Greg Holland Thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Greg Holland Thread

This topic contains 247 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by stlcard25 stlcard25 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 226 through 248 (of 248 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For the record…

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is a very touchy situation. I wish his rehab would have been more dominant. There is really one way out if he fails much longer. You have to try and stay in contention. I would also feel better if they sent Bowman out. Mayers has pitched better, but he will likely be the one sent out.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Holland continues to pitch poorly after this rehab, is the FO faced with a decision? They will want him to stay on the roster because of the $$ they shelled out…. same for Gregerson, Leone and is evident with Cecil. Bad or not they stay because DeWitt’s pockets are lighter and our GM thinks it might make him look bad if we parted ways with any of them.

That is, of course, why we’ll likely be seeing Fowler sitting on the bench until the end of his over the top contract$$$$.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I suspect that they’d drop him by the trade deadline if he hasn’t turned it around.

Gregerson still has another year on his deal and may be of use. Leone I think will be ok, he’s just been bit by the homer bug. His K and BB numbers look good. Cecil was kind of called out by Mo yesterday. That doesn’t sound good for him at all. He may be a change of scenery piece at the seasons end with the Cards eating some salary if he doesn’t turn it around.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Holland activated. Bowman to the DL with… more blisters…

Cardinals Activate Reliever Greg Holland

NJ315
    Participant

those blisters caused that wicked line drive to Ozuna

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You could tell Bowman had some issues last night. He kept blowing on his fingers.

Good to at least drop one of our couple worst relievers even if we’re stuck bringing back perhaps the worst.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Holland pitched well last night. Is there hope he can continue this? It all starts with throwing strikes, which he did.

MagnoliaCardFan
    Participant

Free

Holland, IMO, has hurt us more than his -0.8 WAR implies. I consider him the difference between winning the division and fighting for a WC slot. If he rebounds and earns his pay, I think we will win the division.

Trade Weaver for Machado. I don’t have confidence in Weaver. Especially given the emergence of some of our other prospective starting pitchers. He’s a speed bump in their development.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I dont think we can move Weaver with Wacha going down….especially if an oblique… as those can come back and be re aggravated so moving Weaver after Wacha is back might be spreading our SP depth too thin…unless of course Hudson comes up and sets the world on fire in Wacha’s spot whiel he is out if that happens)

Also…the way Weaver looked early shoudl make us be patient…he has all the stuff and is still young too..i dont think you give up on his career after a rough month for a couple months of Machado

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The best case for Holland is to become good enough to be the “closer” that Matheny goes to. That leaves Hicks/Norris for the 7th/8th and moves Gomber, Cecil, Tui, Brebbia, Mayers to spot or long men. Things will get complicated when and if Waino and Leone return, although the way our rotation is going , Waino may be needed as a starter by then.

MagnoliaCardFan
    Participant

Free

IMO, Weaver’s future is the bullpen. Yes, he has stuff. But it seems to become hit-able the second time it’s seen. I feel that he has a 100-120 IP limit as an effective pitcher. Compare his development to Flaherty’s if you will.

Too much for a small sample of Machado-perhaps. Let’s get an O’s prospect added. But I feel better about Hudson, Poncedeleon and Gomber than I do Weaver. Helsley (SP?), …I have no opinion at this time except I’m thrilled he’s in our system. Ditto Gant. Weaver is not too far removed from his max trade value (IMO) so let’s move him before he loses his starting slot to another of our prospects as Wacha’s injury provides auditions for some of our other prospects.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MCF, what would your starting rotation be if Wacha is out for a good while, Mikolas and bring up Memphis rotation? I never thought that bringing Wainwright back would become a good option.

MagnoliaCardFan
    Participant

Free

Mikolas
    CMart
    Flaherty
    Hudson, Gomber or Poncedeleon. Pick two. And there is still Gant and Mayers. We don’t lack for legit options. If we didn’t have so many, I’d be more patient regarding Weaver’s mediocre-AAAA performances in the middle of the season. I feel that I’ve seen this previously and, w/o an extended break, his slide will continue.

Answering your question–M.o.L, yes. I feel like Weaver is tracking his performance pattern of being less effective as the grind wears him down.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Per reports on ESPN the Greg Holland era will be officially over.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar Cardinals27.
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When our FO signed Holland, I thought it was a gift from Above. I thought we were getting one of the best closers in the game and the final piece of a lock down BP. I thought Boras was doing us a favor by letting us have him.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I heard this morning that the Nationals might be interested in signing Holland. That would make sense since half of their roster are Boras clients.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The agreement certainly isn’t money. It must be role and innings.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

This is the kind of bad signing that just keeps kicking you in the midsection.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Screw Boras and his client! Dude’s fastball is hittable and that’s what doomed him. Guy should’ve never been signed! The oddness just didn’t seem right.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The F.O. panicked at the last possible moment and thought that Holland would be their savior after screwing up with Gregerson, Cecil and Leone. How much efficiency came out of these four? How much did they help this team?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Holland had his first appearance with the Nats in a game they were up 7-2. He walked the first batter and then struck out three in a row.

Viewing 23 posts - 226 through 248 (of 248 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years