Kwang-Hyun Kim signed, Adolis Garcia DFAed

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Kwang-Hyun Kim signed, Adolis Garcia DFAed

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Good sign…we finally got an LH starting pitcher.

Participant

Paid - Annual

inexpensive LHP who can start or work out of the pen.Why not? Leaves money to do something else if the chance presents itself.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In case anyone wants to watch the press conference…

Participant

Free

Ah, to live in a world where $4 million a year is considered cheap! And to think it took Stan 17 seasons to make $100,000.

I’m ambivalent about this Kim signing. But what the heck, he’s cheap!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

An additional $3 MM more in earning opportunity…

Participant

Free

Notice a new addition to the best looking uni in baseball? Yes Nike has invaded MLB unis.

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

Do card pay the fee on the potential incentives too? That would make sense. Otherwise contracts could be manipulated as a 1year 1mil deal with 9mil incentive for starting one game to save almost 2 mil. I really like this deal.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by MrperkinsMrperkins.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As they say, you can’t have too much pitching. And considering Thompson, Cabrera and Gomber are our only left handed pitchers with potential, it also fills a need.

Participant

Free

I like it a lot.

Yes, Keuchel & Ryu will both probably be better going forward. But there’s no telling how high you’d have to bid for those two, and more importantly whether they even want to pitch under the Arch. (For instance, we know now that Madison Bumgarner was practically pre-ordained to wind up with Arizona, if they wanted him. And of course they did, making less than half the dough per year of Strasburg and Cole.) And to bid and wait and lose out on those guys, those Scott Boras clients, could leave the Cards scrambling as February rolls around.

Better to get someone now — and on a modest Classic Cardinal Deal that leaves the Redbird manager with the flexibility to use the Korean southpaw strictly according to how he performs rather than be unduly influenced by how massive the $$ commitment.

————————–

And heck, maybe the Birds got a diamond in the rough. Recall that just 24 months ago the top two MLB free agents per MLB.com were Yu Darvish and Jake Arrieta. Not the top pitchers, or top righty pitchers, but the top free agents, period. And Miles Mikolas was a nobody, a low-hanging MLB reject trying to reclaim an MLB career, the #50 free agent at MLB Trade Rumors that offseason. And what’s happened in the two seasons since?

Darvish 219 IP and a 4.16 ERA
    Arrieta 308 IP and a 4.26 ERA
    Mikolas 385 IP and a 3.46 ERA

In case anyone’s curious, two years ago the other top free agent starting pitchers, per MLBTR, in descending order, were Masahiro Tanaka (335 IP, 4.14), Lance Lynn (358, 4.20), Alex Cobb (165, 5.36), and Mike Minor — the one guy who’s been roughly the Lizard King’s equal, with a 3.84 ERA over 365 innings.

If the Birds are very fortunate, and everyone is healthy & effective in Spring Training, and Carlos Martinez is ready and rarin’ to return to the rotation, then Kim can be a sort of lefty Poncedeleon, a security blanket swingman from the left side. That’d be okay. But something tells me they’ll get quite a bit more than that from him.

Participant

Free

Wasn’t sure where to post this, but Betances wants 10M, I was thinking he might be an under the radar possible signing for a year while Hicks recovers. 10M is way to rich after his 2/3 of an inning last year. An OF or two for Giles (or CMart for Yates and Patino) seems more likely.

Participant

Free

Martinez role should be as the closer until Hicks returns. Rotation should be: Flaherty Mikolas, Kim, Hudson & Wainwright with the hope that Reyes can regain his projections as a elite pitcher.

Participant

Free

GameCard, I agree that’s likely to be the case but as said before, you can never have to much good pitching.

Participant

Free

Absolutely!

Participant

Free

I know Kim has to be added to the 40 man and see that Brian has already done that; however, the 40 man matrix only has 33 players listed including Kim. What am I missing?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not that it is likely to happen…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Chitown, the Betances talk should go on the RUMORS/TRADE IDEAS thread pinned to the top of the page.

MM3, sorry, as I know the Roster Matrix can be confusing. 33 is the number of players who ended last season on a major league roster. It also says at the top of the table that there are 41 players on the 40-man. Their names are in bold.

All of the 40-man players did not finish 2019 with St. Louis, so my practice is to leave them where they were at the end of last season. Here is the breakdown, which I got by counting the bolded names.

StL 33
    Memphis 5 – Reyes, Woodford, Urias, Garcia, Williams
    Springfield 2 – Gomber, Montero
    Palm Beach 1 – Seijas

That makes 41. Hope that helps.

Participant

Free

Very good video on the Cards site of him going around Busch meeting folks. Hicks was there also.

Participant

Free

well at 8 million, he isn’t breaking the bank. could be a great deal if he does really well. if he doesn’t pan out, well it doesn’t hurt us a lot. heck they aren’t gonna use money to get any serious talent on this team or pay their minor leaguers so he might as well get paid even if he turns out bad.

Participant

Free

<Brian wrote: MM3, sorry, as I know the Roster Matrix can be confusing.>

Actually Brian the OOPS should be on me as I know that some of the 40 are on minors rosters but I thought by clicking on the 40 man matrix I would get them all. Good for me to remember in the future.

Participant

Free

Wonder how long it will take before Mo and Mike are accused of ‘dumpster diving’ because of the price. This guy doesn’t appear to be a discard from other teams and I am happy that they didn’t go overboard on contract length or cost.

Participant

Free

Sure hope that Kim comes with an interpreter as good as Eugene was for Mr Oh.

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

Does anyone know if the posting fee goes up based on the incentives possible?

Participant

Free

The posting fee is based on guaranteed money, not incentives. I am sure there are clauses in the contract between leagues, that establishes what the posting fee is, that would allow a grievance/arbiter process for manipulation of the guaranteed money versus easy incentives.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d rather bet $8-11.5M over two years on Kim than $45M over three on Kuechel. Dallas will even cost more than Kim’s two years if he signs a one year deal. If his slider really is a wipeout pitch, he could be an excellent bullpen candidate at the worst. I’d imagine he starts unless things go crazy (on the good side) with Cmart and Reyes.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Curious where the Cards try to fit him in. Hard to see 4 lefties in the bullpen (Kim, Miller, Webb and Cecil). If he starts does he push CMart or Waino to the pen?

CMart
    Gallegos
    Gant
    Brebbia
    Reyes
    Miller
    Webb
    Cecil

That puts both Helsley and Fernandez in Memphis.

With Helsley in Memphis the rotation there gets crowded

Helsley
    Cabrera
    Ponce
    Gomber
    Woodford
    Rondon

And the bullpen looks potentially elite

Elledge
    Whitley
    Fernandez
    Dobzonski
    Jones
    Rameirez
    Kaminiski

Yes there will be injuries but I cant see the team going into ST with that much surplus. Can Mo/Girsch deal from strength?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years