Early 2022 Rule 5 discussion

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Early 2022 Rule 5 discussion

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    CardsFan552
    Participant

Free

verhagen will certainly be back. he will get every opportunity to compete, mostly because
    of 3 mil! but will fizzle out early or/and get hurt again.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the question is whether they DFA VerHagen or non tender Reyes, the call would be easy for me. Reyes has always been good when he’s been healthy, so unless his health is compromised, you keep him and stick him in a bullpen role (not closer) next year. The upside is too good. VerHagen has the upside of a $3M pitcher, so cut the losses and move on.

ejgonz22
    Participant

Free

Any thoughts on Alex Reyes possibly being non-tendered?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would keep Reyes if he appears healthy. We remember his struggles the end of last year, but his era was in the 1s most of last year. Can anyone imagine a healthy Reyes in this years bullpen?

Or trade him, as he ought to have some value.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

The team would have tô be very confident that Reyes wouldnt contribute next year tô non tender him. Would look ugly if he signs elsewhere and performs near his potential.

KylMss
    Participant

Free

I think you can include James Naile and Kodi Whitley to the list of potential DFA/non-tenders, too. Naile has been solid, but he’s about to be 30 and is a career minor leaguer. Whitley just looks like a guy who can’t get advanced hitters out.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Capel needs to be dropped. They can find CF AAAA depth and not waste a 40 man on him.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agree on Capel. Let Hurst have that job. Naile has been useful this year but guys like him can be found easily. I am a little hesitant in giving up on Whitley but I’d rather lose him than someone like Paniagua that could be an impact guy.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For CF depth, why not DeLuzio (.821 OPS) over Capel (.753) or Hurst (.788)?

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Does Redmond enter the picture as a guy we don’t want to lose to the Rule 5? One awesome night shouldn’t make the decision, but he has been hitting rather well lately.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, DeLuzio looks to fill depth pretty similarly. I know Hurst is supposed to be well regarded defensively and I seem to remember some vids of DeLuzio making some nice catches. But overall I prefer Hurst due to being a Cardinal draftee, being 2 years younger, and hitting from the left side. Just my personal preference.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Deluzio would be more useful. Similar attributes, utmore speed.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Also, Hurst already had his chance with St. Louis and was subsequently taken off the 40-man. He could earn his way back on, but it is more difficult. His results are not necessarily calling for it.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is Griffin Roberts elgible for R5 this year? I could see someone taking a chance on him with his draft pedigree. His numbers look pretty decent this year.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Yes, Roberts is Rule 5 eligible. Not sure he has done enough to warrant a roster spot though.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I’m not very familiar with minor league contracts, but Moises Gomez stays a Cardinal as long as he’s added to the 40 man correct?

He started a little slow in Memphis, but has definitely picked it up. Still only 23 and has raised his OPS in Memphis to .843. Adding him is a no brainer, even if he’s just an additional piece in a trade.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Any player on the 40-man is allowed three minor league option years. Gomez would return to free agency if not added.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I do not expect the Cardinaks tô protect Roberts but also wont be surpresas if he is taken. Having a good year though his walks are a little high

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Júlio Rodriguez hás his OPS up tô .900 in SPFD. Walk rate 20%. Homerun every 16 at bats. And hás traditionally been known for his defense. I dont care if he is 25, how do you let a catcher with that profile become a minor league FA?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Paniaugua and Gomez top the list of those needed to be added. Thomas and Rodriguez would also have to be considered as well. Pinder can be kept for 1 more year before hitting MILB free agency. Perhaps Fernandez is traded for a young prospect, but he was pretty darn good for us before he was sent down.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Parsons keeps pitching well, and adding up wins in AAA. Has he shown enough to warrant a 40 man spot this offseason?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It looks like Paniagua, Gomez, and Rodriguez have the best chance of being added to 40 man roster. Possibly Pinder, but I doubt it. I hope they add Rodriguez, as catching prospects are valuable, plus he can leave as a 7 year minor leaguer. His bat improved greatly this year.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think for Rodriguez a lot depends on his defensive profile versus Reposos. They dêem tô profile very similarly offensively. If Reposo is near equal tô Rodriguz defensively there is no need tô protect Júlio.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Thomas may have pitched his way out of consideration this last month.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

I agree that Rodriguez would be helpful but not sure the Cards value him the same way. They promoted Pages to AAA and added Allen at the deadline. CC makes a good point about Raposo as well. Maybe they put him in the AFL to see if he can produce at a higher level, but I doubt it.
    I agree with CC on Thomas as well. Bummer since I thought he would be an option to be considered for a role in the majors next year sometime.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.