COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Viewing 25 posts - 651 through 675 (of 1,231 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I share the sorrow for BHC and his family.

Earlier this year, Pugs contacted me as he was having a problem getting logged in, but as we were working through it, he stopped answering emails and that is the last I heard from him.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Some may recall me talking about the Show Me League of collegiate wood bat baseball teams here in Ozark, Mo. Well today they announced one positive test one team and have shut that team down for the season. US Baseball put out that story at:
    https://www.ozarkssportszone.com/2020/07/07/show-me-collegiate-league-player-tests-positive-for-covid-19/

So it only took one test to shut down that team and they have 6 other teams playing out of that same ballpark so their seasons may not end well either.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

gscottar, I posted a similar question regarding Pugs recently.

Pugs, tip your cap this way.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Encouraging to know the Boras Corp. is able to remain afloat through these challenging times…

“Super agent Scott Boras got three PPP loans totaling a minimum of $1.35 million, one each for his self-named agency, endorsement and memorabilia venture and his sport training company. Ever willing to wait for a deal, Boras’ loans were approved just three days before his lenders, Merchants Bank of Commerce, ceased accepting PPP applications.”

https://www.sportico.com/2020/business/finance/dc-united-ice-cubes-big3-among-ppp-recipients-1234608703/

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Loans are forgivable under certain conditions set by the government, primarily paying employee wages over a set period of time.

OMG and we wonder how so much money didn’t go as far as needed. No doubt most of these ‘loans’ will be forgiven but the AAA teams that got them makes me wonder how they will ever pay them back. Forgiven I guess.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

These PPP ‘loans’ are a necessary part of the stimuli packages that are designed to keep our economy from crashing, and taking the world’s economies with it. It almost doesn’t matter where the money goes, just so long as it somehow gets into the economy.

bccran
    Participant

For the uber wealthy, like Boras, it will probably go into personal investments.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Some of those who got the PPP money returned it.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Well the Show-Me League at US Baseball Park in Ozark is done. Two Covid positives is all it took.’

Show Me League shuts its doors on 2020 season

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Koean league game.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I see where several MLB teams are going to have some cardboard cutouts of fans and who knows what. The above is a Korean League game. I can’t wait.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Did we ever get a full story on the 4 mill we owed on Leake’s contract? Last I heard is Leake doesn’t get paid because he opted out but Cards sent the money for this year included at time of trade to Seattle so they might be out of luck. Is this right?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Did we ever get a full story on the 4 mill we owed on Leake’s contract?

Here are two articles that indicate the Cardinals’ payment is forgiven. So if money had already been exchanged, that would mean a rebate is due back.

https://www.bnd.com/sports/mlb/st-louis-cardinals/cheap-seats-blog/article243935282.html

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/dbacks-mike-leake-opt-out-2020-coronavirus-covid-19.html

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

For what it’s worth, I’ve read a couple of articles emphasizing the semantics of “opting out” versus “electing not to play.” Opting out means the person has a validated high-risk health condition and will be paid. A person without a high-risk health condition is simply electing not to play and will not be paid.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

While I am taking Posey’s decision seriously, I will also point out that Molina’s odds of winning another Gold Glove just increased.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some good news on this subject.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Now we are going to see how the process works resulting from a positive test after players have reported…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yet, a Rays player was harassed for wearing a mask…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yankees closer out…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A really interesting question posed here.

“The MLS had 2 teams with outbreaks and they dropped them out of the restart entirely. No automatic W’s for opponents… they just adjusted the groups/schedule.

“Is MLB ready to do the same and completely drop teams out of competition to be safe. Doubtful.”

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Is anybody starting to think that the 2020 season will ultimately be called off at the last minute?

r/Esteemed Rat

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Rat, maybe . . . . but I think there’s a good probability (75% or better) the season starts. I lean slightly the other way for completing the season, i.e., 49% probability the World Series is completed.

Viewing 25 posts - 651 through 675 (of 1,231 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years