Cubs thread

This topic contains 443 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 5 days, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 444 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #107189
    Avatar
    Cardinals27
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    When comparing where both Cards and Cubs drafted from say in the last 6-8 years, it is amazing the Cards have come up with solid regulars, and usually clicked with their 19th/20th pick in the first round, and managed to find some gems in later rounds. BUt that is only part of it, as player development is the next phase in a draftees career. This is where I think our organization shines, and is underrated. Despite the greenness of some of our young kids this year, I have more faith that our coaches will get the most out of them.

    #107201
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    Just to be specific, the last time the Cubs had an early pick was going on five years ago, in 2015 (Ian Happ).

    #107261
    Avatar
    gscottar
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    It is too bad those Cubs fans have beaten you down. I hope you regain the high ground very soon!

    Well it isn’t just the Cubs fans. It is the Cub team that has beaten me down by advancing further than us for 4 years in a row. Hopefully the curse is over this year.

    #107286
    Avatar
    gscottar
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    This is what we are trying to overcome.

    #107299
    Dave
    Dave
    Participant

    Free

    I would like to extend the lead just so CMart doesn’t become an option. And if it ends up being a save oppt, I would prefer Schildt go with someone else and let CMart redeem himself another night.

    #107314
    Avatar
    gscottar
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I think you accidentally posted in the wrong thread Dave.

    #107418
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    Playoff odds following Friday Cubs loss:

    Cubs 21%
    Brewers 79%
    Cards 99%

    Winning NLC:

    Cubs 2%
    Brewers 6%
    Cards 91%

    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2019-mlb-predictions/

    #107431
    Avatar
    GameCard
    Participant

    Paid - Monthly

    Mike Shildt=Good Guy and Good Manager
    Joe Maddon=All Around POS

    #107434
    Avatar
    Onyxgem
    Participant

    Free

    Cubs are done

    #107446
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    #107810
    Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

    Free

    A lot of people have been looking at the Maddon employment situation top down, but since so many think Theo has mis-managed their assets into a fast closing window, maybe Maddon also feels that to a large degree. With that, along with the lack of public confidence from Theo, maybe it will be Maddon who proactively gives Theo the middle finger as he departs Chicago.

    #107811
    Avatar
    GameCard
    Participant

    Paid - Monthly

    I give Maddon the middle finger every time I see him on TV…he is a POS.

    #107890
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    I am really enjoying re-reading the last two or three pages of this thread.

    #107895
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    #107915
    Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

    Free

    The Cubs have six games left this year and will win them all. That will put them in the Wild Card game and they will go on to win the world series from there.

    #107938
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    #107941
    BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

    Free

    May not be the correct thread but I’d like to issue an apology to Mo for doubting him at the beginning of the season and middle of the season.

    #107974
    Avatar
    gscottar
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    The Cubs have six games left this year and will win them all. That will put them in the Wild Card game and they will go on to win the world series from there.

    Rat if that happens I will have to go stock up on more Mylanta.

    That is why I have mixed feelings on the Brewers this week. On the one hand I want them to lose so the Cards can clinch faster but on the other hand I don’t want them to lose too many to give the Cubs any faint hope of squeaking into the wild card. What we really need is for the Cards, Brewers, and Nats to all win the next few days.

    Is there any chance the Pittsburgh freaking Pirates could show a pulse and at least beat the Cubs once this week? Come on Pittsburgh you are pathetic!

    • This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by Avatar gscottar.
    #107978
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Is there any chance the Pittsburgh freaking Pirates could show a pulse and at least beat the Cubs once this week? Come on Pittsburgh you are pathetic!

    The Pirates are the Miami Dolphins of baseball. Even the good players they do have left, they don’t play. Sadly for them it won’t even result in a top 5 pick as their swoon didn’t start until the Cards crushed them after the break.

    #107979
    Avatar
    gscottar
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    May not be the correct thread but I’d like to issue an apology to Mo for doubting him at the beginning of the season and middle of the season.

    A little too early to coronate Mo as King of the Land. We still have a little work to do.

    While it appears that the FO’s decision to stand pat is going to work out I am still trying to figure out if our success down the stretch is because of the FO or in spite of the FO.

    It would be hard to prove either way and I suppose it really doesn’t matter. I go by the Al Davis motto of “just win baby.” We do that and Mo will deservedly get the fans off of his back.

    #107984
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    “What have you done for me lately?”

    It gets back to the old question of what is enough.

    Obviously, everyone here wants the Cardinals to win the World Series, but that is going to take a lot of good fortune. We all know there are better teams in the playoffs.

    Still, the Cards’ odds of winning the division are currently 95 percent. If they win the division, but lose in the NLDS or NLCS or WS, that would still be a major improvement over the last three years. In fact, just clinching a playoff berth is a major step up.

    You said yourself that your goal was for the Cards to go farther than the Cubs this season. That has already been 98% accomplished (Cubs playoff chances are 2%), so you will very soon have to give credit where due.

    #107990
    Avatar
    14NyquisT
    Moderator

    Paid - Annual

    In spite of…. its the players that got this done. The commentator on TBS mentioned that he looked at the offensive stats and saw no Cardinals in the top 15 in any category.

    I think that Edman may be the main catalyst to the Cards resurgence. 45-24 since he arrived. Who would have thought…

    #108008
    Avatar
    gscottar
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    You said yourself that your goal was for the Cards to go farther than the Cubs this season. That has already been 98% accomplished (Cubs playoff chances are 2%), so you will very soon have to give credit where due.

    That is correct and when it happens I will.

    I have never said that my expectations were anything higher than that. I am not in the world series or bust crowd.

    #108030
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    #108037
    Avatar
    Cardinals27
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Kimbrel is to the Cubs what Holland, Gregerson and Cecil were to us. At least we only have 1 more year of Cecil, and I really doubt he’ll pitch well enough in 2020 Spring Training to make the team.

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 444 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years