Early Rule 5 discussion

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Early Rule 5 discussion

Viewing 18 posts - 76 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As I wrote in the article on the home page, Gomez had to be added now because of minor league free agency. The Cards have move time to add the other Rule 5 eligibles who are not free agent eligible. The date for FA (five days after the World Series) is ahead of the R5 protection date (11/15).

Bottom line: Don’t assume Gomez will be the only 40-man addition.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Thomas needs to be added. He showed his value during the season and in the AFL big time… and has more potential than some others already on the 40-man roster. We need some starting pitchers, right?

bccran
    Participant

There are some guys on the 40 man that are just taking up space –
    Walsh, Naughton, Naile, VerHagen, etc.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Will the Cardinals go ahead and eat the $3M on VerHagen now or at least invite him to camp?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good question. My guess is that they bring him to camp unless they absolutely need the roster space. Even if you’re a multi-millionaire tossing $3M in the waste basket has got to be painful. As I write this I come to realize you’re likely just being sarcastic, but I decided to go ahead and post this anyway. (I hate seeing guys getting big money thrown in their lap for contributing absolutely nothing.)

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not being sarcastic at all. It is a legit question. The Cardinals usually don’t like to eat money until they absolutely have to. They also don’t like admitting mistakes but then again who does?

KylMss
    Participant

Free

Can they just DFA him and see if he passes through waivers or does he have the right to refuse an outright assignment to Memphis? No way someone would claim him off waivers. Might as well get the 40-man roster spot freed up and see if can prove anything during Spring Training, if you don’t run the risk of paying him to go away. I understand not wanting to eat $3 million. It’s that roster spot that becomes a problem.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Stratton will be DFAd.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would say Stratton and Reyes are the top two non tender candidates.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How often are 40 man roster players paid? It seems every year the Cards add 40 man spots either the day before the deadline, or on the deadline date. Just wondering if there is a cost savings with bump up in salary to MLB minimum.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No, I don’t believe there is a financial factor – a benefit in going fast or waiting until the deadline to add players to the 40-man. Players are paid during the season only. My guess is that clubs wait as long as possible for roster moves in case of injury in winter ball or trades or anything unexpected that could impact the decision.

However, there is a timing nuance in terms of putting players on outright waivers, aka removing them from the 40-man. Teams want to try to pick times when the odds are lowest that another organizations have openings so they are less likely to claim their player.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

One more day until players have to be added to the 40 man roster of be exposed to the Rule 5. Will the Cards add any more? Who is the most likely?
    I still think Thomas will be added, but who knows if any trades are in the works today?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For members, my annual Rule 5 protection prediction article is posted.

The Cardinal Nation’s 2022 Rule 5 Protection Picks

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not surprised they only added Thomas. Paniaugua is 2 to 3 seasons away from the big leagues, if he makes it at all.

slidinlefty
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Possible pitcher that intrigues me…
    knuckleballer Matt Waldron. Put him between fireballers and you would’ve have everyone falling over trying to hit him.

slidinlefty
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just checking out pitchers that were left unprotected for the Rule 5 draft. A couple guys seem interesting to me that could be used in the bullpen and work toward developing them further. In no certain order…

Victor Vodnik – Braves Throws up to 3 digits and a good change, but is wild.
    Thad Ward – Red Sox Disable list casualty with good control and solid sinker slider mix
    Austin Bergner Tigers – Hard thrower w/ 3 solid pitches
    Jayden Murray Astros – Hard thrower great slider w/ 2-1/2 pitches and good control
    Mason Englert -Rangers Disable list casualty Hard thrower w/ a good changeup and improving slider

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

I have a Rule 5 question concerning the last post. If a player is taken in the Rule 5 draft and they are injured and start the year on the IL, but come back with a month left in the season; if they complete the season on the 26 man roster, does that complete the teams’ obligation under the rules and the player is now eligible to be optioned to the minors the next year?

Viewing 18 posts - 76 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years