Cubs thread

Viewing 25 posts - 701 through 725 (of 727 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cubs beat writer sees big moves ahead.

Participant

Free

So during the last 6 years, the Cubs:

– won 505 games
    – won 1 WS
    – appeared in 1 WS
    – appeared in 3 NL CS
    – finished with more wins than the Cardinals in 4 seasons

the Cardinals:

– won 478 games
    – won 0 WS
    – appeared in 0 WS
    – appeared in 2 NL CS
    – finished with more wins than the Cubs in 2 seasons

So Theo’s tanking and rebuild wasn’t really all that successful when compared to the Cardinals. He can claim an average of 4.5 wins a season more in the last 6 years and 1 more WS. Yet, they are staring at a rebuild of their team just like the Cardinals. However, the Cardinals have a farm system to rebuild with. The Cubs don’t.

One thing the Cardinals can say that the Cubs can’t: they only have 1 losing record season in the last 20 years. In the last 10, the Cardinals have no losing record seasons while the Cubs have 4.

Participant

Paid - Annual

As a Cardinal fan, I hope the Cards beat the
    Cubs every time out. On a personal basis, I hope Jed does well.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope the Cardinals beat the Cubs every time out also. Trust me there isn’t another team I would rather beat.

Having said that I don’t expect they are going to crash and burn. They literally just won the division so dancing on their grave seems premature to me.

I don’t build the Cubs up because I like them. I despise them but I believe it is wiser to be prepared for a tough battle than to get cocky and come up short.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From betonline.ag:

Theo Epstein Next Employer
    Mets 5/4
    Phillies 3/2
    Mariners 5/1
    MLB as Commissioner 5/1
    Rangers 7/1
    Yankees 12/1
    Dodgers 14/1
    Angels 16/1
    **Note: Must be hired by 12/31/21 for action.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nats considering making a run at a Bryant trade.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1329913694214631425

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs are in an interesting position. If they are truly making everyone available then I assume they would listen on Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Schwarber, Contreras, Heyward, Darvish, Hendricks, and Kimbrel.

The first four names on the list would be appealing to other teams but they only have one year of control left so that would diminish the returns somewhat. Contreras should fetch a nice return while Darvish and Hendricks should be able to fetch a big haul. They would have to eat a lot of money to move Heyward and Kimbrel.

The bottom line is that the Cubs may take a step back in 2021 but in doing so they are going to be bringing back a lot of younger talent and free up a lot of payroll space, which means they could turn right around and spend big on other elite players. I don’t think they will be down for long.

The Cardinals will need to be prepared go big in 2022 to match them.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gscottar, I think you’re overestimating the return the Cubs would get from those guys. While they may be able to build a decent farm from trades and then buy some free agents, it’s not like all the guys they’ll get back will be MLB ready by 2022. Bottom line, the Cubs won’t be back to championship quality for probably 3 years at best. If the Cards don’t blow it next year, they should be in year 2 of their championship window before Chicago may be back.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I guess we shall see. It depends if they seek players close to being MLB ready or not. Regardless, they will open up quite a bit of payroll room. Also, we don’t know how Hoyer will operate. It has been awhile since he was the top guy. He might be a little different than Theo.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Ken Rosenthal:

“Ricketts could be expected to receive between $100 million and $125 million in tax credits once federal and state officials determined that the renovation of Wrigley met national historical preservation standards.”

https://theathletic.com/2216310/2020/11/23/rosenthal-waiting-on-the-cubs-arenado-an-eventual-fit-for-cardinals-more-notes/

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Stop me if you’ve heard this before… “Playoff-worthy”

Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess Ricketts is just going to pocket the credits.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jed already has the lingo down pat, saying the Cubs will need to be “opportunistic” to retool and compete at the same time. Mo should have trademarked it! 😉

https://chicago.suntimes.com/cubs/2020/11/28/21718768/mediocre-nl-central-could-make-cubs-retool-easier-than-anticipated

Participant

Paid - Annual

My guess is that Hoyer will be like Mo and Friedman in that he will go big when the opportunity is there but is also going to build from within. Epstein got into the Dombrowski rut of gutting the farm system for short term gain and it fizzled.

Fortunately for Hoyer and Mo they reside in the worst division in baseball so they can be prudent and opportunistic and still have a good chance to win the division.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

New MLB title alert – Asst. GM/VP of Pitching!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Looks like everyone is a VP… Hard to tell which are replacements and which are new positions. But while Ricketts made a lot of cuts at lower levels, it sure looks like he has a lot of chiefs. And if others besides Theo left the organization, who and why? I am guessing beat writer stories are coming…

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

New MLB title alert – Asst. GM/VP of Pitching!

Ha. Deputy Asst GM/VP of Relievers coming soon.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Jed has respected for a number of years the way Cardinals do business as far as building from within and supplementing from the outside. Remaining a competitive, winning team every year that has a good chance of getting into the playoffs
    and perhaps going deep.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Speaking of Almora……whats the latest on the young gal he hit with a foul ball down in Houston last year? The last I heard she was not doing very well.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Tanking is not without its limitations…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs got their World Series out of that crew, so I’m sure they are not sad. No doubt that they are entering a rebuilding phase, which will have to start with building a farm that can supply their team with new talent, especially on the pitching side. I wish them all the worst of luck in that department.

Viewing 25 posts - 701 through 725 (of 727 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years