Jack Flaherty Injured

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jack Flaherty Injured

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

So…..have we got any late breaking news on Mr. Flaherty?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All they said about Flaherty on the 6 o’clock news here was what we already knew. He’s out with a shoulder injury and will miss the start of the season. They also said that Alex Reyes has received a shot in his shoulder and he will be back in camp this Friday.

Jack Flaherty has already banked $5.6M plus his $2M signing bonus plus whatever we fans give him in 2022. It will total up to around $9M that he will have collected so far. That should keep him from starving plus give him a little cash to put in his pocket. I wish him the best. But if he can’t stay healthy, he will have to look for another job that pays him the millions of dollars that he is used to getting paid.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Meanwhile, Bill Dewitt Jr has gained approximately $70-80 million in value from Mr Flaherty over that span. So if Flaherty is ultimately too hurt to provide significant value, then Mr Dewitt, who provides exactly zero value to the viewing public, can summarily dispatch him in favor of another player who will continue to provide maximum value with minimum strain on Dewitt’s wallet. Ain’t it quite the game??

forsch31
    Participant

Free

But if Flaherty had signed a long term contract before getting injured, he would get paid for those years whether he throws another pitch in his career or not. Also, while Dewitt doesn’t provide anything to the wins and losses physically, he does provide the structure to the team that puts a consistently competitive product on the field. He also puts his capital and assets on the line to purchase the team and keep it playing baseball. I wonder what the Cardinals would have been like over the last 26 years if Busch family had kept the team?

Both sides profit from the other’s efforts.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Overall I’m not the biggest fan of the dewitts but at least the Cardinals are still relevant year to year. So you have to give them that.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As I recall … Flaherty opted not to sign a LTD. He opted to go through arbitration year-by-year. He wanted to maximize the value available to him through the existing CBA versus the Redbirds buying out his arbitration years at a potentially lower value. You cannot lay that decision on DeWitt.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A pitcher who can’t stay on the field when in his mid 20s doesn’t have a bright future, that’s the disagreeable reality. Jack and Alex are both in that category.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree that Flaherty messed up if the Cards really did offer a long term deal and he turned it down. My understanding is that it has not been discussed, per all the reports I’ve seen. Has anyone heard otherwise; that the Cards really did make an offer?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is why I don’t like offering long term deals when you don’t have to. They are dumb, dumb, dumb. Going year to year is better for the team IMO. Giving DeJong that long term deal after he had been in the big leagues for a few weeks never made any sense to me.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Flaherty is getting a second opinion. You can decide how to interpret it as no one who knows is saying any more right now.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

I have a feeling that the first doctor said surgery. The second one will probably say the same thing. Fingers crossed.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Sounds like we can cross Mr. Flaherty off the 2022 pitching roster.

Happ? Lester? Rich Folkers anyone?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lester has retired but Mo should contact Happ and/or LeBlanc.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think you get a second opinion if the first is good… ugh

trade for Montas or Manaea and sign Gsellman to shore up the pitchers

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Well, even if Flaherty never pitches another inning, he has already pocketed more money than most people make in a lifetime. So, there is tragedy and then there is tragedy.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

When will we know something about Flaherty?

You guys are aware that the success of our season just about depends upon this outcome – don’t you?

r/Esteemed Rat

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Just read on Facebook – yes, I know – that the Cards are reaching out to J.A. Happ about a possible return in light of the recent injuries.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I hope Flaherty can not only pitch, but pitch at his best.

If not, then I hope he was smart with his money because everyone works hard at something – and some things pay better than others with successful entertainers being at the tip of the compensation pyramid.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Would Yepez be an overpay for Manaea?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think both these guys are done for the year but hope I’m wrong. Doesn’t bode well that our best pitcher is one of the oldest guys in the league. I think finding someone smart enough to keep our pitchers healthy should be number one priority. I don’t know how that is accomplished. Either by not throwing as hard as they can every pitch or throwing long toss every day but whatever it is, it needs to be done.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Manaea should bring a Chris Bassist type return. Yepez plus.

We should use the trade thread for any further ideas. Back to Flaherty….

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

. . . something he’s been able to pitch through in the past.

Well, he’s not pitching through it now. It seems reasonable to think he will not be able to pitch through it again in the future. Hopefully he can stay on the mound for a decent stretch this season, but we can never write write it in ink.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Shoulder injuries are always a concern. They often take a long time to come back from, and there is no magic surgery like TJ for elbows.

I doubt we see much of either Jack or Alex until post all-star break, with a good possibility of no work at all from one of them.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years