Early Rule 5 discussion

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Early Rule 5 discussion

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Paniagua and Gomez would still be my choices for additions. Stratton, Deluzio, Reyes, and Walsh could be non tender candidates. Although I hope Walsh gets one more chance to stay healthy. Trades are always possible to create more Rule 5 roster space. Another factor is Reyes and VerHagen would have to return from the 60 day IR.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Pages and Thomas making strong cases in the AFL for protection

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good optimism and good very early results for the two. But it is hard for me to overlook questionable results all season long based on just 10 AFL at-bats and 8 2/3 innings pitched, respectively.

As was pointed out in our Memphis Starter of the Year article posted this morning, Thomas had a very rough second half, with his monthly ERA getting worse each month – from 6 in July to 6.5 in August to almost 8 in September.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Whitley is another who may be outrighted.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pages and Thomas might be in AFL to stir up interest.

ejgonz22
    Participant

Free

Regarding Whitley, I think you give him a chance to perform next season while healthy.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Whitley will be 28 by the time ST starts. They might decide to move on.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

It’s looking like a strong AFL showing will increase the possibility of Thomas getting a roster spot in a few weeks. I still wonder if Parsons, who led our minors in wins, will get a spot or left our there for someone to grab in the Rule 5. Gomez looks like a possible add as well. My hunch is that the Cards want to keep at least one spot open for a free agent or a Rule 5 draftee.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My sense is that the Cards have protected fewer than we thought lately. Admittedly, I haven’t looked it up.

As to Parsons, he may not light up MO’s computer, but he will light up someone’s.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

2022 Tommy Parsons reminds me a bit of 2021 Austin Warner.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Paniagua and Gomez are no brainers. A nice 2-1 or 3-1 deal this month would be helpful. Hudson for a minor leaguer would be on my agenda too…..

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Parsons reminds me of Jake Woodford. Not flashy stuff but just gets the job done.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

BW quote: 2022 Tommy Parsons reminds me a bit of 2021 Austin Warner.

So BW, you think Parsons will not get a 40 man roster spot? He could be useful out of the pen in 2023.

Warner got released from AAA this past spring. I assume the Cards did that to allow him a chance to make it with another team.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Parsons might contributo next year at some point but there are many factors involved in adding a guy tô the roster for rule 5 protection. If not protected would another team select him? If selected, what are the chances he stays all year on someone’s majorleague roster? What are the consequences of losing him? Do we have others who can replace him? Is his upside high enough the org/GM could look stupid if he blossoms somewhere else?

Though I realize there is a couple of million difference in salary, I would prefer tô bet on a Reyes come back then non tender Reyes tô protect Parsons.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The chance of getting much from a guy with a bum shoulder is slim, and even if Reyes can pitch he will not be the same after shoulder surgery. He and Flaherty are longshots to stay on the mound any length of time.

Parsons stat line from last year in AAA reminds me of Lance Lynn the year before he got called up. Kind of high ERA and not a real great K/BB but he kept at it taking his turn all year while other guys had various issues. Not eye opening but didn’t get blown out much at all. Once he came up he took his regular turn for 5 straight years. Not saying Parsons is a Lynn, but showing up is an important attribute which we are sorely lacking.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t see much similarity other than the level.

Lynn was 22-23 years old in 2010 at Triple-A in his second full pro season and was a recognized top prospect. He started every game. His ERA was 4.77, FIP 4.83.

Parsons was 26-27 years old in 2022, his second full year – at Triple-A. He was in and out of the rotation both years. His ERA was 4.33, but his FIP was 5.97, similar to his 2021. If he didn’t win 12 games, I am not sure he would be under discussion.

He is a great guy to have in the system, but I don’t think he will get a 40-man spot now.

slidinlefty
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not so sure I wouldn’t protect Austin Allen. He has a bit more experience to be whomever’s backup if one of the catchers get hurt. I think Herrera needs another full year in triple A. Be a better third catcher option than what we have given we need to acquire a starting catcher. Who knows. Maybe he finally figures it out at the plate as he has put up good numbers in AAA for 3 years. He had Murphy in front of him at the big show. I would like to see the organizational players/prospects we have put up some numbers in AAA.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see any real need to protect Thomas or Gomez. Thomas has never even pitched consistent at AAA level and who would keep someone like that on a MLB roster all except as a long man all year. As for Gomez 174 Ks in 442 ABS is a huge question mark. He is not a great defender and for a team that seems to be wanting more contact and less Ks then Gomez doesn’t seem to be the answer IMHO. I would take the chance and see if they got claimed.

Christopher Jeske
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gomez will be an interesting decision. Of course it makes sense to protect the best players. I think it makes even more sense to add/protect Gomez if they are intending to trade O’Neill and/or Yepez.

Also interesting to me in this is remembering last year when they let Plummer become a FA. Gomez has basically the opposite profile (righty vs. lefty, power vs. on-base), and I think is a little younger. And in hindsight, no one’s still complaining about Plummer. Maybe there was no worthwhile exchange value for him.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Good thought about Allen, but I’m not sure another team would pick him up to be a backup catcher all year. It’s possible, but lots of players will be available via Rule 5 this year. Might also have to consider Clint Coulter for his bat as well. Not sure how good his defense is at catcher since he played a lot of outfield this year.

Tampa Bay will have a bunch of good prospects that they won’t be able to protect this year!

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Looks like Gomez is getting a 40 man spot, at least for now!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gomez’s K rate is way worse than O’Neill’s. OBP is .340 though.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gomez has been added to the 40-man.

Cardinals Add Outfielder Moises Gomez to 40-Man Roster

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gomez May be the only addition. But Thomas may be added eventually. Just guessing, but Paniagua may not be added since he has only progressed thru Peoria, where he struggled. That is not my opinion, but it might be what the FO is thinking.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Deadline for Rule 5 protection is November 15th. Tender deadline is November 18th.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years