the AAA roster after he cleared waivers? Or, is there concern that some team would claim him?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1964cards asked:

Any take as to why the team did not designate Cecil? Could they have taken a shot at asking him to move to the AAA roster after he cleared waivers? Or, is there concern that some team would claim him?

There is a segment of fans on Twitter who went absolutely nuts when the team cut Leone instead of Cecil and they are doing it again with Garcia. I wrote the following article the first time, explaining why the Cards have likely kept Cecil and the points haven’t changed since last month.

I believe the incessant whining has little to do with Leone or “JAG” as the cool internet kids call Garcia, and more about their hatred of Cecil’s contract. This will be back the next time the Cards drop someone else from the 40-man. Some fans have to have a team whipping boy and of course look for any reason to bash the front office.

It is so easy for people who have no financial cares to want the Cardinals to eat $7 million now instead of just waiting a few months to see if Cecil can contribute in 2020.

Off my soapbox and back to the question posed… Here is a key sentence from the article to answer one of your questions: “Cecil could not be outrighted to the minor leagues or traded without him first waiving his no-trade protection.”

To another of your questions, the Cardinals would absolutely WANT him to be claimed off waivers, because the new club would have to assume his contract. However, as I just explained, he is not going on waivers and if he did, he would not be claimed.

Can Anyone be Objective About Brett Cecil Anymore?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am a bit surprised that Garcia was the player removed from the 40 man roster. While I understand the need to thin the herd in the OF I feel there are less talented players on the 40 man. Ramon Urias comes to mind. Does Urias have any chance to contribute in St. Louis? Highly doubtful considering he has been passed over by Edman and Sosa.

If the Cards are able to trade Garcia for a decent class A prospect who has some upside then it will make more sense. Giving him up for nothing would be a bit puzzling.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.