Fowler traded

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Fowler traded

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 189 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not funny Nigel.

bccran
    Participant

It would be problematical to bring Arenado in here and have 3 of Bader, O’Neill, Carlson, Thomas, and Williams with him in the lineup. It would put undue pressure on he and Goldy to carry the offensive load. Another move has to be afoot.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All of these outlets keep claiming that Fowler’s salary is $14.25 this year. I am fairly certain it is $16.5 so I don’t know where they are coming up with that. So if the Cards are paying $12.75 to move him the savings would be $3.75.

Also, not surprised Maddon would want Fowler back. He always liked Dexter.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

I could live with the outfield and give them all playing time.

But I would like to see them bring back Ozuna as a third big bat. Of course, then I would be hoping we get the DH this year.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

$2 million is signing bonus, which has already been paid, leaving $14.5 million as salary

nbr1hawkeye
    Participant

Free

Ok. How about Flaherty and Bader for Benentendi and Ottavino and cash? Does that make it better?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

According to Cots the Cardinals are paying 14.75 and the Angels are paying 1.75. That makes more sense.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Wow. I didn’t see that coming. I know I wondered if they could move but didn’t expect it.

Baring any other moves, I guess we have Carlson in RF, Bader in CF and O’Neill in LF with Thomas and Williams backing them up. Also, Dean will probably start in Memphis. There will be roughly 2000 plate appearances by the OFs to be divided up amongst them. 600 will go to Carlson and the other 1400 will be split up. I could see O’Neill and Bader getting between 900-1000 of them.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Ok. How about Flaherty and Bader for Benentendi and Ottavino and cash?

No, the Cardinals aren’t trading Flaherty. And Bader’s floor is 3 WAR due to his defense.

Stelmacki
    Participant

Free

“ Ok. How about Flaherty and Bader for Benentendi and Ottavino and cash?”

Wait, are you being serious or just trolling?

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Would the ptbnl be someone sooner like Regnifo? That would free Edman up in that jack of all trades position.

They’ll get at least another acquisition out of this via FA. Maybe if they don’t get someone someone ready to contribute a reunion with Miller might be in the cards. Carpenter is going to see some LF IL-dh time regardless. IMO

I think big reaching for a Ozuna reunion is a stretch but I’ve clearly been wrong before.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well this was a good move though I would have preferred it to have been carpenter. Fowler could at least play some defense and hit at times last season, carpenter isnt good anywhere other than first and if he’s getting lots of playing time there, we will be in trouble. Hopefully it will work out for fowler. I don’t see this move as weakening the Cardinals since I wasn’t expecting fowler to do better than the other guys we have so no reason for a trade unless it’s for someone that is actually a big step up. I think this lineup can win the way it is. We can always make a move midseason if need be.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

While i am glad that Fowler is gone I don’t believe in the expectant outfield for a second, not saying that they can’t grow into the roles but so far they haven’t proven it and it will be a team weakness sadly, unless we make more moves…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My take is that they will give the young players time, but there is nothing stopping them for going out and grabbing a veteran OF at the trade deadline if it is demonstrated they need help at that time.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, this was a surprise. Even if we are paying most of the money, it’s still a good move. Perhaps we will see more Edman in the OF, but I am still hoping for Mo to make my dreams come true and swap for Nimmo to lead off.

Best of luck to Dexter out in LA.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree that this was no salary dump since we are only saving a sliver of our total payroll. This is about freeing up a roster spot and AB’s for someone else.

Conventional wisdom is that these extra AB’s are intended for an internal option. While that is likely you can’t rule anything out yet. Mo has been feeling frisky lately. Could someone else be in the works?

Gallo?
    Nimmo
    Conforto?
    Peralta?
    Ozuna?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Conventional wisdom is that these extra AB’s are intended for an internal option. While that is likely you can’t rule anything out yet. Mo has been feeling frisky lately. Could someone else be in the works?

Gallo?
    Nimmo
    Conforto?
    Peralta?
    Ozuna?

I don’t think there’s any way the Mets would trade Conforto, but he would be the best of the group. I like Nimmo as the anti-O’Neill with the high OBP. Gallo seems like he will cost too much. Peralta may be Mr Average. I don’t love Ozuna but if he’d accept another one year deal I might consider it. Finally, Benintendi could be in play now. The idea that he would cost Flaherty is pretty out there, but we could get him for prospect depth if we are willing to take on the salary.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Updated article. For those with questions, please read it, as I hopefully addressed them.

Cardinals Trade Outfielder Dexter Fowler to Angels

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you’d said before the off-season that we would get Arenado and move on from Fowler with only $14.75M due between them for the 2021 season, I think most of us would have taken that. Hopefully Dexter plays well in Anaheim and can be a mentor for Adell and enjoy playing alongside Trout.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Addition by subtraction. Mo has had a very very good month…..and we’re only 5 days into it. Reggie Jackson-Mr. October. Marilyn Monroe-Miss December(’53). Mo-Mr.February?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Could Trout be the mysterious PTBNL? Don’t put it past Mo.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Could Trout be the mysterious PTBNL? Don’t put it past Mo.

Lol. If the Angels were to send a bad contract back at some point, it could be Albert. The Yadi, Waino, Albert and Carp send-off Tour with Full Fans by July™?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I better finish this first cup of coffee and refresh this site. I might be still asleep.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

LACardFan wrote: “The Cardinals have finally pivoted to full blown run prevention”

nailed it!
    +1

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 189 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.